Poly student forged transcripts to enter SIM and SUSS

Raubern

SINGAPORE — Desperate to get into a local university to satisfy his mother, Kieffer Tay Kai Xian altered his polytechnic transcript and submitted the forged documents on two occasions to SIM University.

When it was renamed the Singapore University of Social Sciences (SUSS) in 2017, as part of its restructure into the country’s sixth autonomous university, Tay applied once more with a doctored transcript.

But his lawyer said that he was “under an immense level of stress” from his mother at the time, who allegedly kicked him out of their home for not getting into university.

Tay, now 24 years old, was ordered to pay a fine of S$5,500 in a district court on Thursday (Dec 19). He is currently finishing his bachelor’s degree at SIM Global Education in association with the University of Birmingham.

He pleaded guilty to one forgery charge, with three others taken into consideration for sentencing.

The court heard that he submitted the forged polytechnic certificates from 2016 to 2017

On one occasion, he changed his cumulative grade point average from 1.76 to 2.76 on his Temasek Polytechnic transcript.

He thought this would increase his chances of getting into a finance course at SIM University. After submitting the transcript, the university management found that it was doctored and rejected his application. However, he persisted in applying there.

In March this year, a management executive at SUSS made a police report, stating that Tay had repeatedly submitted doctored polytechnic certificates in order to gain admission.

In mitigation on Thursday, Tay’s lawyer Jeffrey Soh asked for probation to be imposed.

Mr Soh described Tay, the only child in his family, as “constantly under his mother’s radar”.

“The mother’s intentions in his studies are both altruistic and… worldly at the same time. She must keep up appearances in every way, from the house they live in and the car they drive to the places that they go on holidays,” Mr Soh said.

The lawyer also claimed that she has verbally and physically abused Tay and his father for many years.

When Tay did poorly in his polytechnic studies, she continuously criticised him for his failures to get good enough grades to get into a “respectable local university”, Mr Soh added.

Tay’s father submitted a statutory declaration to the court, where he said his wife was a “very face conscious person” and was frequently violent towards them.

“She wanted my son to get into a university partly for his future, but mostly for her to have face in front of friends and relatives,” the elder Tay wrote.

In response to Mr Soh, Deputy Public Prosecutor R Arvindren said that Tay should not get probation as he had committed the offences after turning 21.

“The reason we had proceeded to charge him in court was due to his repeated forgery actions. This is also not a case where the prosecution is submitting for imprisonment, where the criminal sanctions are much more severe,” the prosecutor added.

District Judge Samuel Chua told the father, who was present in court without his wife, that he has arranged for a court counsellor to assist them in improving their relationships.

For forgery, Tay could have been jailed up to four years, fined or both.

Edited by Raubern
↡ Advertisement
  • Shocked 2

I hope young people don't do this sort of thing in future.

Get a real online degree from the internet lah. Just need to pay money only.

Its the in thing to do these days. So many people in top jobs doing it.

I am thinking of getting one myself.

Dr James would sound great and help me in my line as a massage the rapist of professional models.

:grin:

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 6

Hope the papa never doctored even the statutory declaration lor, that is even a more serious offence lor. And now, even SIM Global Education also very stressed becos of him. 

• Praise 1

Tay’s father submitted a statutory declaration to the court, where he said his wife was a “very face conscious person” and was frequently violent towards them.

“She wanted my son to get into a university partly for his future, but mostly for her to have face in front of friends and relatives,” the elder Tay wrote.

These father and son are the ones with balls. Why are they so soft? They should throw her out of the house.

I agree with james, why doctor your cert and run into the risk of jail term if found out, just go Upton U in india, i'm quite sure you can getr a degree for a fair price.

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 1

"When Tay did poorly in his polytechnic studies, she continuously criticised him for his failures to get good enough grades to get into a “respectable local university”, Mr Soh added."

This part is normal isn't it? Otherwise he expects a Christmas present for failing? Beating a child for failing is also pretty normal isn't it?

13 hours ago, Raubern said:

Tay, now 24 years old, was ordered to pay a fine of S$5,500 in a district court on Thursday (Dec 19). He is currently finishing his bachelor’s degree at SIM Global Education in association with the University of Birmingham.

So he sends fake transcripts to SUSS/SIM, they report him to the police but their other branch accepts him... With or without the fake transcripts?

Looks like this SIM/SUSS  has such low standards.

55 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

These father and son are the ones with balls. Why are they so soft? They should throw her out of the house.

How can a son throw the mother out of the house? Surely you mean he can leave home?

13 hours ago, Jamesc said:

Dr James would sound great and help me in my line as a massage the rapist of professional models.

Yes, pay for someone else to doctor it for you.

But to be fair, in this case, the univ already detected the forgery earlier, rejected the student's application, but since the student persisted, well ...

• Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Watwheels said:

Can't tell what's the situation. Sometimes, this is the result of marrying "up" for the guy. Marry woman from richer family, or more successful, sometimes this happens ... the man becomes the junior partner. No sex also [laugh]

But if the mother so like to compare children's achievements, then actually should have more, and more chances for having achievers.

Edited by Sosaria

1 hour ago, Sosaria said:

Yes, pay for someone else to doctor it for you.

But to be fair, in this case, the univ already detected the forgery earlier, rejected the student's application, but since the student persisted, well ...

first time detected, should already report to police liao.........

Now no one can accuse us of not being hungry anymore. We will now stoop to any level to compete with holders of fake degrees and degree mills.

The world is our oysters. Well done.

• Haha! 1

16 hours ago, Jamesc said:

Jail for sinkies. Jobs for foreigners.

• Haha! 3

He is currently finishing his bachelor degree. Means what? Will he or will he not get the degree after finding out he got into the course by illegal means. 

On 12/20/2019 at 10:44 AM, Jusnel said:

first time detected, should already report to police liao.........

Screw him to the max.. After putting all the efforts and paying the tuition fees.. Probably he won't get his degree if he didn't qualify in the first place

↡ Advertisement