MCF Pianists / Piano Players Fall In!

therock

Well, just go ahead and get started.  Plenty of piano teachers around.  Most important is the interest.  I can't play for nuts but my wife plays for my church, once in a while.   I was tempted to post something she played but I might chided.

So I posted a silly recording of myself playing with one hand from a few years ago. 

Wishing everybody a very blessed and Happy New Year 2020.

https://youtu.be/siJDICYWHL4

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3
  • Haha! 1

My piano came and I began my first lesson courtesy of a friend’s teacher..

wow .. you feel so old.. fingers stiff, not obeying, pressing two keys at once and it sounded bad

at least by the time he left, I could do one line from an Elvis song - timing and all were off but at least I could recognize what I was playing 🙂

Thank you everyone for your suggestions 

I’ll report back after I try a little more ha ha

Edited by therock
  • Praise 4

Internal Moderator
On 12/26/2019 at 11:53 AM, therock said:

I’ve always been interested but as a child I couldn’t afford it 

So when the wife wanted one I happily said yes

Does anyone know a good teacher for adults?

Can anyone recommend one willing to come over to the west ?

Any tips about lessons or digital pianos in general?

I bought a Kawai kdp110 for her 🙂

Yo how's your piano lessons coming along!?

On 12/28/2019 at 9:18 AM, Mkl22 said:

Digital piano is better, TS can plug in headphones so that only himself and not family or neighbors will suffer! Hahaha

i know how bad it can be cause. For almost 15years I lived next to a piano teacher. Drove me nuts every weekend when I was home. 

You play drums when the paino session starts. 🙂

Internal Moderator

Hi all! I have a three year old Yamaha P-115. Having some issues with it ever since circuit breaker measures started. Power button faulty. Gotta turn off the power plug to switch it off. Contacted Yamaha and they told me to send it to their service center after circuit breaker. So my question is, my fingers are itching for an upgrade though there's no real need for it. I can just repair my discontinued P-115 and continue with it but here's a few things that I don't like about it. Key clanking. Keys are too light weight. No cover to protect the keys from dust. I have dust covers but troublesome. There's another lame reason to change a piano but I shall not mention it.

Looking at the Clavinova CLP-635! Should I? I'm still looking at a Yamaha because I prefer the sound of it. But any recommendations that's of a similar budget and size/tone? The CLP-635 is about 2.7k. Has to be a digital piano though, don't wanna disturb the neighbors.

• Praise 1

9 minutes ago, BabyBlade said:

Hi all! I have a three year old Yamaha P-115. Having some issues with it ever since circuit breaker measures started. Power button faulty. Gotta turn off the power plug to switch it off. Contacted Yamaha and they told me to send it to their service center after circuit breaker. So my question is, my fingers are itching for an upgrade though there's no real need for it. I can just repair my discontinued P-115 and continue with it but here's a few things that I don't like about it. Key clanking. Keys are too light weight. No cover to protect the keys from dust. I have dust covers but troublesome. There's another lame reason to change a piano but I shall not mention it.

Looking at the Clavinova CLP-635! Should I? I'm still looking at a Yamaha because I prefer the sound of it. But any recommendations that's of a similar budget and size/tone? The CLP-635 is about 2.7k. Has to be a digital piano though, don't wanna disturb the neighbors.

I think you wont be happy until you get a standard upright piano. Do you play often at night? Anyway got pedal to soften your playing. Which is the middle pedal. The pedal actually lowers a cloth between the hammers and the strings. Yamaha models can lock the middle pedal in position so that you dont have to depress it all the time. Imo dont waste time with digital piano. The circuit board deteriorates and oxidation sets in over time. The sound will sound weird and robotic. Same with sound bars and bluetooth speakers.

You can buy the exam model which is quite compact compared to the Yamaha's upright models.

• Praise 4

Internal Moderator
8 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

I think you wont be happy until you get a standard upright piano. Do you play often at night? Anyway got pedal to soften your playing. Which is the middle pedal. The pedal actually lowers a cloth between the hammers and the strings. Yamaha models can lock the middle pedal in position so that you dont have to depress it all the time. Imo dont waste time with digital piano. The circuit board deteriorates and oxidation sets in over time. The sound will sound weird and robotic. Same with sound bars and bluetooth speakers.

You can buy the exam model which is quite compact compared to the Yamaha's upright models.

Another reason for wanting a digital piano is the hassle of tuning for acoustic. I'd rather not. My playing time usually night so it's 9pm/11pm/12am/2am or when I have insomnia. Honestly so far still ok with the digital ones. My neighbor has an upright and only practice in the day/evening. I'm a night owl. Hahaha.

Upright, maybe in the future when I'm more serious about it and wanna spend that much more.  [flowerface]

• Praise 1

For the upright pianos, there are those with silent features. Just plug in your headphone and you can play anytime. 

The digital pianos are compromises when it comes to touch and feel.

Pros and cons.

Internal Moderator
16 minutes ago, Alfc said:

For the upright pianos, there are those with silent features. Just plug in your headphone and you can play anytime. 

The digital pianos are compromises when it comes to touch and feel.

Pros and cons.

Yes understand the pros and cons. But unfortunately not looking for upright piano this time round. 

Hypersonic
6 hours ago, BabyBlade said:

Haha dunno nuts about digital piano. But u have to wait until these showrooms are open bah. Need to test drive. 

Enjoy your playing! 

• Praise 1

Hypersonic
2 hours ago, Giordanogavin said:

Any GOT fans?

Sharing my playing on public piano before CB.

Not familiar with the song. But well done. 

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
8 hours ago, BabyBlade said:

My musician friend advised me to go for casio privia series, Yamaha weighted action series, or korg.

• Praise 2

(edited)
8 hours ago, Watwheels said:

No you won't be happy until you get a grand piano. The control is totally different. Trust me!

Edited by firefly20
  • Haha! 1

Anyway my teenage son has been learning the piano since 4. One thing I think the piano did for him was to train him to be extremely patient, and cultivate in him with the ability to hunker down and study bcoz he's used to focusing in front of the piano since young.

Definitely a good hobby to have for the young ones with many intangible benefits.

• Praise 1

Internal Moderator
12 hours ago, Lala81 said:

Haha dunno nuts about digital piano. But u have to wait until these showrooms are open bah. Need to test drive. 

Enjoy your playing! 

I think I've watched enough YouTube videos to be able to purchase without test drive! 😆 Hahaha. But asked a few shops and white is sold out for now. Some places pre-order, some places dare not accept pre-order due to the situation now. Shipment delays I think. Perhaps best to continue with my current for now! Save money! 

Hypersonic
(edited)
10 hours ago, firefly20 said:

Anyway my teenage son has been learning the piano since 4. One thing I think the piano did for him was to train him to be extremely patient, and cultivate in him with the ability to hunker down and study bcoz he's used to focusing in front of the piano since young.

Definitely a good hobby to have for the young ones with many intangible benefits.

It's a skill that allows you to apply it to other skills.

It's a very incremental skill to learn a piece.
One hand (left and right separately) -> 2 hands (sounds super disjointed and messed up) -> getting smoother -> Getting proficient and able to get the tempo and finer things right etc.

And when u learn another piece, u start all over again (especially at the beginning stage). And it's something u can hear and get feedback all the time. It's something that a child can understand instinctively whether they are improving. As opposed to art, sports, sometimes you may not see the "re-learning" process as quite as obvious.

It's not that a kid who's doing dance/art/sports cannot see themselves improving. But they don't know why they are improving. Whereas at the beginner or intermediate stage for music (violin/piano etc), when you learn a new piece every few months , you are literally restarting from scratch. Whereas the other fields, you become more and more integrated in terms of your body and your skill. 

Edited by Lala81
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4