FT discrimination agst locals

Sdf4786k

24 minutes ago, Kusje said:

If you are the boss looking to keep a lean structure, will you hire a singaporean who has to run off for weeks every year - might even be during the peak periods. Or hire someone whom you know will be here when you need them?

But what if one is a non-officer and after 40 leh? (Like me)

↡ Advertisement

2 minutes ago, Fcw75 said:

But what if one is a non-officer and after 40 leh? (Like me)

Then that's not a factor. If you're still being discriminated against, it will be other non-economic factors such as age or maybe others are right in saying that the HR depts are all headed by FT.

Edited by Kusje

10 minutes ago, Mockngbrd said:

Last time my ex workplace small company le. Sure kenna tell go fly kite. You think i GIC ah? 

Not GIC or some rich MNC then why are you interviewing the fellows asking for 5k or 6k? 

Seriously, your HR cannot make it. Just ask them upfront what their asking salary is before scheduling the interview. Saves your time and theirs.

• Praise 2

29 minutes ago, Kusje said:

If you are the boss looking to keep a lean structure, will you hire a singaporean who has to run off for weeks every year - might even be during the peak periods. Or hire someone whom you know will be here when you need them?

Last time, my team has 3 team member to prepare regional budget (both Excel & Presentation).

Knowing the usual timing of our budget, 1 of my team member choose his wedding to be earlier.  Unfortunately, timing was pushed forward.  Of course, i can't ask him to change his wedding.

Another 1 of my team member has to serve reservist in the peak of budget week.  Of course, we can't get any form of deferral.

Regional budget involves aggregation of P&L for 2 segment of biz involving 16 companies.

7 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Last time, my team has 3 team member to prepare regional budget (both Excel & Presentation).

Knowing the usual timing of our budget, 1 of my team member choose his wedding to be earlier.  Unfortunately, timing was pushed forward.  Of course, i can't ask him to change his wedding.

Another 1 of my team member has to serve reservist in the peak of budget week.  Of course, we can't get any form of deferral.

Regional budget involves aggregation of P&L for 2 segment of biz involving 16 companies.

Did you or your company write letter? 

Someone I know was also in a team of 3 (1 boss, 2 workers) as the worker. 1 worker quit and my friend was the sole worker left behind and he had to serve reservist before a new fellow could be hired. So company wrote letter which was rejected (mind you, this is a top 50 fortune company). Poor fellow had to go down to MP 2 times to beg before mindef would let him defer.

I think army and mom pretends not to know - when someone has to serve reservist and can't get their work done, the boss and coworkers will blame the fellow.

There are also very hardworking Singaporeans. My auditors work until 12am every night at my office premise, and they are all local kids.

There are always people who are more driven and people who are more laid back. This is not the issue. The issue is the mass influx of foreign workers into our shore, let in by the government.

• Praise 5

i will give priority to the locals when come to recruitment as part of my responsibility to contribute to the growth of local economic and talent development.

• Praise 6

6 minutes ago, Weez911 said:

There are also very hardworking Singaporeans. My auditors work until 12am every night at my office premise, and they are all local kids.

There are always people who are more driven and people who are more laid back. This is not the issue. The issue is the mass influx of foreign workers into our shore, let in by the government.

wah boss...why the external auditors need to work until so late?

accounts very messy because need to double check on your ktv bills?

🤣

• Haha! 2

19 minutes ago, Lava said:

i will give priority to the locals when come to recruitment as part of my responsibility to contribute to the growth of local economic and talent development.

when the FT managers hear this, what they hear is that you are discriminating against them and legitimizes their attempts to hire their own.

• Sad 1

56 minutes ago, Kusje said:

Did you or your company write letter? 

Someone I know was also in a team of 3 (1 boss, 2 workers) as the worker. 1 worker quit and my friend was the sole worker left behind and he had to serve reservist before a new fellow could be hired. So company wrote letter which was rejected (mind you, this is a top 50 fortune company). Poor fellow had to go down to MP 2 times to beg before mindef would let him defer.

I think army and mom pretends not to know - when someone has to serve reservist and can't get their work done, the boss and coworkers will blame the fellow.

Wrote in to MINDEF and rejected.  Luckily, we are able to pull 1 headcount from actuarial team.

1 minute ago, inlinesix said:

Wrote in to MINDEF and rejected.  Luckily, we are able to pull 1 headcount from actuarial team.

you didn't appeal means not sincere enough.

Need to see you beg and ask MP for help then can get deferred.

51 minutes ago, Weez911 said:

Most auditors (local or foreigner) work this kind of crazy hours during December closing.  Most of them get into the business with eye wide open

Just now, Kusje said:

you didn't appeal means not sincere enough.

Need to see you beg and ask MP for help then can get deferred.

By the time we know it, we are 3 months before our peak.

We appealed but still rejected.  I think my MP then was Edwin Tong.

1 hour ago, Kusje said:

Not GIC or some rich MNC then why are you interviewing the fellows asking for 5k or 6k? 

Seriously, your HR cannot make it. Just ask them upfront what their asking salary is before scheduling the interview. Saves your time and theirs.

While that is true HR will say these guys are choosy..

but there is no upfront terms of employment for the role when you apply. Would be much more easier if they put annual leave one month one day . 14 days medical . No other allowance. Some Super jialat one even tells you the 6000 include you paying your own cpf ..

WTF is that ???

10 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Must be cultural issue within mindef not aligned with how the business world operates.

12 minutes ago, Sdf4786k said:

While that is true HR will say these guys are choosy..

but there is no upfront terms of employment for the role when you apply. Would be much more easier if they put annual leave one month one day . 14 days medical . No other allowance. Some Super jialat one even tells you the 6000 include you paying your own cpf ..

WTF is that ???

Like I said. HR didn't do their job and didn't screen the candidates properly. Why let the hiring manager interview candidates looking for 6k when their budget isn't even close to it? Not that there's anything wrong with candidates looking for 6k - those top scoring guys can easily get that.

Or did they purposely get unsuitable local candidates to be interviewed so they can follow up with good FTs?

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

21 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

By the time we know it, we are 3 months before our peak.

We appealed but still rejected.  I think my MP then was Edwin Tong.

Manager approach the MP useless. Need the staff to approach MP and say bonus/job depends on it.

3 months before is normal since that's the notice period they have to give for saf100. If your staff is really dependable, he would have taken MC from NS and came back to work [grin]

Edited by Kusje

5 hours ago, Kusje said:

No. Is bo bian. Specialized industry, we need to see if their work is worth what they ask $$$.

Also kenna before, pinoy, good good cert, say got work experience. In the end can't do shit, work lousier den intern. She quit by herself after we giv her many failed attempts to improve. End up fail and cry. 

Edited by Mockngbrd
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1