MCF Pianists / Piano Players Fall In!

therock

8 minutes ago, BabyBlade said:

I feel more inspired by watching progress videos of beginner pianists, as compared to watching the professionals play. Haha.

Watching amateur and beginner pianist inspired me too. Can feel their authenticity and play with their hearts 😊. sometime imperfections is a beauty itself as we are just human.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Turbocharged
On 5/30/2021 at 11:21 PM, BabyBlade said:

Disclaimer: I'm a self taught beginner. Only started putting in some effort to learn how to play last Circuit Breaker. Please forgive me on the bad posture, lack of dynamics, the non musicality and the wrong notes! 

Took me a lot of courage to finally decide I'll embarrass myself here with my amateur playing. 

Wow, you must have some basic training before otherwise you are just with built in music talent. I recently also thinking of picking up piano for retirement. When I can't go outdoor, instead of chatting in MCF, at least I have another option.  Haha

Just enrolled in the Nation Silver Academy for the basic. Always full booked or classes only conduct on weekdays. How to play close to what you have achieve some day. There are many YouTube but no easy to follow. 

• Praise 1

Internal Moderator
2 hours ago, Victor68 said:

Wow, you must have some basic training before otherwise you are just with built in music talent. I recently also thinking of picking up piano for retirement. When I can't go outdoor, instead of chatting in MCF, at least I have another option.  Haha

Just enrolled in the Nation Silver Academy for the basic. Always full booked or classes only conduct on weekdays. How to play close to what you have achieve some day. There are many YouTube but no easy to follow. 

I don't have any basic training but I was in a symphonic band during my secondary school days so I guess having some knowledge in music theory helps in picking up the piano basic just a little easier. Knowing how to read music score is a bonus because you get to play music pieces right off the bat. I started off with "easy piano" ones. You can also purchase adult piano books like the one Faber one below. I have the exact same copy but I don't use it. It's highly recommended by many adult beginner learners though. Another one you can consider is the Alfred Series. Can go readup about it.

As for Youtube, I use Youtube to listen to piano pieces but not for tutorials because I find it difficult to follow but that's just me. Totally recommend you to get a piano teacher. 

@Giordanogavin is self taught too but he's at a way higher level. Hope to be able to learn how to play by ear someday too!

FF1302cover.thumb.jpg.5d53880f600ef54d98c677511dd79601.jpg

271f2a832c0083d090966d03576783e4.jpg.24acb211fbf27d4cda55c52f9ac2cce3.jpg

Internal Moderator
44 minutes ago, Victor68 said:

That is definitely an advantage. Can play something like that very happy liao

https://pangfunjstudio.com/the-moon-represents-my-heart-teresa-teng/

This is actually a good piece for us beginners. I played a similar one when I was starting out. It's also in C Major so no black keys. And the chords just repeat itself. I'm sure you'll be able to play it! First what you need to do is to go shop for a digital piano/acoustic. Can start with learning the basic music theory part first. How to read notes. Don't even need to go for lessons. Hopefully we can expand our MCF Pianists to more members soon. 😆

• Praise 1

Internal Moderator
2 hours ago, Giordanogavin said:

Nice song in melodic minor key!

Sounds familiar what is the title of the song?

• Praise 2

4 hours ago, BabyBlade said:

Hope to be able to learn how to play by ear someday too!

Play by ear actually have a trick on it and can be master with practices plus if know how music works. Although sometimes intuition is quite important.

Turbocharged
8 hours ago, BabyBlade said:

This is actually a good piece for us beginners. I played a similar one when I was starting out. It's also in C Major so no black keys. And the chords just repeat itself. I'm sure you'll be able to play it! First what you need to do is to go shop for a digital piano/acoustic. Can start with learning the basic music theory part first. How to read notes. Don't even need to go for lessons. Hopefully we can expand our MCF Pianists to more members soon. 😆

Yes, have started but it is a slow process. No hurry, old man would have plenty of time to spare. More importantly,  must enjoy what I am doing. 

20210622_203145.jpg

Turbocharged
On 12/26/2019 at 2:12 PM, Lala81 said:

No recommendations. Lots of piano teachers out there. There are some forums u can find them on. Some websites also link to teachers.

Use flashcards to train sight reading. 

It's just putting in the hard work at least several days a week to practice...

Came across any good flashcard software, apps or games to train sight reading?

(edited)
12 minutes ago, Albeniz said:

Came across any good flashcard software, apps or games to train sight reading?

hmm unfortunately no experience here.
My girl is a natural sight reader and her sight reading level was always more advanced from very early days.
My son who's completed grade 1 (performance) doesn't seem to have problems also so never explored. 

Why don't u  download 
https://www.ankiapp.com/

It's a digital flashcard app with public content. U maybe able to search the database and find something u need.

Screenshot_20210626-090302_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 1

Hypersonic
On 6/27/2021 at 6:39 PM, Giordanogavin said:

My impromptu play by ear of chinese pop song.

This song very popular in Taiwan.

here also. UFM top 1000 songs no.1 

One of the songwriter is a singaporean lawyer. Think they won the golden horse award.

• Praise 2

14 hours ago, Lala81 said:

here also. UFM top 1000 songs no.1 

One of the songwriter is a singaporean lawyer. Think they won the golden horse award.

Heard abt it too. Singapore have lots of hidden talents!

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1