MCF Pianists / Piano Players Fall In!

therock

I’ve always been interested but as a child I couldn’t afford it 

So when the wife wanted one I happily said yes

Does anyone know a good teacher for adults?

Can anyone recommend one willing to come over to the west ?

Any tips about lessons or digital pianos in general?

I bought a Kawai kdp110 for her 🙂

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

40 minutes ago, therock said:

cheapskate spotted

now therock got free live music

• Praise 1

No recommendations. Lots of piano teachers out there. There are some forums u can find them on. Some websites also link to teachers.

Use flashcards to train sight reading. 

It's just putting in the hard work at least several days a week to practice...

• Praise 1

Saw your title, thought you are selling your used piano. 

Now not sure to get one or not. 

My new place supposedly was, design with a space to accommodate a standing piano. 

Then my kid told me not to put piano, cancel the piano class and put Christmas tree instead. 😂

• Haha! 4

33 minutes ago, Atonchia said:

Saw your title, thought you are selling your used piano. 

Now not sure to get one or not. 

My new place supposedly was, design with a space to accommodate a standing piano. 

Then my kid told me not to put piano, cancel the piano class and put Christmas tree instead. 😂

Lol how old is your kid. 

I can't recommend u my daughter's piano teacher. Everytime come wear very skimpy, show half ball, wear miniskirt.

It made me very upset that the wife wouldn't let me take up lessons too.

She must be good btw as my kid gets high scores for the grade exams.

• Haha! 4

6 hours ago, therock said:

Recommendation for Piano Teacher? What about this site? Piano lessons Singapore  - Piano Teacher and Student matching service. I engaged a piano teacher through the site. Service is free. You can put down your requirements. They get back to you a few suitable teachers. No obligations to engage one. 

Edited by AgentG
  • Praise 1

Internal Moderator
21 hours ago, therock said:

West:

https://www.facebook.com/stephanieleepiano/

17 hours ago, Karoon said:

I can't recommend u my daughter's piano teacher. Everytime come wear very skimpy, show half ball, wear miniskirt.

It made me very upset that the wife wouldn't let me take up lessons too.

She must be good btw as my kid gets high scores for the grade exams.

I have a sudden urge to pick up piakno...I have potential to score high with a home run too. 

• Haha! 2

What I suggest is to ask yourself what goals you want to achieve when you say you want to learn to play the piano.

It will be easier when...let's say the teacher asks you what do you want to learn. Eg. classical or popular music etc. What short term goals you want to set for yourself? So that the teacher has something to work on. Or just be able to read and play music which in this case will be a long term commitment.

I think it's tougher when you learn to play the piano as an adult. As it involves your left and right brain functions, eg. your motor skills... hands, legs, eyes coordination are from your left brain function. Translation or processing skills to read music and put it into playing is mostly right brain function. The kid's brain is developing compared to an adult where our brains are developed. Our learning skill becomes more challenging. LoL...

Cos learning piano there are a number of varying playing methods or "adaptations". It's not say very difficult but your hands and mind need to adapt. And maybe that's why you need to spend time to practice. I didn't take notice when I learned as a kid but when it's my kid's turn to learn then I took notice.

As for recommendation I think I posted in the forum before. The music school my kids go to does not teach the usual way most music school or teachers do. It's easy(imo, cos I think I learned the tough way) for both kids and adults to pick up.

It's good to use the digital piano that has all the 88 keys. The diff between an upright piano and a digital one is about sound quality. Pros and cons will be space constraints, control over volume, budget, etc.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 1

On 12/26/2019 at 11:53 AM, therock said:

My kid has a classmate taking online lesson using live video conferencing with teacher in China. 

So stopped piano lesson at Yamaha and now learn live online. 

19 minutes ago, Atonchia said:

My kid has a classmate taking online lesson using live video conferencing with teacher in China. 

More important is that the teacher can engage the child and keep their interest up. I honestly can't see how a video call will work for a younger child. 

For an adult, yeah no issue 

I don't really recommend Yamaha beyond the first 6 months. Other than maybe introduction to music and the songs which are quite catchy. 

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 1

3 hours ago, Atonchia said:

This is interesting... what's the link (for other instruments too?)?

Soon you may have to pay GST for the fees!

• Haha! 1

31 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

This is interesting... what's the link (for other instruments too?)?

Soon you may have to pay GST for the fees!

This is difficult to track. 

Teacher can say it's sharing without monetary consideration. 😅

3 hours ago, Lala81 said:

More important is that the teacher can engage the child and keep their interest up. I honestly can't see how a video call will work for a younger child. 

For an adult, yeah no issue 

I don't really recommend Yamaha beyond the first 6 months. Other than maybe introduction to music and the songs which are quite catchy. 

Maybe will enrol Aureus or Cristofori or home lesson. 

Guess the teacher interaction is most important. My wife said Yamaha previous teacher is able to motivate those kids and they really enjoy the lesson. 

Current phase very different. Don't want to be seen as ageism. But younger teacher seems more energetic. Older one is experience but boring and quite impatience. 

22 hours ago, Watwheels said:

What I suggest is to ask yourself what goals you want to achieve when you say you want to learn to play the piano.

It will be easier when...let's say the teacher asks you what do you want to learn. Eg. classical or popular music etc. What short term goals you want to set for yourself? So that the teacher has something to work on. Or just be able to read and play music which in this case will be a long term commitment.

I think it's tougher when you learn to play the piano as an adult. As it involves your left and right brain functions, eg. your motor skills... hands, legs, eyes coordination are from your left brain function. Translation or processing skills to read music and put it into playing is mostly right brain function. The kid's brain is developing compared to an adult where our brains are developed. Our learning skill becomes more challenging. LoL...

Cos learning piano there are a number of varying playing methods or "adaptations". It's not say very difficult but your hands and mind need to adapt. And maybe that's why you need to spend time to practice. I didn't take notice when I learned as a kid but when it's my kid's turn to learn then I took notice.

As for recommendation I think I posted in the forum before. The music school my kids go to does not teach the usual way most music school or teachers do. It's easy(imo, cos I think I learned the tough way) for both kids and adults to pick up.

It's good to use the digital piano that has all the 88 keys. The diff between an upright piano and a digital one is about sound quality. Pros and cons will be space constraints, control over volume, budget, etc.

Digital piano is better, TS can plug in headphones so that only himself and not family or neighbors will suffer! Hahaha

i know how bad it can be cause. For almost 15years I lived next to a piano teacher. Drove me nuts every weekend when I was home. 

Edited by Mkl22
↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 4