MCF Pianists / Piano Players Fall In!

therock

On 5/26/2020 at 2:03 PM, BabyBlade said:

Yo how's your piano lessons coming along!?

Sorry ... the last I touched it was about 2-3 months ago..

Maybe it's age but I can't pick it up as well and this is not encouraging.. plus the lack of time makes progress slow. My wife enjoys it and I am told the Kawaii is the recommended model.

Maybe you can look into this model for yourself. There was an offer last Christmas for it. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

7 hours ago, therock said:

Sorry ... the last I touched it was about 2-3 months ago..

Maybe it's age but I can't pick it up as well and this is not encouraging.. plus the lack of time makes progress slow. My wife enjoys it and I am told the Kawaii is the recommended model.

Maybe you can look into this model for yourself. There was an offer last Christmas for it. 

I'm also an adult learner. Had official lessons for 2 yrs last time but now picking it up on my own. Most days are just difficult with the mad rush of office work drowning me. So I usually only touch the piano once or twice a week.

The music that my son creates is so different from mine - his is fast and furious and yet melodious, mine is like slow motion x 2 (coz I'm trying to find the right keys to press). 🤣

• Haha! 2

Oh yah Kawai is good. They make carbon-fibre action parts which are supposed to last longer than wood. I've a small Kawai grand at home which sounds beautiful when my son plays.

• Praise 1

On 5/27/2020 at 11:15 AM, Giordanogavin said:

Any japanese anime fans? Always with me from spirited away. A song which brings back memory.

I added in my own improvisations in between. Hope your like it!

Sounds familiar. Heard my kid playing this. 

8 hours ago, Giordanogavin said:

Canon in D.

Play by ear and my arrangement.

@BabyBlade another piece with nice and calm melody.

Nice but I prefer the earlier one as that was more lively.

So when are you going to play at the Steinway practice piano?

12 hours ago, Sigcomms said:

Anyone ever considered  using silent piano?

I think this will be perfect if one has very fussy neighbours. Yamaha is a leader in this area with the Disklavier, TransAcoustic and Silent Piano ranges. But these pianos charge a premium over their corresponding pure acoustic cousins.

Anyway unless one wishes to play before 7am or after 10:30 pm, silent pianos are not really required. If you wish to be even more considerate, then I would assume anytime after 8am or before10pm would be acceptable.

Some tips about not disturbing your neighbours when playing the piano below.

https://www.thepiano.sg/piano/read/how-play-piano-late-night-without-disturbing-your-neighbours

• Praise 1

Hypersonic
12 minutes ago, firefly20 said:

I think this will be perfect if one has very fussy neighbours. Yamaha is a leader in this area with the Disklavier, TransAcoustic and Silent Piano ranges. But these pianos charge a premium over their corresponding pure acoustic cousins.

Anyway unless one wishes to play before 7am or after 10:30 pm, silent pianos are not really required. If you wish to be even more considerate, then I would assume anytime after 8am or before10pm would be acceptable.

Some tips about not disturbing your neighbours when playing the piano below.

https://www.thepiano.sg/piano/read/how-play-piano-late-night-without-disturbing-your-neighbours

My family only max up to 8pm only. Actually hardly ever play in evening. Have to be considerate to our neighbours. Night time practice definitely digital.

9 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

My family only max up to 8pm only. Actually hardly ever play in evening. Have to be considerate to our neighbours. Night time practice definitely digital.

Whoa, that's early. Before CB, by the time my son returns from school it's usually evening time. 

Sometimes he ki siao will play the grand (with lid fully open) until 11:30pm. Even though we would close all the windows but they are not double-glazed so would not totally block out the sound.

I always brace myself to expect knocks on my front door when this happens but thankfully it never comes.

So we can't be neighbours. 😂

Hypersonic
(edited)
17 minutes ago, firefly20 said:

Whoa, that's early. Before CB, by the time my son returns from school it's usually evening time. 

Sometimes he ki siao will play the grand (with lid fully open) until 11:30pm. Even though we would close all the windows but they are not double-glazed so would not totally block out the sound.

I always brace myself to expect knocks on my front door when this happens but thankfully it never comes.

So we can't be neighbours. 😂

Honestly, that's not very considerate given the volume the piano can create.

If i know which unit it is, i definitely will come knocking. If not, i will call the police. And i consider myself quite a chin chai neighbour. 

Unless u are a siao lang or those 70-80 year old that like to play oldie songs on speaker at like 11pm at night. Then I won't bother cos waste of saliva. 

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 2

6 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Honestly, that's not very considerate given the volume the piano can create.

If i know which unit it is, i definitely will come knocking. If not, i will call the police. And i consider myself quite a chin chai neighbour. 

Unless u are a siao lang or those 70-80 year old that like to play oldie songs on speaker at like 11pm at night. Then I won't bother cos waste of saliva. 

Yah, agree it's not considerate. Best is still to end before 10pm.

I actually have a quieter upright in one of the rooms but my son never touched it anymore once big brother grand came on board.

Hypersonic

Maybe cos
i) my kids are still at a young age, so sometimes they play rubbish stuff
ii) my piano is against the wall i share with my neighbour's living room
iii) And once every few months,  my other floor neighbour has religious rites music which last for hours.
iv) The stupid asian Koel nested in the trees outside my room wakes me up every morning at 5+am due to its call. 

I take noise pollution after 10pm very seriously. And frankly u should be able to afford acoustic dampening a room if u are able to afford a big home theater/hifi system/piano.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Hypersonic
(edited)
3 minutes ago, firefly20 said:

Yah, agree it's not considerate. Best is still to end before 10pm.

I actually have a quieter upright in one of the rooms but my son never touched it anymore once big brother grand came on board.

Maybe your son not at the age to create "noise" anymore. Haha that's why no one complains. My children do it all the time especially when they are angry at each other. Just play nonsense scales or my son will hammer the keys.

Edited by Lala81
  • Haha! 1

1 minute ago, Lala81 said:

Maybe your son not at the age to create "noise" anymore. Haha that's why no one complains.

Yah he creates nice music when in the mood (he's been playing for more than 10 yrs after all).

But my piano is loud, sometimes I can even feel the air vibrating when he's playing so you're right that I've to watch out for the disturbance. Sometimes when he's in the zone he can play for hrs, and I've no heart to ask him to stop. So far only reminded him to keep to the softer pieces when it's late in the night. For those fast, furious and slamming kind of Anime pieces, he should play them earlier in the evenings.

• Praise 1

Hypersonic
25 minutes ago, firefly20 said:

Yah he creates nice music when in the mood (he's been playing for more than 10 yrs after all).

But my piano is loud, sometimes I can even feel the air vibrating when he's playing so you're right that I've to watch out for the disturbance. Sometimes when he's in the zone he can play for hrs, and I've no heart to ask him to stop. So far only reminded him to keep to the softer pieces when it's late in the night. For those fast, furious and slamming kind of Anime pieces, he should play them earlier in the evenings.

got passion siah. Practice for hours. 

He's past Grade 8 already? Doing Music?

14 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

got passion siah. Practice for hours. 

He's past Grade 8 already? Doing Music?

Unfortunately no. He stopped at G6 a few years back and told me he’s not going to take anymore exams.

So he just prints his own pieces from the internet (some paid, some free but don’t know where he got them from) and give them to his teacher. 

I think it’s fine. Music is not like studies where one has to follow a certain syllabus to do well. 

• Praise 1

Hypersonic
15 minutes ago, firefly20 said:

Unfortunately no. He stopped at G6 a few years back and told me he’s not going to take anymore exams.

So he just prints his own pieces from the internet (some paid, some free but don’t know where he got them from) and give them to his teacher. 

I think it’s fine. Music is not like studies where one has to follow a certain syllabus to do well. 

Cool. Then he's really enjoying it on his own leisure.
U don't need certification unless u are going to be pursuing as a career.

↡ Advertisement