COVID-19 Outbreak: 313 Confirmed Cases in SG, 117 Discharged, 15 Critical (18 Mar)

Carbon82

9 minutes ago, 13177 said:

Have you recovered already?

Yes, took 1 week to recover. Incubation period is 24 days though. So hope nothing happens over next 3 days..

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

2 minutes ago, Lethalstrike said:

$16.5 million per year? That's peanuts and way cheaper than keeping the entire parliament in employment per year. 😁

Spend the money to buy public confidence? If I'm the PAP I'm definitely in. But I guess nobody assume this scenario prior. 

Maybe even less now if we sell back these masks to our population at cost, which they will happily buy 🙂

Agreed with the lack of "total defence" planning on epidemic, I hope this is a good lesson learnt. Many takeaways from this unfortunate episode.

• Praise 4

i heard a lot by asking why can't we produce our own mask?

it is not difficult to bring in mask making machine and convert part of ST factory to produce mask, but the main issue is where to get supply for raw materials? the raw materials are still coming from china.

• Praise 3

12 minutes ago, Weez911 said:

Maybe even less now if we sell back these masks to our population at cost, which they will happily buy 🙂

Agreed with the lack of "total defence" planning on epidemic, I hope this is a good lesson learnt. Many takeaways from this unfortunate episode.

I think it’s the miscalculation part at play...the kiasu kiasi part especially...

open...some more lah 

It’s relative...

1 hour ago, Weez911 said:

Again, back of envelop calculation, we will need about approximately 825m masks for a usage of 5 months for 5.5m population.

Before this virus outbreak, a box of 50 masks costs $6. If the govt is making bulk purchase, I'm confident we can get it at $5 max, possibly less. This will equate $0.10 for a mask, or $82.5m over 5 years as the masks have useful life of 5 years, giving us $16.5m per year if we stagger our purchase over 5 years. This is only 0.1% of our 2019 MINDEF expenditure of $15bn.  

Or 1.9% of PMO annual budget at $872m.

For my NS post, I was trying to emphasize the importance of preparation. But IB logic is we don't need to prepare for a viral outbreak event since they don't happen regularly. 

Hard to imagine that after SARS and H1N1 we are still understocked.. Then because supply limited now have to say healthy no need wear, the G lead by example no one wearing. Whole world only SG say no need wear.. I really hate this cos I have enough masks for my family, and yet my folks tell me no need cos the G say so.. Who will be responsible if they really *touch wood* kena the virus?

• Praise 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha! 1

16 minutes ago, RadX said:

2 more died 

Really?? I did not read about that. Quarantining them on the ship was obviously not the right choice once u see new cases daily. 
Not sure why the Japanese government acted in such a way.
Probably better to evacuate them by batches and test them off shore. Release them once negative or sent t hospital.

Then to keep them stuck on the ship.. now it’s like the worst outcome.... soooo many cases.. instead of like 10 cases now u end up with hundreds...

4 minutes ago, Wind30 said:

Really?? I did not read about that. Quarantining them on the ship was obviously not the right choice once u see new cases daily. 
Probably better to evacuate them by batches and test them off shore. Release them once negative or sent t hospital.

Then to keep them stuck on the ship.. now it’s like the worst outcome.... soooo many cases.. instead of like 10 cases now u end up with hundreds...

correction...not onboard...but succumbed to infection

• Praise 1
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Lava said:

i heard a lot by asking why can't we produce our own mask?

it is not difficult to bring in mask making machine and convert part of ST factory to produce mask, but the main issue is where to get supply for raw materials? the raw materials are still coming from china.

Our garment won’t invest in low tech low barrier of entry type one lah...they’ve invested much in logistics so that we can have sufficient space to stock piles most of the necessities...then invest in more critical ones like water, greens, defence etc for more self reliance...

They need to take a long term view...people also asked why no race track for F1...if they do cave in to self produce mask...I’d see it only as a mean to appease the noise if it gets too loud...

ear plugs next before goggle, plastic gloves, toilet paper....?

• Haha! 3

3 minutes ago, Wind30 said:

Because the Japanese are at a loss of what to do. Its a scenario which they had never faced before. SARS didn't affect Japan as much as China, HK, Taiwan and SG back in 2003. 

If you had experience working in a Japanese company before, you will know it takes many layers of approval and tons of consensus making just to arrive at a decision. It is also not uncommon for a meeting to be have no conclusion or decision made. You can everyone in the first meeting to discuss everything, only to have to arrange for a second meeting for further discussions on the first meeting. 

Highly bureaucratic situation within Japan. 

• Praise 2

16 minutes ago, RadX said:

2 died onboard

Thats what i have been thinking, and I did ask earlier, what happen if someone die on board.. 

And my worst thoughts finally came...-_-

35 minutes ago, Mustank said:

If stockpile, should not sell to residents at $0

should sell at cost and to residents only 

but after this event, I think people will stock pile abit

I hope ppl will start to wear mask when their are sick in the future and keep some mask at home. Otherwise I doubt many will have masks at home when the next virus crisis hit us. The last one that unsettled Singaporean at such a scale was SARS in 2003, 17yrs ago. You reckon many ppl will make sure they have some masks at home, keep the masks up to date, etc for 10yrs or more, without using regularly when someone in the family is ill? 

People may just go back to the old lifestyle again, just like how some of us deal with haze situation. After a decades of haze problem, we still see ppl rushing out to buy N95 masks and snapped up every available one on the shelves when we are hit by serious haze problem. 

So far, I feel some people are focusing too much what we don’t have easy access to (and probably less important at this point) and over look the more critical aspects such trying to improve on our own personal hygiene, etc. 

I bet many of us have seen ppl using hand sanitiser or wash their hands correctly, only to wipe or touch their trousers before eating or touching their face. Some couldn’t even be bothered to wash their hands. Or people handling their mask wrongly. 

Edited by Silver_blade
  • Praise 8

Just now, Tianmo said:

Thats what i have been thinking, and I did ask earlier, what happen if someone die on board.. 

And my worst thoughts finally came...-_-

this not really sure...they say 2 died..and report vague whether onboard or offboard 

but succumbed to Covid....

• Praise 2

7 minutes ago, Wind30 said:

Confined space will only end up with more infections.  They dunno meh?? 

• Praise 1

Just now, Silver_blade said:

I hope ppl will start to wear mask when their are sick in the future and keep some mask at home. Otherwise I doubt many will have masks at home when the next virus crisis hit us. The last one that unsettled Singaporean at such a scale was SARS in 2003, 17yrs ago. You reckon many ppl will make sure they have some masks at home, keep the masks up to date, etc for 10yrs or more, without using regularly when someone in the family is ill? 

People may just go back to the old lifestyle again, just how some of us deal with haze situation. After a decades of haze problem, we still see ppl rushing out to buy N95 masks and snapped up every available one on the shelves. 

So far, I feel some people are focusing too much what we don’t have easy access to (and probably less important at this point) and over look the more critical aspects such trying to improve on our own personal hygiene, etc. 

I bet many of us have seen ppl using hand sanitiser or wash their hands correctly, only to wipe or touch their trousers before eating or touching their face. Some couldn’t even be bothered to wash their hands. Or people handling their mask wrongly. 

look at japan, almost 75% wear masks....

• Praise 4

Just now, Count-Bracula said:

Confined space will only end up with more infections.  They dunno meh?? 

exactly....and it's like no where to run

• Haha! 1

2 minutes ago, RadX said:

correction...not onboard...but succumbed to infection

Sometimes people need to be brave and admit the mistake and take corrective action once new information is available.

quarantining them on ship is probably a reasonable choice provided u can prevent secondary infection. But obviously the have failed that and they refuse to change course. And now the quarantine period has ended, I thought they will extend it or do something since there is secondary infection.,, but to safe face, they just release everyone.... just to show that the quarantine works.

but I bet one of those 600 is going to test positive in the next few weeks ... probably more than 1....

9 minutes ago, Wind30 said:

Yah better to transfer them to a building or school hostel for quarantine as ship doesnt have good air circulation and add on small cabins, the virus will mutilate even faster

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1