COVID-19 Outbreak: 313 Confirmed Cases in SG, 117 Discharged, 15 Critical (18 Mar)

Carbon82

2 minutes ago, Philipkee said:

I believe the thinking is that if there is need to wear masks suddenly, the plan is slowly release reserves and ramp up supply.  But now whole world is short of masks.

is the way of releasing, for sure the same batch of kiasu/kiasi people will go everyday to snatch the supply even if you release 10 billion over a week, there will still people who dun get to buy.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3
  • Shocked 1

23 hours ago, Arogab said:

Forgive this chap. This in the first place should not be published. That's why it is call a "leak". 

Secondly, anyone saw him in the TV recently during CNY?? He has gotten so much white hair and looks much older. I wonder if I have white hair and he got so much more. Is he working so much harder than us?? He got no MCF to joke with undertaker lah

nothing a 5 dollars hair dye cant fixed ..

as for those hordes the food and stuff, there should be a mass comms from homes and welfare services where the poor can benefit from such waste ...

Send a comms out on where to place those items.

Edited by Sdf4786k
  • Haha! 2

11 hours ago, Camrysfa said:

43dvZ7o.png

For the past 5 days I have been seeing this ad in the ST.

Today's ad grew in size to about a quarter page; when I first saw it on Sat, it was a bit smaller , maybe about 17cm x 12cm.

why need to run the ad so many days? How much does it cost per day? How many newspapers? How much do they give out a year? wouldn't the ad cost be better used to give the ang pao through other means?

There must be a reason for doing it ....😲

I think they're being responsible.  Cos there's many older gen who may need a lil more effort to reach. 

Anyway... is better those some who insist religious gatherings must continue unchanged... not targeting any group in particular hor.

• Praise 1

11 minutes ago, Galantspeedz said:

You buy wrong thing lar... up to early jan taobao selling 3 ply masks, sgd4 for 200... if you stock up, you now can pay for condo liao lol

Do this kind of jek ah thing to pay house 

mlmlwml 

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 1

I have a box of N95 and surgical mask at home but that was always in my first aid kit and to prepare in case the PSI exceeds the healthy range. However I am not using them because it is not necessary. (I feel lah... don't flam pls...)

When I was in Thailand a week ago I did have my mask on but I feel the mask doesn't necessary protect me when its on. No matter how you secure it there will still be gaps especially when you exhale. It traps all moisture inside so make sense to wear when one is sick. Also being unfamiliar to have something covering my mouth and nose I kept adjusting it and not to mention that it is uncomfortable which made me scratch the area that was covered. 

I think I shall heed Dr. Leong's advise, your face is sacred. Also wearing a mask only covers half of the number of orifices on the head. The other half is still expose which is susceptible to virus infection  since the little buggers travels by water vapor/droplets. Now I understand why the PRCs wear a water bottle over their head. Will get major headache when people keep knocking on the bloody bottle. 

• Praise 3

10 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

$30k can buy a mask manufacturing machine liao, of course that is probably not a high end equipment. Taobao have . 

If it's bolehland, invoice probably marked up to $3M. Everyone will take a cut, machine produce low quality and low quantity. Then will breakdown and then their political clowns will blame SG for hoarding their masks...

Yes better we produce it ourselves 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

2 minutes ago, Philipkee said:

The same thinking when people think why stock up on masks and hand sanitisers when we can just buy it when we need?  Never had such prolonged shortage before ever (in early jan 2020).

I believe the thinking is that if there is need to wear masks suddenly, the plan is slowly release reserves and ramp up supply.  But now whole world is short of masks.

Like the British in singapore.  Plan for war is british and american fleet come to Singapore naval base.  But when war came the whole world was at war.  

Kind of unprecedented.  Blame them for not being prepared?  Yea.  I blame them but its more of how they speak.  Level of preparedness I reserve comments.  Cos it's easy in hindsight to say more reserves. But in reality it's a thin line to that and over prepared.

We have people scolding the govt for keeping too much reserves when we have poor among us.  I think if the govt had kept 1 billion masks and this epidemic had not happened, we will be scolding the govt for spending on useless masks when we have poor with no food.

We comment on NS cos now there is no war.  If the govt relaxes NS and a decade down the road a war breaks out, we will probably scold the govt again.

Peace.

Again, back of envelop calculation, we will need about approximately 825m masks for a usage of 5 months for 5.5m population.

Before this virus outbreak, a box of 50 masks costs $6. If the govt is making bulk purchase, I'm confident we can get it at $5 max, possibly less. This will equate $0.10 for a mask, or $82.5m over 5 years as the masks have useful life of 5 years, giving us $16.5m per year if we stagger our purchase over 5 years. This is only 0.1% of our 2019 MINDEF expenditure of $15bn.  

Or 1.9% of PMO annual budget at $872m.

For my NS post, I was trying to emphasize the importance of preparation. But IB logic is we don't need to prepare for a viral outbreak event since they don't happen regularly.

• Praise 6
  • Shocked 1

41 minutes ago, Weez911 said:

Why make my son go NS when there has been no war in Singapore for the past 75 years?

Total defence my foot.

#IBLogic

that explains it I Guess..

1 hour ago, BenTong said:

Come peacetime,  would strongly recommend each household to stock:

2 boxes of surgical mask per head = 100 pieces

1 box of N95 per head 

30 bottles of hand sanitizer per head

Every 3 years (expiry) throw and replenish.. 

Don’t have.. Fine $5k or 3 weeks attachment with undertaker

Can pm the clinic which has ample flu vaccine? 🙏🙏🙏

24 minutes ago, Ody_2004 said:

errr.. what if otherwise? If no NS war come? this like buying insurance.. buy and hope don use! whahahahahaha...

I oso got 2 sons.. one going in April.. 

This is interesting. Shouldn't we apply same logic to stock up X number of masks per Singaporean as insurance? Another outbreak of disease here is many times more likely than war - Nipah, Bird Flu, SARS and now this. 

• Praise 2

11 minutes ago, Weez911 said:

Again, back of envelop calculation, we will need about approximately 825m masks for a usage of 5 months for 5.5m population.

Before this virus outbreak, a box of 50 masks costs $6. If the govt is making bulk purchase, I'm confident we can get it at $5 max, possibly less. This will equate $0.10 for a mask, or $82.5m over 5 years as the masks have useful life of 5 years, giving us $16.5m per year if we stagger our purchase over 5 years. This is only 0.1% of our 2019 MINDEF expenditure of $15bn.  

For my NS post, I was trying to emphasize the importance of preparation. But IB logic is we don't need to prepare for a viral outbreak event since they don't happen regularly.

After this episode perhaps they might do it. Then in the next outbreak, anyone not wearing masks will be labeled Idiotic, irresponsible and causing panic! 

• Praise 2

9 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

After this episode perhaps they might do it. Then in the next outbreak, anyone not wearing masks will be labeled Idiotic, irresponsible and causing panic! 

Or if they calculate having a mask production facility is cheaper than the $16.5m annual expenditure for masks, then it will be even better.

But I guess it is perfectly fine to label people as idiots and suckers here.

I will get instantly banned in many other forums, even the US-based TRF, if I use those terms. Love MCF.

Edited by Weez911

21 minutes ago, Mustank said:

Do this kind of jek ah thing to pay house 

mlmlwml 

during the SARs, the main supplier only jack up 10 % to cover the expedited freight services to SG. 

The distributor hike 30% to cover the cost of forecasted drop in demand after the episode. Yet if you ask, is it justifiable to raise prices to shore up for the huge drop after the episode, it would be a difficult response.

So, what should be the right response? Perhaps a better negotiation of supplier classification to gold status in terms of payment terms?

Should be a win-win situation, from a biz point of view as well. Obviously, you wouldn't want to be perceived as a standard benchmark for an above and beyond in services rendered.

• Praise 1

24 minutes ago, Didu said:

COVID-19: First patient in Singapore discharged after 28-day stay, counts himself lucky - report

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/covid-19-first-patient-in-singapore-discharged-after-28-day-stay-counts-himself-lucky-140953759.html

I saw video of our Chinese newspaper interview uncle. He looks pretty happy. Luckily SGH not billing him for the hospital stay. [laugh]

that is why I keep saying our stupid government to close our borders to all non-essential china traffic, not just hubei some time back...

If not, some china people will probably decide to take a vacation in Singapore, just to avoid the virus. common sense...

If I am from China, I will probably do the same. 

Edited by Wind30
  • Haha! 2

2 minutes ago, Weez911 said:

Let me just share my own experience here. I fell ill during the CNY week. Down with Cough and Fever. This is the chronology of events:

28jan-fever and cough. Visited clinic no masks for me and all the patients.

29jan-got worse then visited a different clinic to get 2nd opinion. Again no mask for me. Even the doc also not wearing.

30jan-went back clinic for chest x Ray and blood test. I wear my own mask there. On the same day, Govt announced give 5m masks to everyone. My heart fell there and then when I heard the news..

Over that 3 days I could possibly be infected by all those around me in the clinic coughing and puffing. If the rhetoric is only sick need wear mask, shouldn't the first priority and SOP to make sure all those people in a clinic are wearing a mask? I really pity the docs who risk their live during this time. I was told that during that time each clinic only allocated 1 box a week? Instead the G distributed 5m masks to household, who may never even need to use it cos they are all healthy.

No one know how long this will last. Is it prudent and have they really done their sums when all these masks are distributed to everyone? I can only hope so and we will not suffer the consequence of this decision..

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Sad 1