International Driving Permit (IDP)

Cammys_MR

Internal Moderator
21 minutes ago, Cammys_MR said:

Hi All,lets share for those already done their IDP appplication and countries that require to have it. 👌🖐️👋

Got mine done for Japan.

• Praise 1

Technically it's not necessary. Nevertheless, I do it for peace of mind. I've driven in USA and Germany (don't know if it counts because it was purely on track - the Ring). I've Hertz-rented in the USA and shown the IDP without demand, but I don't know if they would've had issues if I didn't have it. 

Remember that it doesn't replace your sg driving license in any way. A country that doesn't recognise your license will not give any weight to your IDP. 

I think it's a waste of money, but I continue doing it when there's a chance I'll be driving. Placebo effect.

Maybe it helps more for non-English speaking countries that are treaty signatories. Provided there is a decent translation in the IDP - I cannot interpret how accurate those are.

Edited by Turboflat4

It really depend on the country you are going to. You will need to do some simple google and you can find out if you need IDP for the country. IDP is to be used together with your driving license. So if you bring IDP along only, it is effectively useless. Base on my limited knowledge this are those that i know.

Countries that require IDP:
Japan
Thailand

Countries that do not require IDP:
Malaysia
USA

The process is pretty fast, i usually get mine done at AAS Kallang Bahru. Process take about 15-20 mins. $20 base on current rate. Just need to bring your driving license and IC along. no requirement for passport photo.

• Praise 3

I think the term IDP is a misnomer. It's more of a translation of your original licence into other languages for use in non-English speaking countries*. It doesn't necessarily guarantee a holder to be permitted to drive in other countries.

For holders of licences from non-English speaking countries, it'll be useful for use in English-speaking countries or countries that use other languages.

I did IDP 3 times liao. Each time, only last for 1 year. For Japan, Korea and USA.

I do not think need IDP for Thailand. The traffic police stopped me and asked for my SG license instead. Then he confiscated it.:wacko:

• Shocked 1

IDP is not required in USA.

I rent a car and only need to show Sg Driving licence, but I had some problem, bcuz the licence does not have expiry date. Renter insist all licence must have expiry date. Go figure.

24 minutes ago, Kb27 said:

I rent a car and only need to show Sg Driving licence, but I had some problem, bcuz the licence does not have expiry date. Renter insist all licence must have expiry date. Go figure.

IDP required in USA when I rented from Sixty and Enterprise. They want both the SG license and IDP.

1 hour ago, Adrianli said:

IDP required in USA when I rented from Sixty and Enterprise. They want both the SG license and IDP.

I rented from Thrifty this month also no need IDP. No issues encountered whatsoever.

3 hours ago, Adrianli said:

I did IDP 3 times liao. Each time, only last for 1 year. For Japan, Korea and USA.

I do not think need IDP for Thailand. The traffic police stopped me and asked for my SG license instead. Then he confiscated it.:wacko:

Why confiscate???🤔..caught smuggling Thai Gurl??😂

On 12/30/2019 at 10:32 AM, JohnSHL said:

I think the term IDP is a misnomer. It's more of a translation of your original licence into other languages for use in non-English speaking countries*. It doesn't necessarily guarantee a holder to be permitted to drive in other countries.

For holders of licences from non-English speaking countries, it'll be useful for use in English-speaking countries or countries that use other languages.

My experience is that in Japan and S. Korea, and if you rent a car, confirm you need IDP. 

• Praise 3

11 hours ago, Kb27 said:

IDP got expiry date. So, .... LOL.

On 12/31/2019 at 11:13 AM, Adrianli said:

I rented from Sixt recently. They neber ask for IDP leh

32 minutes ago, Soya said:

seems to depend on the rental company's own policy. Might be mentioned on their websites. Or see the counter staff mood? [laugh]

1 hour ago, Soya said:

I rented from the lower Manhattan outlet near Chinatown at NYC. They did ask for both IDP and SG license. Rented a Cadillac CTS but was given a Cadillac ATS.

3 hours ago, Adrianli said:

I rented from the lower Manhattan outlet near Chinatown at NYC. They did ask for both IDP and SG license. Rented a Cadillac CTS but was given a Cadillac ATS.

Me rented from SF. Originally booked a Mini Countryman. Not onli neber ask for IDP but got upgraded to a 430i hardtop convertible somemore. Sixt rules! Haha

20200102_213413.jpg

Edited by Soya
↡ Advertisement