MCF Pianists / Piano Players Fall In!

therock

14 minutes ago, firefly20 said:

A Bohemian upright? That’s rare locally. Even rarer than Petrof I think. 

Whether worth it or not depends on how often it’ll be played. IMHO if played regularly and you love the warm European sound, then it’s worth it.

Soundboard still okay? No cracks or warping?

Yes, it's a Bohemian.

Soundboard, strings and heater element are still fine. 

Most of the hammer felts are very worn...definitely need to repair. 

Plus, yellowish key surface and some of the worn key washers needed address to level the keys but not going to do those two since I'm confident enough with some ghetto diy...😁

Not sure what's regulation or action though. My son who is the only player now after my daughter quit...is very particular to the sound and action (or reaction) feel...a few tuners have had mentioned that his fingerings are too fast for the stage of the piano it is in...😂 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

46 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

my friend did that for a MIK piano. think 1.8k-2k

My sis one was few hundred dollars, just tune and change some strings. 

Can PM the shop names? 

26 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

One of my top favourites. Asked my kid to learn to play eventually, but not good enough to play it yet! Hope one day she can. 

This other pianist played till big drops and small drops of perspiration! 

The violin version is also very nice. 

Mabbe performance hall air con spoil. 😁

• Haha! 1

2 hours ago, Giordanogavin said:

The piano will become 'white elephant' as nobody playing it. It becomes part of the home furniture. Got more 'atas' and cultured feel with piano at home 😁

20210321_134816.jpg

• Praise 1

26 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

Yes, it's a Bohemian.

Plus, yellowish key surface and some of the worn key washers needed address to level the keys but not going to do those two since I'm confident enough with some ghetto diy...😁

Not sure what's regulation or action though. My son who is the only player now after my daughter quit...is very particular to the sound and action (or reaction) feel...a few tuners have had mentioned that his fingerings are too fast for the stage of the piano it is in...😂 

In an upright, when a key is pressed, the hammer will hit the string which are connected to the soundboard by blocks of wood to amplify the sound, after which the key will return to its original position with the help of a spring. The action of the piano is responsible for this whole movement. 

Sometimes the keys will be slightly misaligned after repeated use, resulting in stuck keys due to friction. Regulation is to align the keys to its original positions in the keyboard. I tot regulation should also ensure that the keys are adjusted to level height with other keys. Anyway my friend who is a piano teacher told me regulation only needs to be performed once every few years even for heavily used pianos. 

One of the big differences between the action of an upright and a grand is that the keys of a grand can return to its original positions faster as it’s aided by gravity, as opposed to an upright that is usually aided by springs. So theoretically, one can repeatedly play the same keys in a grand much faster than an upright as the keys are returned faster to their original positions. That said, for a hobbyist, very, very few pieces require the speed of a grand. 

Edited by firefly20
  • Praise 2

33 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

Yes, it's a Bohemian.

To add on, it’s much easier to control the keys in a grand as gravity is more consistent than strings. I think your son will love to practise on a grand since he’s particular about action.

Very dangerous ... lol

• Haha! 1

1 hour ago, mersaylee said:

Can PM the shop names? 

my friend doesn't know. someone did it as a gift to him.

My sister one is just the piano tuner helped that's all. nothing special bah.

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, firefly20 said:

In an upright, when a key is pressed, the hammer will hit the string which are connected to the soundboard by blocks of wood to amplify the sound, after which the key will return to its original position with the help of a spring. The action of the piano is responsible for this whole movement. 

Sometimes the keys will be slightly misaligned after repeated use, resulting in stuck keys due to friction. Regulation is to align the keys to its original positions in the keyboard. I tot regulation should also ensure that the keys are adjusted to level height with other keys. Anyway my friend who is a piano teacher told me regulation only needs to be performed once every few years even for heavily used pianos. 

One of the big differences between the action of an upright and a grand is that the keys of a grand can return to its original positions faster as it’s aided by gravity, as opposed to an upright that is usually aided by springs. So theoretically, one can repeatedly play the same keys in a grand much faster than an upright as the keys are returned faster to their original positions. That said, for a hobbyist, very, very few pieces require the speed of a grand. 

Thanks for the detailed reply...I tink there must be a miscom...my better half going to double check what entail in that posted 2nd quotation after some intended cut down from the first one of 8k for a major overhaul 😅

1 hour ago, firefly20 said:

To add on, it’s much easier to control the keys in a grand as gravity is more consistent than strings. I think your son will love to practise on a grand since he’s particular about action.

Very dangerous ... lol

He plays anime pieces more than anything else...even baby grand is an overkill...i tink get him an electone is better...can potentially compose for manga...😁

• Haha! 1

On 3/19/2021 at 5:02 PM, BabyBlade said:

Here's a short clip of my amateur playing at the piano shop. Please don't mind the lousy playing and the out of tune piano. I didn't flip the camera around so it wrongly filmed nothing. Also quite daunting to be playing in an empty studio with piano professionals around. 😂

I think you deserve a better piano with your standard. Go get a baby grand!

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

My kids have ended their piano adventure.

Got to grade 3 and after that it's all tears. Too hard, don't want to continue, hate teacher, hate practise, hate exams etc etc. Well, at least they learnt a new language (musical notes).  Sigh.... Rest assured no musical scores will come from this household.

Only left me now undust the piano once a month to make sure it still sounds ok and one finger play mary had a little lamb.

• Haha! 5

Internal Moderator
On 3/20/2021 at 12:38 PM, Giordanogavin said:

Honestly i think is a value for money and good buy at this price. If you buy a brand new Kawai acoustic piano it easily cost close to $10k. And as said the piano sound are rich and beautiful with powerful bass.

From Asia piano right? Shall drop by there again someday to try out their piano and hopefully will meet the lady master to exchange tips, pointer and learn on improvisations. 😀

Previously when i drop by Asia piano there is no demonstrator. Only piano tuner. There were a family with young kids who come in to try those piano. As i was playing and test on some piano they asked me to be the piano demonstrator instead. In the end they really choose the one i recommended.

This is from Piano Master. The lady's name is Cissy. Initially I didn't dare to try so I asked her to play some pieces for me and she gladly did. Lovely lady.

• Praise 1

Internal Moderator
On 3/20/2021 at 1:01 PM, Lala81 said:

She's skipping grade 3, doing Grade 4 exam in August.

Ok lah, she can't do it particularly smoothly but she only did it for a month. 

Wonderful. I am grade zero sadly. :TT_TT:

Internal Moderator
2 hours ago, Krieger said:

I think you deserve a better piano with your standard. Go get a baby grand!

I am a grade zero! I think my K25 will be just nice for me for the next few years.

Internal Moderator
On 3/20/2021 at 1:02 PM, Lala81 said:

quite ok lah. i paid roughly the same for a 30 year old one in 2017. Lol maybe i look more carrot.

Maybe yours is the higher end one. What model ah?

18 hours ago, Datsun366 said:

20210321_134816.jpg

I played and 'busking' on this piano regularly before CB. Sadly most of the public piano around the island are not available for playing due to COVID.

There should be initiative to set up more public piano in MRT station, office building, shopping mall etc. Just like in Tokyo, Glasgow and Europe city. It will create more relaxing and artistic environment.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2