FT discrimination agst locals

Sdf4786k

On 11/5/2011 at 11:36 AM, Good-Carbuyer said:

I believe highly posible. Example: My current Employer employed a FT to be the Project Engineer for the project I am involved. He approved anything the contractor's FW submitted. Those were earlier commented by me for incomplete submission. I believe this is the FT our PM worshipping.

looks like 9 years late and maybe hundred of thousands of Singaporean has being affected.

Now a change to help the Singaporean. I wonder what has become of us when it takes such a lengthy amount of time to react.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/mom-to-update-government-framework-that-deters-employers-from-discriminating-against

SINGAPORE - The Government rules that ensure that employers do not discriminate against Singaporean workers by hiring foreigners will be updated this year.

Minister for Manpower Josephine Teo announced plans to update the Fair Consideration Framework in a Facebook post on Wednesday (Jan 1).

"Expect stronger deterrence for discrimination against Singaporeans when hiring, but also stronger support for employers who are committed to giving our people a fair chance," she said, without giving details of the review.

In her Facebook post, Ms Teo spelt out the Manpower Ministry's key milestones in 2019, such as adopting a 10-year road map to raise retirement and re-employment ages. She also noted that workplace fatalities have declined consistently since 2015 and sustained a record low rate of 1.2 per 100,000 workers for the past two consecutive years.

The Fair Consideration Framework was introduced in August 2014 on the back of a slowdown in the inflow of foreign workers after Singaporeans voiced unhappiness about them taking away good-paying professional, managerial and executive (PME) jobs from locals.

Under the rules then, companies with more than 25 employees must advertise professional, managerial and executive posts that pay less than $12,000 a month. The advertisements need to run for at least 14 days before the firms can apply to the Ministry of Manpower for an Employment Pass (EP) for a foreigner.

The framework was last updated in July 2018 to cover firms with more than 10 employees and jobs that pay less than $15,000 a month.

Under the framework, firms found to be favouring foreigners in hiring are placed on an MOM watchlist and their applications for EPs are scrutinised more closely.  Since 2016, the ministry has placed about 600 firms on the watchlist. A total of 2,300 EP applications have been rejected or withheld by MOM, or withdrawn by employers. 

Some 260 firms were taken off the watchlist after their hiring practices improved. 

The Fair Consideration Framework was introduced in August 2014 on the back of a slowdown in the inflow of foreign workers after Singaporeans voiced unhappiness about them taking away good-paying professional, managerial and executive (PME) jobs from locals.

Under the rules then, companies with more than 25 employees must advertise professional, managerial and executive posts that pay less than $12,000 a month. The advertisements need to run for at least 14 days before the firms can apply to the Ministry of Manpower for an Employment Pass (EP) for a foreigner.

The framework was last updated in July 2018 to cover firms with more than 10 employees and jobs that pay less than $15,000 a month.

Under the framework, firms found to be favouring foreigners in hiring are placed on an MOM watchlist and their applications for EPs are scrutinised more closely.  Since 2016, the ministry has placed about 600 firms on the watchlist. A total of 2,300 EP applications have been rejected or withheld by MOM, or withdrawn by employers. 

Some 260 firms were taken off the watchlist after their hiring practices improved. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 1

If I put the expected salary to be 12.1k then dun need to advertise? 

Then the base salary is 6k and 6.1k of variable allowance inclusive of OT can? 

• Praise 2
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 6

If she is determined and serious enough, first is to reduce the quota of foreign talents, and come down hard on those who did not follow the guidelines. What I see in mist MNCs here is, top management are FT from western countries, bottom layer is a whole group of people that have verylongnamethatiamunabletpronounce. Singaporean? likely have been fired and are busy driving PHV on the road. 

Watchlist? My ex company have been in their watchlist for coming to 10 years and they are still watching after nearly all my excolleagues are replaced and misplaced. 

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 10
  • Angry 1
  • Haha! 3

24 minutes ago, Inlinefour said:

Biggest problem is HR department all FT

How to have a fair practice?

HR these days have no more influences, their job is to help  ensure maximum FT without running into trouble with MOM, the one who make hiring decision is business unit.

• Praise 4

Just think back who open the floodgates for foreigners w/o checking? Now who paints the picture that it's the employers or businesses fault to discriminate locals? Is it really their fault?

This is ridiculous. The way I look at it the ministry restrict and unrestrict foreign manpower at their own will. Lost votes only policy do immediate u-turn. What a mess it created. Now still got to mop up this crap. Wah, watchlist wor. Their first move already betrayed their true intentions w/o the considerations of the local workers. Now say what fair chance wor. You believe or not?

I dont believe it's employers discrimination like how they try to paint the picture. Who do you think the employers were hiring way before the floodgates opened? Who created the situation whereby the employer can hire anyone? And now who is restricting it? So who created this mess?

Say what also can lo. What can the ppl and employers say, right or not?

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 1

Turbocharged

And what about those already sneaked past and on the job? 

Know of an incident where Singaporean managers were replaced with CECA from India.

And you may have guessed it, the HR and boss aren't Singaporeans..

• Praise 6
  • Haha! 1

Just to clarify my points, I am supportive of FT and foreign labour to increase our talent pool and improve our  competitiveness, my concerns is  the system is  mismanaged by MOM and is being abused by companies. 

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 5
  • Haha! 1

Almost all interviewer I face are pinoy or prata 

Instead of me presenting

They start complaint about sillyporean lousy working attitude

Thus I know uplorry liao

Very sad cos pro ft damn serious on sillypore

• Praise 4
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 3

Turbocharged
10 minutes ago, Inlinefour said:

Instead of me presenting

Thus I know uplorry liao

I went for one. Interviewer was the hiring manager.. Indian.

Few weeks later the HR emailed me. I have all the capabilities but not suitable for the customer. Knn.

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 4

Twincharged
3 hours ago, Sdf4786k said:

looks like 9 years late and maybe hundred of thousands of Singaporean has being affected.

Now a change to help the Singaporean. I wonder what has become of us when it takes such a lengthy amount of time to react.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/mom-to-update-government-framework-that-deters-employers-from-discriminating-against

SINGAPORE - The Government rules that ensure that employers do not discriminate against Singaporean workers by hiring foreigners will be updated this year.

Minister for Manpower Josephine Teo announced plans to update the Fair Consideration Framework in a Facebook post on Wednesday (Jan 1).

"Expect stronger deterrence for discrimination against Singaporeans when hiring, but also stronger support for employers who are committed to giving our people a fair chance," she said, without giving details of the review.

In her Facebook post, Ms Teo spelt out the Manpower Ministry's key milestones in 2019, such as adopting a 10-year road map to raise retirement and re-employment ages. She also noted that workplace fatalities have declined consistently since 2015 and sustained a record low rate of 1.2 per 100,000 workers for the past two consecutive years.

Hong Kong happened and election coming. 

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 2

20 minutes ago, Inlinefour said:

Instead of me presenting

Thus I know uplorry liao

At your level also got this problem? I thought it was a bigger problem for mid level workers and not mgmt level....

Do you feel like you face this issue because you worked in China for too long?

Edited by Kusje

8 minutes ago, Solar said:

I went for one. Interviewer was the hiring manager.. Indian.

Few weeks later the HR emailed me. I have all the capabilities but not suitable for the customer. Knn.

huh. the HR so stupid?

Shouldn't the standard template be that you are not selected? No need to give reasons.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
9 minutes ago, Kusje said:

huh. the HR so stupid?

Shouldn't the standard template be that you are not selected? No need to give reasons.

It was a referral from an ex colleague. Maybe that's why they bothered to reply.

IMO it's just following thru motion to show they are considering other races and Singaporeans. 

• Praise 3

21 minutes ago, Solar said:

It was a referral from an ex colleague. Maybe that's why they bothered to reply.

IMO it's just following thru motion to show they are considering other races and Singaporeans. 

They just use the 3 quotes to protect themselves from being label discrimination on singaporean. You just helped them look good

• Praise 3
  • Sad 1
  • Haha! 1

Thought such thing already been happening decade ago liao when the FT floodgate opened? 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 1