Suspension can last at least 200,000 km.

riot168

1 hour ago, riot168 said:

youtube link ..

wdAdePqsOz8https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdAdePqsOz8

The mechanic is saying good suspension can last 200,000 km.

No wonder my 10yr old car still have not changed shocks or spring yet.. 

You all think it's true?

not exactly true.

if your car is purely spring and shock then should last at least beyond 5 years and often tiny or small leaks occurs at around 10 years and that further depends if you travel (1) on flat and smooth road or bumpy road with road humps and / or (2) lots of starts and stops and / or (3) how much you load your car (full load or only the driver) each time you take it out for a drive 

but if your car is equip with hydraulic and air suspension, this combination is often seen to lorry up quicker

• Praise 3

38 minutes ago, Hamburger said:

Go jb more often and the life is shortened by half.

The humps at sing custom are the culprits. 

I agree completely, especially at Woodlands (2nd link doesn't have this issue, but it does have the problem of very narrow lanes). 

But why bother to single that out when our normal roads are going from bad to worse? It's become the norm to see new potholes with every day of rain. Is this first world standard? 

• Praise 3

Constant digging of roads to service the cables underneath also contributed to uneven road. 

The contractors usually did a bad job patching the roads after that. 

And our HDB estates are installed with countless humps. Not suspension friendly too. 

• Praise 1

7 hours ago, Turboflat4 said:

I agree completely, especially at Woodlands (2nd link doesn't have this issue, but it does have the problem of very narrow lanes). 

But why bother to single that out when our normal roads are going from bad to worse? It's become the norm to see new potholes with every day of rain. Is this first world standard? 

frankly the biggest problem is myself.

i chiong over humps every time. Cant stand those that so scare of their car falling apart if they go any faster.

suspension is designed to take abuse. Roar....

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 3

1 hour ago, Hamburger said:

i chiong over humps every time. Cant stand those that so scare of their car falling apart if they go any faster.

I assume you do slow down a fraction and take a look around. People do so more for awareness of surrounding than to protect their suspension. The humps are there for reasons.

Edited by Columbian78

1 hour ago, Hamburger said:

Uhh... You might think differently if you drove a supercar. Or even a sports car that's really lowered. 

It's not just the suspension that suffers damage. When you hear the bottom scraping, it's damn painful. That happened with my AMG GT (stock ride height) once when the "Pit Crew" team suddenly diverted us from 2nd link to Woodlands on whim because of traffic conditons. Ended up a few of us with that model had to stop at the shoulder and check our cars. I also ended up expressing my displeasure with the organisers.

It's even worse if your front splitter or something kena... 

In my M5 I also used to heck care. That car could take it. In my M140i I don't baby it either, but I still try to preserve my suspension as I track the car occasionally and I want everything tip-top. Why damage things because of their stupid incompetence and my stupid impatience? 

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 2

3 hours ago, Turboflat4 said:

Uhh... You might think differently if you drove a supercar. Or even a sports car that's really lowered. 

It's not just the suspension that suffers damage. When you hear the bottom scraping, it's damn painful. That happened with my AMG GT (stock ride height) once when the "Pit Crew" team suddenly diverted us from 2nd link to Woodlands on whim because of traffic conditons. Ended up a few of us with that model had to stop at the shoulder and check our cars. I also ended up expressing my displeasure with the organisers.

In my M5 I also used to heck care. That car could take it. In my M140i I don't baby it either, but I still try to preserve my suspension as I track the car occasionally and I want everything tip-top. Why damage things because of their stupid incompetence and my stupid impatience? 

Fully agree. It is not just the suspension that might be damaged. It is the time taken to repair/ replace the suspension or bodykit or  wait for the new suspension/ bodykit elements to arrive, plus the costs involved and driving around without the parts in the meantime. Most of the these incidents are avoidable.

If one factors in the above, the sensible approach is to slow down on ridiculously high humps and be observant for pot holes or undulating terrains that could damage the parts.

• Praise 1

6 hours ago, Columbian78 said:

I assume you do slow down a fraction and take a look around. People do so more for awareness of surrounding than to protect their suspension. The humps are there for reasons.

No need teach a grandfather to lay eggs. Canto adage. 

5 hours ago, Turboflat4 said:

Thats why I given up body kits and lowered ride. 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

16 hours ago, riot168 said:

youtube link ..

wdAdePqsOz8https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdAdePqsOz8

The mechanic is saying good suspension can last 200,000 km.

No wonder my 10yr old car still have not changed shocks or spring yet.. 

You all think it's true?

IIRC.
It's true for my previous car.
The rear shocks lasted > 200k km.
The front shocks should last > 200k km as well but I changed it out for troubleshooting at about 150k km.

I followed closely to the factory setup of semi-performance tyres using the same rims without excessive over-inflation.  Usually go over humps at a higher speed and the load is about 2/3 full. 

IMHO.
For my previous car,   I would say that the suspension setup needs semi-performance tyres to match to the shocks.  I have tried comfort tyres but they don't seem to match well, regardless of tyre pressure.   

The shocks and tyres need to work together.   One or two I know ,  those that have upgraded to bigger rims with performance tyres, usually the factory shocks will fail earlier - likely because the shocks have to do all the work because of the performance tyres. 

• Praise 2

16 hours ago, Turboflat4 said:

GPGT from my previous car, an old Forester which was lowered and set up for Sepang during a few years when I was based overseas. Scraped a few humps in Msia and a couple of carpark ramps in Genting Highlands.

exhaust.thumb.jpeg.9821a7360f20a7b8ef3b80f1a41e52e8.jpeg

Cheap car but still heart pain when one hears it grinding.

↡ Advertisement
  • Sad 1