Lucky Plaza PHV Crash: 2 Filipinas Killed Instantly, 4 Seriously Injured - 29/12/19

RadX

You want mandatory safety features in a country where there are still taxis with no airbags, where OMV, leather seats trumps airbags and other safety features?

SUPPORT and I’ll buy you a drink when we get this. 🥂 

Edited by therock
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6
  • Haha! 4

On 1/3/2020 at 12:35 PM, inlinesix said:

That's after it happens.

How to ensure that it does not repeat?

Its unfortunate what happened. But we also cannot have vehicle impact guardrail (VIG) all over the place. If it's a tipper truck, the VIG also won't help (not insinuating that your post is implying this, please do not be offended, just questioning what we could have done). 

The world is already becoming more and more like a jail due to the deadly antics of crazy people, terrorism, frauds... tightening of security, piling on of ridiculous protocols and procedures.

To what ends need we go and then forsake our freedom and space, passion and empathy? 

Perhaps take it as an out lier but learn from it, perhaps find a safer place for picnic?

Do not think we need to do anything, save for the lingering thoughts of whether the injured or dead could had been more efficiently rendered professional assistance thereby averting crippling injuries and death (I gave no chance though to the lady who was whacked against the railing, going down with the vehicle and got landed on... RIP) . 

• Praise 3

30 minutes ago, Phluvcat said:

Its unfortunate what happened. But we also cannot have vehicle impact guardrail (VIG) all over the place. If it's a tipper truck, the VIG also won't help (not insinuating that your post is implying this, please do not be offended, just questioning what we could have done). 

The world is already becoming more and more like a jail due to the deadly antics of crazy people, terrorism, frauds... tightening of security, piling on of ridiculous protocols and procedures.

To what ends need we go and then forsake our freedom and space, passion and empathy? 

Perhaps take it as an out lier but learn from it, perhaps find a safer place for picnic?

Do not think we need to do anything, save for the lingering thoughts of whether the injured or dead could had been more efficiently rendered professional assistance thereby averting crippling injuries and death (I gave no chance though to the lady who was whacked against the railing, going down with the vehicle and got landed on... RIP) . 

Put bollard, can stop any car including trucks

45 minutes ago, Thaiyotakamli said:

Then what about the Indian lady crushed by a tree at botanical gardens while having a picnic. No amount of preventive measures will help when the time to go is here.

We can't prevent anything lah. There will be no end.

• Praise 6

54 minutes ago, Thaiyotakamli said:

How big a bollard? How many is enough? 

Those typical ones at bus stops if hit by tippers probably will be like when a smoker flick a cigarette from his fingers.

We gonna line everywhere with bollards, linkway just so we need not utilise something called umbrellas? 

Edited by Phluvcat

On hindsight, everything can be prevented.

Might as well say if that white car had parked further back, the Vezel would have crashed into it and lives would not have been lost.

• Praise 3

15 hours ago, Phluvcat said:

That’s what I am driving at.

Today ST wrote an article on lack of proper public space for maids to meet.

02023894-B8D0-48DC-9357-AAF2922044EF.jpeg

Edited by inlinesix
  • Shocked 1

16 hours ago, therock said:

You want mandatory safety features in a country where there are still taxis with no airbags, where OMV, leather seats trumps airbags and other safety features?

Those are older taxi.. Think many will soon go to scrap.. As hyundai sonata taxi had been on the road for many years.. Some reaching 7yrs.. So soon all taxi will have at least 2 air bags.. Driver and front passenger side. 

On 1/3/2020 at 11:18 AM, inlinesix said:

How to ensure it does not happen in the 1st place?

The rule of thumb that prevention is better than cure still holds true for me, rather than bleating incessantly that the injured should have been sent to Mt. E, or if the car should have been lifted and victims dragged out from under - don't ignore the fact that the Vezel managed to Dukes of Hazzard launch off the ledge horizontally which suggests considerable speed mowing down the seated Filipinos, then consider those victims landed in the driveway below, and then the Vezel after having finally nosedived into the wall, lands back on top of them again, you could have a fully equipped emergency room from TTSH, NUH or SGH right in than driveway and probably not prevented the inevitable. 

All people can do in the last few pages is focus on criticizing recovery efforts and procedures and less about preventing at least some of the circumstances that could have led to the incident in the first place:

• Press wrong pedal
  • Mechanical failure
  • Fatigue
  • Carelessness
  • Distraction

Especially the last item, ridesharing companies are quick to compartmentalize and isolate their role in incidents (calling them driver-partners for example), in particular the interface with which drivers use to get their next job. There needs to be a better/safer way for drivers to receive their next booking offer (e.g. vehicle must be stationary) rather than trying to grab a job while on the move (often with passengers still on board). 

Your question about "how to ensure" - the problem is you cannot ensure anything in life (even whether the next breath I take would be my last). I could have a perfectly clean bill of health and suffer cardiac arrest, everyone has a chance of that.

Nor can you confirm-chop-guarantee the roof that you sleep under cannot fall upon you when you sleep, because there is always this random chance that there's a big enough earthquake bla bla, so on and so forth. 

Safe driving everyone. 

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, inlinesix said:

Here comes the broom, here comes the vroom vroom.

Here comes the broom.

17 hours ago, Phluvcat said:

How big a bollard? How many is enough? 

Those typical ones at bus stops if hit by tippers probably will be like when a smoker flick a cigarette from his fingers.

We gonna line everywhere with bollards, linkway just so we need not utilise something called umbrellas? 

I think need to install more especially at crowded pedestrian area. Orchard main road got install liao

17 hours ago, Adrianli said:

Then what about the Indian lady crushed by a tree at botanical gardens while having a picnic. No amount of preventive measures will help when the time to go is here.

We can't prevent anything lah. There will be no end.

Nah i am just afraid that terrorist can come to sg rent a car and plough into the pedestrian. This incident shows that an accident can easily caused 2 deaths and 4 injured

20 hours ago, therock said:

Very true bro

Even on cars w full safety features, u see lots of dumb parents w kids on their laps in front and are free to roam in the back without seatbelt or car seat

The problem lies w ignorance and general public acceptance of low safety standards w the misguided notion that shit can onli happen to others....

• Praise 2

3 hours ago, Macrosszero said:

The rule of thumb that prevention is better than cure still holds true for me, rather than bleating incessantly that the injured should have been sent to Mt. E, or if the car should have been lifted and victims dragged out from under - don't ignore the fact that the Vezel managed to Dukes of Hazzard launch off the ledge horizontally which suggests considerable speed mowing down the seated Filipinos, then consider those victims landed in the driveway below, and then the Vezel after having finally nosedived into the wall, lands back on top of them again, you could have a fully equipped emergency room from TTSH, NUH or SGH right in than driveway and probably not prevented the inevitable. 

All people can do in the last few pages is focus on criticizing recovery efforts and procedures and less about preventing at least some of the circumstances that could have led to the incident in the first place:

• Press wrong pedal
  • Mechanical failure
  • Fatigue
  • Carelessness
  • Distraction

Especially the last item, ridesharing companies are quick to compartmentalize and isolate their role in incidents (calling them driver-partners for example), in particular the interface with which drivers use to get their next job. There needs to be a better/safer way for drivers to receive their next booking offer (e.g. vehicle must be stationary) rather than trying to grab a job while on the move (often with passengers still on board). 

Your question about "how to ensure" - the problem is you cannot ensure anything in life (even whether the next breath I take would be my last). I could have a perfectly clean bill of health and suffer cardiac arrest, everyone has a chance of that.

Nor can you confirm-chop-guarantee the roof that you sleep under cannot fall upon you when you sleep, because there is always this random chance that there's a big enough earthquake bla bla, so on and so forth. 

Safe driving everyone. 

Chey!

Rather than giving an answer, you only criticize the question.

There needs to be a better/safer way for drivers to receive their next booking offer (e.g. vehicle must be stationary) rather than trying to grab a job while on the move (often with passengers still on board).

What's the way?

5 hours ago, inlinesix said:

Huh, so many places to gather leh. It’s whether they want to leave their comfort zone to seek new places to gather.

Straits Times’ reporting standard is really world class 👍👏

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6
  • Haha! 1