MG ZS / HS and EV to be launched at Singapore Motorshow 2020?

RevStarZen

Message added by kobayashiGT

Hi Guys, this thread has been kinda long for newbies like me to read on!

Here's the continuation thread that you guys can discuss and review on the MG HS & MG ZS!

Hey BlueMG - congrats on your new found Gem. You missed out it has Auto tailgate and rear aircon vents. The front seats are also very nice and sporty. At 99k, for such a nice SUV - is very worth it de.

Hope Agent will bring back this price - I'm sure many more buyers will go place order! The only concern for Spore market is lets say after warranty runs out with Agent, we tend to go outside workshop to do servicing. The question mark is - does 3rd party Stockist bring in MG parts ..~~~

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Internal Moderator
3 hours ago, BlueMG said:

1. Water condensation on the headlamps (see photos). Spoke to the sales agent and the feedback from him is that this is a common problem with MG (many owners complained to them also). According to them, water condensation is a common issue in many car (follow the link below to read an article on this). I am not so convinced because it looks like the condensation on my BlueMG forms quite easily. What it takes is just a moderate rain for condensation to form. But the good thing I noticed is that it comes and goes quick easily. Park it under the sun and it is gone within 2 hours, or overnight parking under the shelter and it is gone the very next morning. I reckoned it is designed that way, i.e. to let the headlamp "breath" easily to allow moisture to evaporate quicker, but the drawback is condensation will form easily too. Anyway, will get the service man to check on my 1st 1000km service. It is under warranty anyway!

Bro. Nice blue MG you have! The condensation also occur to my car in the past. What I did is I will put silica pack inside the light housing to suck the moisture.

https://shopee.sg/Food-Grade-Silica-Gel-Desiccant-DuPont-Patented-Tyvek-Sachet-Absorb-Moister-Keep-Dry-100X1g-packets-per-lot-i.253989909.5334845082

If not you can buy alot of korean seaweed and keep the silica pack. haha.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Internal Moderator
16 minutes ago, AndrewLee72 said:

Hey BlueMG - congrats on your new found Gem. You missed out it has Auto tailgate and rear aircon vents. The front seats are also very nice and sporty. At 99k, for such a nice SUV - is very worth it de.

Hope Agent will bring back this price - I'm sure many more buyers will go place order! The only concern for Spore market is lets say after warranty runs out with Agent, we tend to go outside workshop to do servicing. The question mark is - does 3rd party Stockist bring in MG parts ..~~~

I think there won't be issue with MG parts. Thailand got alot of MG cars running about. So sure have exporter will buy parts in to singapore one.

• Praise 1

On 9/22/2020 at 1:14 PM, BlueMG said:

Review by BlueMG

Hi all. I am a proud owner of MG HS. Picked up my BlueMG 3 weeks ago and guess I am one of the lucky few being offered an open cat COE without any top up. 500 km in and averaging 12~13km/l (50% HW & 50% non-HW/short journeys), time for me to write a review on this vehicle.

Background

Was searching for a SUV for the past 12 months as my previous ride's COE was ending. Test drove at least 20 SUVs of various makes/models (CX30/5, Karoq/Kodiaq, 3008, E Pace, Vitara, Kicks/Qashqai, Seltos/Niro, Tucson/Sorento, Q2/Q3, XV/Forester, Aircross, Grandlands, HRV, CHR - you name it!) but none of them came close to my expectations in terms of price, premium feels, equipment level, spaciousness, etc. Was offered $96K for Nissan Kicks E Power Premium Plus during the launch, very attractive price but was in a very difficult decision point whether to go for it or not. Other than the E Power, this is a very ordinary car with cramped interior and cheap plastics throughout the cabin (like the Seltos). On the very same day when I was supposed to meet up with TCM sales agent to sign the dotted line, my wife suggested that I should google to see if we missed out any top rated SUVs in Singapore before we close the deal. So, googled "Best mid-sized SUVs Singapore 2020" and MG HS came out at #3 spot. What car is this? (me & my wife!)  Let’s go check it out before heading to TCM. Had a test drive, loved it and put in an order straight after, incredible value for money, most of the competitors are much more expensive and still don’t include half the kits. Deal closed in less than 2 hours (vs 12 months of searching!).    

What I like

1. The fit and finish of the car is awesome. It really surprises me how well they finished the cabin - soft-touch in all the right places with no squeaks, rattles or anything at all. I expected at least a bit of noise from the panoramic sunroof or the boot (based on my experience on one of my previous rides, a Toyota RAV4, many years ago)- but to me surprise not at all! Astonishing!

2. Handsome and sporty car with great premium feel to it, spacious, awesome panoramic sunroof, relatively good paint work, reasonable mileage for such a big SUV (see photo), classy and sporty finish (e.g. twin tailpipes, aluminum lower bumper), "rare species" on Singapore road.

3. Good ride and handling. Find it to be very close to Jaguar E Pace (yes, E Pace! One of my favorite SUVs before my BlueMG, but looking at the price tag, forget it!).

4. Excellence NVH (Noise, Vibration & Harshness)!  

5. Large and crystal sharp infotainment.

6. "Exclusiveness" on the road. Some comments from people on my BlueMG in the past 4 weeks :

- What car is this, sir? Very nice! Imported from UK? (when told it is an UK company with Chinese owner) - Young Grab delivery man

- Very nice car! 1st time I see this car! What car is this? How much? ($100K? US$ right? - shocked when told how much I paid for this car!) Oh! MG, I know MG, sport car! - Elderly Caltex pump attendance

- Wow! Nice car! You must be loaded. COVID time and still can afford expensive car! $99K??!! You kidding me? - Colleagues

- What car is this? - my elder sister

- You are very lucky to get this car at the promotion price! I went to test drive it last week and this is a very nice car! Price has gone up to $106K now! Will go again if the COE comes down! – A young Ceramic Coating/Grooming company owner

What I do not like

1. Water condensation on the headlamps (see photos). Spoke to the sales agent and the feedback from him is that this is a common problem with MG (many owners complained to them also). According to them, water condensation is a common issue in many car (follow the link below to read an article on this). I am not so convinced because it looks like the condensation on my BlueMG forms quite easily. What it takes is just a moderate rain for condensation to form. But the good thing I noticed is that it comes and goes quick easily. Park it under the sun and it is gone within 2 hours, or overnight parking under the shelter and it is gone the very next morning. I reckoned it is designed that way, i.e. to let the headlamp "breath" easily to allow moisture to evaporate quicker, but the drawback is condensation will form easily too. Anyway, will get the service man to check on my 1st 1000km service. It is under warranty anyway!

https://www.carlightblog.com/2018/10/23/condensation-in-your-headlights-is-nothing-to-worry-about/

2. Weak break. The “bite” is definitely not conti-like. It takes more efforts to bring the car to a complete stop.

3. Super sensitive “rain sensing auto wiper”. It just gone crazy with high speed wiping for a slighter larger drop of rain even when setting is at least sensitive level. Not sure if it is supposed to be that way (1st time dealing with rain sensing auto wiper). Will have it checked on 1st service.

4. Less accomplished DCT. At low speed, the transmission sometimes engages the clutch abruptly and makes the car surge into motion. This is the greatest weakness of HS in my opinion, but such is the characteristic of DCT and guess will just need to live with it. Test it out yourself to see if this is the car for you.

Verdicts

Honestly, this car isn’t going to win any drag races, but its performance is more than adequate for a daily commute from A to B. If you are a budget hunter (like me!) going after a premium, spacious, comfortable and "rare" SUV, this is definitely the car for you. Unknown resales value may put off some potential buyers, but who cares about resales if you intend to drive it for many years (I had my previous ride for a good 10 years!). For those who booked during the promotion period and are eagerly waiting for your COE, good luck to you in the coming COE biddings. I am kind of "lonely" on the road right now and I certainly hope to see more of you in the near future. For those who missed the $99K promotion, not to worry. Another promotion by Eurokars is in the pipeline according to my agent. For the Nissan Kicks E Power & Kia Seltos owners, no hard feelings, please. My comments above is just my personal opinions. For Jaguar E Pace owners out there, you got an excellence car (but at a premium price too!). That’s all from me. Hopefully to do another review in 6 months’ time.

20200922_120647.jpg

IMG-20200908-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20200908-WA0002.jpg

BlueMG.JPG

20200916_111900.jpg

Great review and awaiting for another test review from you in 6 months time!😉

On 9/22/2020 at 4:34 PM, kobayashiGT said:

Bro. Nice blue MG you have! The condensation also occur to my car in the past. What I did is I will put silica pack inside the light housing to suck the moisture.

https://shopee.sg/Food-Grade-Silica-Gel-Desiccant-DuPont-Patented-Tyvek-Sachet-Absorb-Moister-Keep-Dry-100X1g-packets-per-lot-i.253989909.5334845082

If not you can buy alot of korean seaweed and keep the silica pack. haha.

I don’t accept condensation nonsense. All the vios and altis parked outdoors for years till headlights yellow also no condensation problem. 
bottomline is poor sealing means poor sealing. 

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 1

Review by BlueMG

Hi all. I am a proud owner of MG HS. Picked up my BlueMG 3 weeks ago and guess I am one of the lucky few being offered an open cat COE without any top up. 500 km in and averaging 12~13km/l (50% HW & 50% non-HW/short journeys), time for me to write a review on this vehicle.

Background

Was searching for a SUV for the past 12 months as my previous ride's COE was ending. Test drove at least 20 SUVs of various makes/models (CX30/5, Karoq/Kodiaq, 3008, E Pace, Vitara, Kicks/Qashqai, Seltos/Niro, Tucson/Sorento, Q2/Q3, XV/Forester, Aircross, Grandlands, HRV, CHR - you name it!) but none of them came close to my expectations in terms of price, premium feels, equipment level, spaciousness, etc. Was offered $96K for Nissan Kicks E Power Premium Plus during the launch, very attractive price but was in a very difficult decision point whether to go for it or not. Other than the E Power, this is a very ordinary car with cramped interior and cheap plastics throughout the cabin (like the Seltos). On the very same day when I was supposed to meet up with TCM sales agent to sign the dotted line, my wife suggested that I should google to see if we missed out any top rated SUVs in Singapore before we close the deal. So, googled "Best mid-sized SUVs Singapore 2020" and MG HS came out at #3 spot. What car is this? (me & my wife!)  Let’s go check it out before heading to TCM. Had a test drive, loved it and put in an order straight after, incredible value for money, most of the competitors are much more expensive and still don’t include half the kits. Deal closed in less than 2 hours (vs 12 months of searching!).    

What I like

1. The fit and finish of the car is awesome. It really surprises me how well they finished the cabin - soft-touch in all the right places with no squeaks, rattles or anything at all. I expected at least a bit of noise from the panoramic sunroof or the boot (based on my experience on one of my previous rides, a Toyota RAV4, many years ago)- but to me surprise not at all! Astonishing!

2. Handsome and sporty car with great premium feel to it, spacious, awesome panoramic sunroof, relatively good paint work, reasonable mileage for such a big SUV (see photo), classy and sporty finish (e.g. twin tailpipes, aluminum lower bumper), "rare species" on Singapore road.

3. Good ride and handling. Find it to be very close to Jaguar E Pace (yes, E Pace! One of my favorite SUVs before my BlueMG, but looking at the price tag, forget it!).

6. "Exclusiveness" on the road. Some comments from people on my BlueMG in the past 4 weeks :

- What car is this, sir? Very nice! Imported from UK? (when told it is an UK company with Chinese owner) - Young Grab delivery man

- Very nice car! 1st time I see this car! What car is this? How much? ($100K? US$ right? - shocked when told how much I paid for this car!) Oh! MG, I know MG, sport car! - Elderly Caltex pump attendance

- Wow! Nice car! You must be loaded. COVID time and still can afford expensive car! $99K??!! You kidding me? - Colleagues

- You are very lucky to get this car at the promotion price! I went to test drive it last week and this is a very nice car! Price has gone up to $106K now! Will go again if the COE comes down! – A young Ceramic Coating/Grooming company owner

What I do not like

https://www.carlightblog.com/2018/10/23/condensation-in-your-headlights-is-nothing-to-worry-about/

2. Weak break. The “bite” is definitely not conti-like. It takes more efforts to bring the car to a complete stop.

3. Super sensitive “rain sensing auto wiper”. It just gone crazy with high speed wiping for a slighter larger drop of rain even when setting is at least sensitive level. Not sure if it is supposed to be that way (1st time dealing with rain sensing auto wiper). Will have it checked on 1st service.

4. Less accomplished DCT. At low speed, the transmission sometimes engages the clutch abruptly and makes the car surge into motion. This is the greatest weakness of HS in my opinion, but such is the characteristic of DCT and guess will just need to live with it. Test it out yourself to see if this is the car for you.

Verdicts

Honestly, this car isn’t going to win any drag races, but its performance is more than adequate for a daily commute from A to B. If you are a budget hunter (like me!) going after a premium, spacious, comfortable and "rare" SUV, this is definitely the car for you. Unknown resales value may put off some potential buyers, but who cares about resales if you intend to drive it for many years (I had my previous ride for a good 10 years!). For those who booked during the promotion period and are eagerly waiting for your COE, good luck to you in the coming COE biddings. I am kind of "lonely" on the road right now and I certainly hope to see more of you in the near future. For those who missed the $99K promotion, not to worry. Another promotion by Eurokars is in the pipeline according to my agent. For the Nissan Kicks E Power & Kia Seltos owners, no hard feelings, please. My comments above is just my personal opinions. For Jaguar E Pace owners out there, you got an excellence car (but at a premium price too!). That’s all from me. Hopefully to do another review in 6 months’ time.

20200922_120647.jpg

IMG-20200908-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20200908-WA0002.jpg

BlueMG.JPG

20200916_111900.jpg

Nice review!

and omg I have seen your blue MG in Yishun at least thrice!!! HAHAHA! Nice ride there! Yishun Safra area hahahahhahah Cheers~

Review by BlueMG

What I do not like

Grats on your new ride. It's a very nice car indeed but being told condensation is normal is complete bulls**t and is not common in many cars. Be firm on getting this fixed from them as i personally will not accept such defect. Good luck and enjoy your ride.

• Haha! 1

Thank you for the review! I'm also shortlisting this car as one of my possible upgrade to a SUV. The overall packaging definitely looks attractive compared to cars similar to its class. 

The issue of resale value is also overstated. No dealer will ever give you $10k over paper value. So I believe the best way is to get a car with the lowest possible premium (MG HS is 8% based on sgcarmart). 

I also agree on being firm with the headlights issue. Usually service centre will give you crap reasons just to escape the liability. These are things that should be rectified within warranty period. 

Neutral Newbie

Review by BlueMG

Background

What I like

What I do not like

Verdicts

Congrats on the ride man! looks good! I'll be heading down to view it soon. Any idea what promotion is in the pipeline? 

MG design and the feature really look damm attractive with the price given. Having this car is like a dream to me. So i decided to went down to take a look the car with my friend. But i got the worst experience or maybe 0 experience from this showroom. After we walk in..

1. No sales person come to explain about their car, all is talking among themselves

2. No brochure or pricelist given

3. No one bother come to create a sales relationship with us, example like ask about what car we driving and what we looking for in the new car

4. No test drive given since everyone treat us like invisible

I can only say either me and my friend got a no money face look or they really have very interesting topic to talk among themselves. No matter how nice or how good the car is, if the sales man don seize the opportunities given, is pointless. Any way i saw alot of issue in MG fb created by the current owner.     

Neutral Newbie
3 hours ago, kaposama said:

MG design and the feature really look damm attractive with the price given. Having this car is like a dream to me. So i decided to went down to take a look the car with my friend. But i got the worst experience or maybe 0 experience from this showroom. After we walk in..

1. No sales person come to explain about their car, all is talking among themselves

3. No one bother come to create a sales relationship with us, example like ask about what car we driving and what we looking for in the new car

I can only say either me and my friend got a no money face look or they really have very interesting topic to talk among themselves. No matter how nice or how good the car is, if the sales man don seize the opportunities given, is pointless. Any way i saw alot of issue in MG fb created by the current owner.     

Oh man. You should feedback to eurokars. 

But on the other side, I went down yesterday and they were really busy. Alot of customers and the salesperson was just running around attending to different people. I managed to do a test drive too. Quite impressed with the car tbh, premium interior & low road noise. Test drive performance was not bad too as compared to quite a few 1.5t I drove.

However the warranty and servicing package was really mediocre. Plus the headlight condensation issue, makes me think twice. 

On 10/11/2020 at 10:42 AM, kaposama said:

Send a mail straight to Eurokars. I has a bad experience with a SE from VW. I wrote to them and told the company, you can forget about me stepping into VW showroom anymore. I was told they took disciplinary action against the SE but they can say what they want.

The SE basically told me a waste of his time after I told him I think I'm not getting the Passat after test drive. I responded with thanks, no wonder your showroom is empty given your attitude.

On 9/22/2020 at 4:39 PM, kobayashiGT said:

I think there won't be issue with MG parts. Thailand got alot of MG cars running about. So sure have exporter will buy parts in to singapore one.

hmm?  thailand got so many MIT cars, why got MG.

On 9/28/2020 at 2:22 PM, Stratovarius said:

Grats on your new ride. It's a very nice car indeed but being told condensation is normal is complete bulls**t and is not common in many cars. Be firm on getting this fixed from them as i personally will not accept such defect. Good luck and enjoy your ride.

so new car already have condensation problem means it's a structural design problem. Doesn't really bother me if it's after a few years old or what. But nvm.

Well considering that this car is essentially a Geely with a UK badge, must have proper expectation for the quality of the car.

Main thing is engine and transmission must last, the other cosmetic parts may vary in quality.

↡ Advertisement