MG ZS / HS and EV to be launched at Singapore Motorshow 2020?

RevStarZen

Message added by kobayashiGT

Hi Guys, this thread has been kinda long for newbies like me to read on!

Here's the continuation thread that you guys can discuss and review on the MG HS & MG ZS!

Went to the motor show & sat in the HS... overall build quality better than Rav4/Forester/Citreon C5 Aircross/Kamiq with more usage of soft touch plastics and leather trimmings but price too close Forester or Aircross which is the cheapest of the lot amongst the SUV I am surveying...

Very hard sell with such pricing if they were going for $10k less plus 5 yrs free servicing I might have considered...

• Praise 1

On 1/10/2020 at 11:45 PM, RevStarZen said:

This pricing for the HS...🤦‍♂️...Good luck to EUROKARS EV PTE LTD...

053E8673-58E8-4A98-BC61-B569FDC44FC3.jpeg

Seriously TEK....  the MG might be very well built for a Chinese brand, but if u google ard, its reliability, esp in Thailand, remained poor over there. 

And I can get the Mazda CX5 2L Premium at $125k... Your fake CX5 lookalike is just $2k cheaper?! 

And what about spares and infra support? Ok we completely disregard the full electric model since its not practical to have a full EV in SG... but for the reg gasoline model, where are we gonna get the parts? No sane customers will rely on the AD 100% on parts availability, which if the brand failed to sell, it will be another Chery brand in SG where the junk Chery QQ parts costs as much as some Euro brands and everything has a 2 months lead time becos the AD doesn't keep any stocks 

I can imagine local MG customers scoring taobao hard for parts if they go buy this extremely overpriced China products. 

• Haha! 1

Quite sad that a very established brand like MG who used to make excellent roadsters in the past is now under the hands of the Chinese and shunned by buyers when its pedigree and tradition should have earned them respect instead. Just being nostalgic esp when I see the classic MG cars still on the road. Ask @BanCoe and he will surely agree[:)]

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 2

14 minutes ago, Spring said:

Quite sad that a very established brand like MG who used to make excellent roadsters in the past is now under the hands of the Chinese and shunned by buyers when its pedigree and tradition should have earned them respect instead. Just being nostalgic esp when I see the classic MG cars still on the road. Ask @BanCoe and he will surely agree[:)]

Excellent is a relative term bro. British can't make good cars for nuts. MG, Morris, Vaxhaull etc sold well in this part of the world back then ONLY becos customers back then had little choices. Back then, u need to buy american if you want large, powerful and well made cars. For the rest of us, we had to settle for extremely backward Morris, MG etc. We just had to put up with the dismal reliability, overheating, questionable build quality etc back then.  

Notice how fast these British brands fell once the Japs came on board? And then we have the Koreans.... The Brits products are simply not competitive, and they are expensive. 

MG is just a badge now bro. There is 0 British contribution inside... 

• Praise 2

18 hours ago, Spring said:

It could be a good car. Just that the local agent kill this brand with its pricing. 

• Praise 3

7 minutes ago, RevStarZen said:

Agreed fully.

Sad in the sense the car never even have a chance to take off here.  Just like perodua.  The brand also killed by the agent. Agents are very important in the success of a car brand .

• Praise 1

22 minutes ago, RogerNg_185295 said:

Sad in the sense the car never even have a chance to take off here.  Just like perodua.  The brand also killed by the agent. Agents are very important in the success of a car brand .

For Perodua, just like Proton, their prices are actually not THAT cheap. It looks cheap in bolehland only becos they tax other brands hard...

Once they leave the protection of their gov, their cars are really not cheap. They simply do not have the economic of scale to push the cost down. 

Also not helping is the Bumi putra policies that made things really expensive and low quality. Perodua is the better of the lot only becos they tied up with Daihatsu. 

2 minutes ago, Cheefarn said:

For Perodua, just like Proton, their prices are actually not THAT cheap. It looks cheap in bolehland only becos they tax other brands hard...

Once they leave the protection of their gov, their cars are really not cheap. They simply do not have the economic of scale to push the cost down. 

Also not helping is the Bumi putra policies that made things really expensive and low quality. Perodua is the better of the lot only becos they tied up with Daihatsu. 

I thought the govt has stop protecting them long ago?

3 hours ago, RogerNg_185295 said:

I thought the govt has stop protecting them long ago?

haha... what do u think? SMLJ import tax, excise duties etc.. imported brands are still expensive although the differences is not as large as b4...

On 1/14/2020 at 3:38 PM, Cheefarn said:

Seriously TEK....  the MG might be very well built for a Chinese brand, but if u google ard, its reliability, esp in Thailand, remained poor over there. 

And I can get the Mazda CX5 2L Premium at $125k... Your fake CX5 lookalike is just $2k cheaper?! 

And what about spares and infra support? Ok we completely disregard the full electric model since its not practical to have a full EV in SG... but for the reg gasoline model, where are we gonna get the parts? No sane customers will rely on the AD 100% on parts availability, which if the brand failed to sell, it will be another Chery brand in SG where the junk Chery QQ parts costs as much as some Euro brands and everything has a 2 months lead time becos the AD doesn't keep any stocks 

I can imagine local MG customers scoring taobao hard for parts if they go buy this extremely overpriced China products. 

Perhaps the reliability of the older NA MG engines are but the same can’t be said of the newer tech right-sized TC engines co-developed with GM engines though...They are quite reliable based on UK’s long term reliability tests.

4 hours ago, RevStarZen said:

Good news as it is now less than $100K...

https://www.carbuyer.com.sg/test-drives/mg-hs-review-singapore-price/

Hope the price dives even further to below $90K to attract more buyers to consider for it’s abundance of specs.

You need to be gungho enough to splurge your hard earn money into such unknown and Chinese brand in SG. Overall reliability and long term dependability remains a big question mark. 

Rem what happened to the Chery and Geely owners in SG back then? You buy these cars becos of budget constraints, which at $100k for this fake CX5, it is anything but budget. Sure so you rely on the AD for full after sales support, but hope you can stomach the frequent lack of ready parts and insane pricing of parts for this MG. In the end you spend a hell lot of $$ waiting and searching for parts which completely defeats your initial goal in spending less on a car. 

Of cos, you can always rely on taobao for all your parts needs. But you need to have more than just basic knowledge on this MG if you expect this route to work effectively for you.

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1