COVID-19 Outbreak: 313 Confirmed Cases in SG, 117 Discharged, 15 Critical (18 Mar)

Carbon82

37 minutes ago, Icedbs said:

Good advert for Novena Healthcity that is being constructed now and all the properties in Novena/Balestier area? 😁

richie rich from indo, brunei, prc all come to spore for medical treatment bring billions dollars ... that’s fine

spore want to get a pie for medical hub

just make sure got affordable medical care for sinkies ...

Edited by Wt_know
↡ Advertisement

One idiot in the office, always sneezes very loudly the spray nasal fluid and right in your face type. 

Yesterday gave out one super loud sneeze,  sonic BOOM....! Those sitting around him found it amusing and started giggling. 

Si gin nah ..... Mmm zhai si. 

7 minutes ago, Wt_know said:

richie rich from indo, brunei, prc all come to spore for medical treatment bring billions dollars ... that’s fine

spore want to get a pie for medical hub

just make sure got affordable medical care for sinkies ...

Yup must make sure Doctors don’t charge so high consult fees for locals.. 

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, Tianmo said:

I have no intention to relate to any religion, but I really cannot quite understand. So I asked my maid last night, " what exactly do you do when you go to your church?" 

If it is human close contact, I have seen Muslim prayers on Fridays, quite massive, and they also stay quite close to each other. It is also their custom to shake hands and place it to their hearts as a form of greetings, I dont think Muslim prayers is any less crowded or body contact than Church prayers lor.

Then we look at Chinese temples, CNY eve would have caused a total outbreak given how crowded many temples are on CNY eve when ppl go 接财神 or 上头香, they are so crowed that in some temples ppl are standing almost back to back like in a jam pack MRT cabin. Then we have the 4th day when many go 拜太岁,again the places are so crowded. 

I have been to Sunday church and festive gatherings in Church when I was younger, and I find nothing unusual. So, I still dont understand how come the 2 clusters in SG are churches, and the SK outbreak seem to be also concentrating among churches? :huh:[laugh][laugh]

When I posted a question as to why are so many churches involved, below is the answer I got from another poster:

"As to why a number of churches are involved, it shows the strong bonds and support within the Christian community that unfortunately also translate into an easier spread for the contagion."

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 4

2 minutes ago, Fitvip said:

When I posted a question as to why are so many churches involved, below is the answer I got from another poster:

"As to why a number of churches are involved, it shows the strong bonds and support within the Christian community that unfortunately also translate into an easier spread for the contagion."

Wa like that can also say till so nice.. Really pro.. 

• Haha! 5

30 minutes ago, golden_eagle said:

Why does virus not like humid atmosphere rather than low humidity? 

This is actually an excellent question. If you think about it, it's actually rather counter-intuitive given that higher relative humidity (RH) will lead to greater stability of water in liquid form, and therefore, presumably greater persistence of the droplets responsible for transmission of the virus. 

So a few thoughts occurred to me - could it be an in vivo (human-related) phenomenon only? Mucosal surface ciliary clearance works best in moist conditions, which higher humidity supports.

Or perhaps it could just be the high temperature, unrelated to the humidity? After all, the two tend to occur together in tropical climes.

Both of those are inadequate explanations, when you consider the results of this study on "SARS classic":https://www.hindawi.com/journals/av/2011/734690/

Not only can the effect be demonstrated in vitro, but high humidity exerts an independent effect on the inactivation of virions. 

The study did throw up something very interesting though - it seems higher humidity only works well when you combine it with higher temperature. Increasing humidity when holding temperature at a constant lower value has practically no effect. 

So all that's empirical, but how to explain it mechanistically? I honestly don't know. My best guess is increased free radical generation (superoxide, singlet oxygen and hydroxyl) from dissolved oxygen and water at higher temperatures, but I don't known enough Chemistry to assess the plausibility of this hypothesis. 

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 4

1 hour ago, RadX said:

That’s said I had a little tiff on ppl “praying for the sick”

I then asked

”pray to stay or pray to go”...

and added my disclaimer, “limpeh catholic”

😂😂

lets be real here la and not get too fanatical abt it

In your heart you say: "limpeh undertaker! What do you think?"

• Haha! 4

48 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

I remember reading in an Isaac Asimov book (of all places) this quote: "Life is pleasurable. Death is peaceful. It is the transition that is troublesome." 

So we should all hope for a largely pain-free, quick transition. 

Lucky for us, we have you. Our own cut-price (cut-throat??) Chari-makan Charon, to help ferry us across the Styx. 😂😂😂

We can only hope, but no guarantee. I remember the old man had the same wish, but,  it turned out otherwise!

1 hour ago, Wt_know said:

yalor YT or FB live streaming [thumbsup] 

just need 1 x iPhone setup nia 

Yah la. Can earn advertising like those influencers some more..

What's wrong with these people??

1 minute ago, Fitvip said:

We can only hope, but no guarantee. I remember the old man had the same wish, but,  it turned out otherwise!

I'm not a religious person, not am I generally given to magical thinking. But my former Hindu faith teaches about karma, and my current good friend (a devout Chinese Buddhist) also strongly believes that karma, good or bad, will always manifest itself and cannot be bargained with. 

I'll just leave it at that. 

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 2

talk about religion, I just want to share one incident last week. My wife and I were at space ship place around buona vista. We were sitting there after dinner when a guy and a girl approach us and ask us what we think about the virus.....

I dun think it is a right time to spread your believe when we are trying to minimise contact. We were not wearing mask and they were, we told them we are not worried or think too much about the epidemic and it is not the end of the world.... they tried very hard but I told them it is really ok.... I dun want to know so much about life [laugh]

• Haha! 10

12 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

I'm not a religious person, not am I generally given to magical thinking. But my former Hindu faith teaches about karma, and my current good friend (a devout Chinese Buddhist) also strongly believes that karma, good or bad, will always manifest itself and cannot be bargained with. 

I'll just leave it at that. 

Just like my mantra 

do unto others BEFORE they do unto you

ommmmmm

• Haha! 2

3 minutes ago, Jman888 said:

talk about religion, I just want to share one incident last week. My wife and I were at space ship place around buona vista. We were sitting there after dinner when a guy and a girl approach us and ask us what we think about the virus.....

I dun think it is a right time to spread your believe when we are trying to minimise contact. We were not wearing mask and they were, we told them we are not worried or think too much about the epidemic and it is not the end of the world.... they tried very hard but I told them it is really ok.... I dun want to know so much about life [laugh]

Send them to me hahahhah

• Haha! 3

13 hours ago, Weez911 said:

Yep, quite deflating to see situation in China getting somewhat better but pockets of outbreak happening in Japan, Korea and now Iran. This virus is a tough cookie.

Going to be a tough battle.. Hope that vaccines and med get developed soon

• Praise 2

1 hour ago, Tianmo said:

I pray for a smart cookie before we made him that night lor,  and luckily my prayer didnt  work, and he came, otherwise I seriously dont know how to handle a cookie....[:p][laugh][laugh]

All are tough cookies 

need to soak in some milk to soften...that’s why we let the mother to handle with love plus milk...

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1