MCF Pianists / Piano Players Fall In!

therock

8 minutes ago, Jusnel said:

Electrone is like an Organ?

Yah. The kind that creates irritating sound... 🥴

But I enjoyed watching the yamaha Asia Pac competition. That grand grade yamaha master played really really well. 👍 

↡ Advertisement

1 minute ago, mersaylee said:

Yah. The kind that creates irritating sound... 🥴

But I enjoyed watching the yamaha Asia Pac competition. That grand grade yamaha master played really really well. 👍 

Tell your son to use headphones when playing. LOL

• Haha! 1

11 minutes ago, Jusnel said:

Tell your son to use headphones when playing. LOL

Then we won't know whether he's playing what he should. He loves Japanese anime theme songs...like those play at Daiso...darn irritating 😵

Internal Moderator

Regret not listening to everyone here to go for an acoustic piano. I really love my Kawai CN-39 but at the same time I'm tempted to upgrade to an acoustic.

A few concerns though.

- Don't think I'll buy first hand, too expensive

- Looking at secondhand Kawai K3 either pure acoustic or the K3 Aures (Silent)

Any used piano shops to recommend and anything to look out for? Also just wondering if I get the K3 without the silent function, will it help to dampen the sound and vibration if I put a carpet under the piano, close windows and door if I play past 10pm at night? I usually play anytime from 10pm to 2am. 

3 minutes ago, BabyBlade said:

Regret not listening to everyone here to go for an acoustic piano. I really love my Kawai CN-39 but at the same time I'm tempted to upgrade to an acoustic.

A few concerns though.

Any used piano shops to recommend and anything to look out for? Also just wondering if I get the K3 without the silent function, will it help to dampen the sound and vibration if I put a carpet under the piano, close windows and door if I play past 10pm at night? I usually play anytime from 10pm to 2am. 

cannot play after 10pm hor.

夜半琴声? dun scare people [laugh]

• Sad 1
  • Haha! 3

Internal Moderator
36 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

Cheaper to buy bak kwa and ear plugs for neighbours during LNY...😁

43 minutes ago, Jman888 said:

cannot play after 10pm hor.

夜半琴声? dun scare people [laugh]

Wahlau all the nonsense hahaha. I don't know if I'll regret changing to an acoustic. I love the Kawai digital so far.

I've tried many tuners...all said not so nice things about yamaha and kawai...except some conceded that kawai is improving...like ZhuJiang...

Good luck in your search...while I continue my search for a reliable repair shop for my beaten Bohemian...

1 hour ago, BabyBlade said:

A few concerns though.

Any used piano shops to recommend and anything to look out for? Also just wondering if I get the K3 without the silent function, will it help to dampen the sound and vibration if I put a carpet under the piano, close windows and door if I play past 10pm at night? I usually play anytime from 10pm to 2am

You serious playing anytime from 10pm to 2am?!!! [sweatdrop] You insomina between 12am to 2am ah?! Even you close windows also cannot play at such wee hours la, your neighbour surely can hear one.

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, BabyBlade said:

A few concerns though.

The middle pedal dampens the sound when locked. Try out to see if that is sufficient. 

2 hours ago, BabyBlade said:

A few concerns though.

Most music schools will have sale of used piano. My children's music school is Opus One (6473 7383), can call up and ask for Mr Chua(principal), or tell the lady on the phone you are looking for a used unit. I never bought from them cos long time ago I bought brand new from Yamaha. This brand because of quality. The strings doesnt loosen easily and go out of tune. Exam models(means the design, not really for exam) will be cheaper. They are a bit smaller and compact.

What to look out for are the insides. Make sure the strings are not rusted, interior wood condition, keyboard or key condition, hammers condition, springs condition for the pedals(make sure the linkages are in ok conditions), make sure the heater strip is working. They bao kah liao. Move for you, tune it after moving(it is a must to tune after moving).

To me silent function is a must if you stay in a flat(hdb or condo) and especially if you are putting it in your room. For an upright piano the sound mostly come from the back and bottom front of it rather than below. If you close all the windows and door and on aircon (I buy those online door bottom seals, foam type, very cheap, just slide, no installation needed). It's very soft and wont disturb your neighbours. Actually making your room air tight is more effective and cheap. Find all those cheap window seals and door seals, they are good enough.

• Praise 1

Supercharged

Thinking to let my 5 year old kid try some piano lessons.  Is this a good age to start?  Considering lessons at a nearby Christofori.  Is that a good?

1 hour ago, Tkseah said:

Thinking to let my 5 year old kid try some piano lessons.  Is this a good age to start?  Considering lessons at a nearby Christofori.  Is that a good?

yamaha JMC, parent hv to sit in till you mastered like a secondary home instructor

• Praise 1

Hi babyblade,

I just order a Yamaha UL series from a local seller, Asia Piano. A used one from japan. Used to have a new Indo made one. Less than 7K but have the best of both worlds in sound quality and space constraint (placed in his study room of less than 400 sq Ft, a baby grand is too huge for it). It was 26 years old but being UL has the back line up of a grand piano. 

you can private message me if you need more infor. 

Edited by Krieger
Wrong infor
  • Praise 1

Go for private teacher if possible. You can search online and try some of the more popular ones. they cost less and more effective in the long run. 

• Praise 1

23 hours ago, Tkseah said:

Try for six months. See if got interest. But also need to sit down with your kid once or twice a week at least to practice together. 

The formal curriculum of ABRSM etc is not for everybody. It requires near daily practice for minimum 20-30 mins. 

• Praise 2

On 3/15/2021 at 9:36 AM, BabyBlade said:

A few concerns though.

Your playing time is definitely need silent piano... Or else you will get mata coming to knock on your door. 

They can stick acoustic foam to the back of the piano, not visible when against the wall to reduce the noise generated. But it's not going to be enough. 

Edited by Lala81
↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1