MG ZS / HS and EV to be launched at Singapore Motorshow 2020?

RevStarZen

Message added by kobayashiGT

Hi Guys, this thread has been kinda long for newbies like me to read on!

Here's the continuation thread that you guys can discuss and review on the MG HS & MG ZS!

8 hours ago, VDub_Golf said:

Heard that the HS's fuel consumption is poor.

Heard from where?So far of all reviews seen-mostly positive!😉

↡ Advertisement

7 hours ago, Cheefarn said:

You need to be gungho enough to splurge your hard earn money into such unknown and Chinese brand in SG. Overall reliability and long term dependability remains a big question mark. 

Rem what happened to the Chery and Geely owners in SG back then? You buy these cars becos of budget constraints, which at $100k for this fake CX5, it is anything but budget. Sure so you rely on the AD for full after sales support, but hope you can stomach the frequent lack of ready parts and insane pricing of parts for this MG. In the end you spend a hell lot of $$ waiting and searching for parts which completely defeats your initial goal in spending less on a car. 

Of cos, you can always rely on taobao for all your parts needs. But you need to have more than just basic knowledge on this MG if you expect this route to work effectively for you.

Sure one needs to be gungho enough in 🇸🇬 to start the ball rolling but MG is not unknown in 🇨🇳 at least which is of SAIC conglomerate and they assemble more cars far more than Ford+Subaru combined if u perform a Google search online. The engine is sourced from reputable GM and don’t think reliability is that bad though.

The previous generation of Chery and Geely are of a different era as compared to their rides nowadays and this happened with the Koreans back then. 🇨🇳 rides nowadays are improving at a faster rate today than the Koreans back then. The same can be said of Chevy when they were using Daewoo inputs before the improved inputs from GM? What about those current Chevy owners whom the AD previously known as Alpine Motors and now Auto Germany get their ready parts from? In this era where parts are readily available online-I don’t think it’s a concern as I know of 1 owner of a Chevy Malibu can source for his own parts...😉.

Good advise on the basic knowledge on this MG  and coming from automotive technology background-Am sure will be more den basic.😉

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

1 hour ago, RevStarZen said:

Sure one needs to be gungho enough in 🇸🇬 to start the ball rolling but MG is not unknown in 🇨🇳 at least which is of SAIC conglomerate and they assemble more cars far more than Ford+Subaru combined if u perform a Google search online. The engine is sourced from reputable GM and don’t think reliability is that bad though.

The previous generation of Chery and Geely are of a different era as compared to their rides nowadays and this happened with the Koreans back then. 🇨🇳 rides nowadays are improving at a faster rate today than the Koreans back then. The same can be said of Chevy when they were using Daewoo inputs before the improved inputs from GM? What about those current Chevy owners whom the AD previously known as Alpine Motors and now Auto Germany get their ready parts from? In this era where parts are readily available online-I don’t think it’s a concern as I know of 1 owner of a Chevy Malibu can source for his own parts...😉.

Good advise on the basic knowledge on this MG  and coming from automotive technology background-Am sure will be more den basic.😉

I dont think SAIC has USP other than being a large manafacturer. I think the only Chinese automaker that is close to having USP is BYD.

No way will I buy a Chinese car of that size at 99k. They should start small with small cars and undercut the cheapest competition, the Mitsubishi Attrage. 

OT:

The only Chinese Cars that appeal to me are Geely, Chery and Changan, with the latter 2 having superior engine technology out of all of the Chinese.

If Chery sells Tiggo 8 at 80k, I will seriously consider it as a replacement car.

On the car in title:

Overall a good car to buy used in the future. Lowballing can be done.

• Haha! 1

5 hours ago, RevStarZen said:

Heard from where?So far of all reviews seen-mostly positive!😉

Read from Straits Times, " ..A poorer than expected fuel economy of 10.5 litres/100 km - rather far off the stated 6.8 litres/100 km - was achieved with an equal mix of city an highway driving.." 

• Haha! 1

1 hour ago, VDub_Golf said:

Read from Straits Times, " ..A poorer than expected fuel economy of 10.5 litres/100 km - rather far off the stated 6.8 litres/100 km - was achieved with an equal mix of city an highway driving.." 

You should always take their fuel consumption review with a truckload of salt. 

For a family car like mine with a puny 1.6L NA engine, they have successfully driven it so hard that it yields 6.4km per L of mileage.

My actual usage is about 12 km per litre. Only god knows what they did during the test and how accurate are the conditions across the board.

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, VDub_Golf said:

Most brands esp Conti, Fuel Economy always overstated !  6.8 becoming 10.5 is about the norm.

Some brands even cheat on emissions.

5 hours ago, Brass said:

I dont think SAIC has USP other than being a large manafacturer. I think the only Chinese automaker that is close to having USP is BYD.

No way will I buy a Chinese car of that size at 99k. They should start small with small cars and undercut the cheapest competition, the Mitsubishi Attrage. 

OT:

The only Chinese Cars that appeal to me are Geely, Chery and Changan, with the latter 2 having superior engine technology out of all of the Chinese.

If Chery sells Tiggo 8 at 80k, I will seriously consider it as a replacement car.

On the car in title:

USP=Unique Selling Point? BYD’s USP perhaps should be their EV technology?

Agree that $99K is still on the steep side for a Chinese-assembled ride-Would be more competitive if it’s priced below $90K. The MG HS was brought in most prob due to RHD markets already catered for this model and the likes of Australia, UK, Thailand getting it so might as well. Don’t think there’s any other small cars in RHD format yet to undercut the Perodua Bezza which should be the cheapest competition now instead of the Mitsubishi Attrage?

Geely’s Lynk & Co looks promising but ain’t sure if they will be producing in RHD formats though...So far-no news of Changan and Chery having current RHD models but there are from Haval though.

Agree it’s a good bargain to buy used in future for lowballing...🤣

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, VDub_Golf said:

U mean from this article?

https://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyle/motoring/crossover-value-for-money

I think it’s the first that I had seen to mention with poorer than expected fuel economy but I take that with a pinch of salt though as it can’t be concluded in just a day of hard driving road test.😉

4 minutes ago, RevStarZen said:

USP=Unique Selling Point? BYD’s USP perhaps should be their EV technology?

Agree that $99K is still on the steep side for a Chinese-assembled ride-Would be more competitive if it’s priced below $90K. The MG HS was brought in most prob due to RHD markets already catered for this model and the likes of Australia, UK, Thailand getting it so might as well. Don’t think there’s any other small cars in RHD format yet to undercut the Perodua Bezza which should be the cheapest competition now instead of the Mitsubishi Attrage?

Geely’s Lynk & Co looks promising but ain’t sure if they will be producing in RHD formats though...So far-no news of Changan and Chery having current RHD models but there are from Haval though.

Agree it’s a good bargain to buy used in future for lowballing...🤣

Yes, you are correct. The USP I meant is Unique Selling Point (proposition).

For MG, they have MG3 and MG6, the former being a small hatchback like the Jazz and the latter a liftback like the Skoda Octavia. They were sold in Thailand, UK and Australia, but sales were not that great, especially for MG6. 

The MG3 is 15k thereabouts in Australia, so it can land here at maybe 60k?

However, I am not convinced, even at that kind of price, and still feel that Geely, Changan and Chery are better. Even BYD designs dont appeal to me. 

I feel that Chery should make a comeback here. Although they flopped the domestic market, they are the largest domestic exporter of cars to ME and South America. If they would change their marketing to suit developed markets, I dont see why they wont succeed. 

In the Singapore market, I believe that Chery has slightly better goodwill than Geely given that the QQ and A168 were not complete sxxtboxes like the Geely CK was.

A rustbucket, the CK was.

(Quotz has a archive of a transacted CK of 2007 with rust all over and discoloured interior)

• Praise 1

11 minutes ago, RevStarZen said:

I think it’s the first that I had seen to mention with poorer than expected fuel economy but I take that with a pinch of salt though as it can’t be concluded in just a day of hard driving road test.😉

More of the latest MG HS review from CarBuyer here: 

https://www.carbuyer.com.sg/test-drives/mg-hs-review-singapore-price/

8 minutes ago, Brass said:

Yes, you are correct. The USP I meant is Unique Selling Point (proposition).

For MG, they have MG3 and MG6, the former being a small hatchback like the Jazz and the latter a liftback like the Skoda Octavia. They were sold in Thailand, UK and Australia, but sales were not that great, especially for MG6. 

The MG3 is 15k thereabouts in Australia, so it can land here at maybe 60k?

However, I am not convinced, even at that kind of price, and still feel that Geely, Changan and Chery are better. Even BYD designs dont appeal to me. 

I feel that Chery should make a comeback here. Although they flopped the domestic market, they are the largest domestic exporter of cars to ME and South America. If they would change their marketing to suit developed markets, I dont see why they wont succeed. 

In the Singapore market, I believe that Chery has slightly better goodwill than Geely given that the QQ and A168 were not complete sxxtboxes like the Geely CK was.

A rustbucket, the CK was.

(Quotz has a archive of a transacted CK of 2007 with rust all over and discoloured interior)

The MG 3 were not that of a volume seller at least in Thailand which I knew due to MG3 using outdated 1.5 engine with a 4 speed auto box? (Seriously in this era?) 🤔.

MG 6 couldn’t hold it’s own competing against the likes of Thai’s assembled Accord,Camry.

I do agree with u that Chery should make a comeback with their current models in RHD format or even Geely with their improved current models as well but then-🇸🇬‘s market is too small for them to consider probably unless the RHD formats are for UK, Australia and Thailand which has a bigger market.

Why do our neighbour-🇲🇾 gets Haval which no AD wanna bring it in since Haval already has a few current models in RHD already...🤔

😱-In regards to Quotz’s transacted 2007 Geely CK which these models were the unrefined baby models of the company when they were starting to produce mass market rides...🤣

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, Lycanthrope said:

wonder where they sourced for the 7sp Dual clutch gb

Seemed to be from VAG’s parts bin which I’ve read somewhere before...

It’s the dry clutch version.

7 hours ago, RevStarZen said:

Perhaps, only time will tell from real MG HS owners who can share their driving experience and fuel consumption. 

• Praise 1

14 hours ago, Brass said:

OT:

On the car in title:

The Geely... I mean Proton X70 is very good. Driven it myself in bolehland and I was impressed. And it is to my understanding that Geely will sell it here by year end. 

It will be built by Proton but it will be badged as a Geely when it arrives

But even then, the X70 build quality is still a notch down from say CX5, Rav4 or Sorento. Hard, shiny and scratch prone plastics surfaces can still be found on the center console and some part of the dash. 

• Haha! 1

12 hours ago, RevStarZen said:

More of the latest MG HS review from CarBuyer here: 

https://www.carbuyer.com.sg/test-drives/mg-hs-review-singapore-price/

Thanks for sharing. I read in the following post which indicates "mediocre economy figures" for the MG HS. Contrasting views for new MG HS owners which reads,  "Almost a third (31.8%) said their car had one or more faults within the first 12 months". 

https://www.carbuyer.co.uk/reviews/mg/hs/suv/mpg 

I am just curious whether MG HS Engineers have resolved those customer feedback and make incremental improvement? If not, it may be a quality issue and it would take a lot of courage for local 1st time buyer to jump into the wagon.

• Haha! 1

My neighbour just.got a.new.byd ev van.

Nv200 base (i think).

I gonna ask him later if flooding got danger or not🤣

• Haha! 2

Internal Moderator
31 minutes ago, Beregond said:

My neighbour just.got a.new.byd ev van.

Nv200 base (i think).

I gonna ask him later if flooding got danger or not🤣

I think the seat should be rubber instead of leather. hahhaha.

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1