COVID-19 Outbreak: 313 Confirmed Cases in SG, 117 Discharged, 15 Critical (18 Mar)

Carbon82

9 minutes ago, noobcarbuyer said:

Seen at the airport.

We have officially reached peak "xiaxuay". 

Not I say one. 4G minister say one. 

Screenshot_20200220-095822_WhatsApp.thumb.jpg.68b308381f214ba796500bc741f23d06.jpg

i am sure some 'idiot' will take away if he is the first one came out from immigration, quickly take and get out cos ICA is not going to check who that belongs to [laugh]

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Weez911 said:

Why make my son go NS when there has been no war in Singapore for the past 75 years?

Total defence my foot.

#IBLogic

I would want my boy go NS though, is another chapter of life, although I can see now the army boys looks so ku 娘

25 minutes ago, Wind30 said:

take care and recover fast...

I honestly think their stockpile is much more than the 5million they gave out. I read somewhere they have like around 15-17? million N95 for haze so I expect normal surgical masks to be more than N95. Did they announce how many surgical mask we have in our stockpile?

But obviously it is not enough from the way they had to restrict its usage. 

Thanks Bro.. lucky I have recovered already. or so I hope as incubation period is 24 days. I still got 3 days to go to confirm really bo dai ji...

17 minutes ago, Philipkee said:

I get your point.  Two things come to my mind.

1)  N95 seems to be a better option seeing that haze is more regular. N95 is also more effective against virus. Of course the surgical mask should be available for the unwell or maybe asthmatic who no matter cannot wear the mask.  It's a balance.

2)  My take is investment made on mask is one thing.  There should be an investment on when to wear a mask, HOW TO WEAR AND HOW TO DISPOSE of them.  The focus seems to be on mask availability but not the two points.  But I think the two points in caps are equally important as well.

I do roughly get your earlier point.  Just saying the mentality of the govt in not overprparing for epidemics is the same as people saying no need NS as it's over preparing.   I am not exactly a govt  defender.  Dont mind my shocked reaction.  It's the default reaction for me it looks nicer than the smiley or thumbs up.  :D

If we had 1 billion masks right now, I can bet my last dollar Gurmit Singh will be showing us on TV proper way to wear mask liao

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 4

The coming week is going to be interesting.. we pray the single NTF dengue --> Covid case does not cause a secondary large spread of cases.
That will trigger many issues downstream and can propel us up the CoVid billboard charts..

It's still orange, but a deeper shade..

Pray hard..

• Praise 2

33 minutes ago, denser said:

why do a healthy person needs to wear a mask? I agreed a sick or old will need for precaution, I heard now wearing a mask become a fashion thingy...rolleyes

Not wait till shit come out till your ass then look for toilet

Eat healthy, keep personal good hygiene and exercise daily

Healthy person wearing mask is to protect himself against those people who are sick and not wearing mask lo. Lol. This is why you see so many people are wearing masks.

• Praise 1

Just now, Wt_know said:

world map ... 

On a positive, only 300+ cases from China today. It is a very sharp drop from 2k for the past few days.

The lock-down happened on 23 Jan. If we add 14 days, we should see 1 drop off on 6 Feb, and another 14 days for all the close contacts at home to surface - 20 Feb. Hope the number tapers off from today.

• Praise 3

Looks like the the situation is getting uncontrollable in South Korea. +31 cases in one day. Japan too.

Singapore 84 0 34

Japan 84 1 20

South Korea 82 0 16

Edited by Stooky

13 hours ago, Windwaver said:

Made in Singapore masks will be GOLD STANDARD :grin:

yeah, just need to put a positive spin on the box and people will cheong for our made in SG masks.

SG88 - 3 ply surgical mask

SG88HUAT - 4ply + charcoal, can also use in car 

"Made in Singapore"

"Gold Standard"  ...   HARVARD

"赞" ...  World Health Organisation

etc etc ...

• Haha! 3

42 minutes ago, noobcarbuyer said:

Seen at the airport.

We have officially reached peak "xiaxuay". 

Not I say one. 4G minister say one. 

Screenshot_20200220-095822_WhatsApp.thumb.jpg.68b308381f214ba796500bc741f23d06.jpg

Thus one xia suay, then those collect 4 free masks? Gian png? Hmm... 

Again, back of envelop calculation, we will need about approximately 825m masks for a usage of 5 months for 5.5m population.

Before this virus outbreak, a box of 50 masks costs $6. If the govt is making bulk purchase, I'm confident we can get it at $5 max, possibly less. This will equate $0.10 for a mask, or $82.5m over 5 years as the masks have useful life of 5 years, giving us $16.5m per year if we stagger our purchase over 5 years. This is only 0.1% of our 2019 MINDEF expenditure of $15bn.  

Or 1.9% of PMO annual budget at $872m.

For my NS post, I was trying to emphasize the importance of preparation. But IB logic is we don't need to prepare for a viral outbreak event since they don't happen regularly.

If stockpile, should not sell to residents at $0

should sell at cost and to residents only 

but after this event, I think people will stock pile abit

• Praise 3

1 hour ago, Volvobrick said:

This is interesting. Shouldn't we apply same logic to stock up X number of masks per Singaporean as insurance? Another outbreak of disease here is many times more likely than war - Nipah, Bird Flu, SARS and now this. 

well, with the revise way of warfare, they don't necessarily go all out to destroy the infrastructure.

I believe its safe to not have bomb shelter anymore...

The question then is how to deplete the stockpile of pre-build housing shelter?

1 hour ago, Matoonia said:

Let me just share my own experience here. I fell ill during the CNY week. Down with Cough and Fever. This is the chronology of events:

28jan-fever and cough. Visited clinic no masks for me and all the patients.

29jan-got worse then visited a different clinic to get 2nd opinion. Again no mask for me. Even the doc also not wearing.

30jan-went back clinic for chest x Ray and blood test. I wear my own mask there. On the same day, Govt announced give 5m masks to everyone. My heart fell there and then when I heard the news..

Over that 3 days I could possibly be infected by all those around me in the clinic coughing and puffing. If the rhetoric is only sick need wear mask, shouldn't the first priority and SOP to make sure all those people in a clinic are wearing a mask? I really pity the docs who risk their live during this time. I was told that during that time each clinic only allocated 1 box a week? Instead the G distributed 5m masks to household, who may never even need to use it cos they are all healthy.

No one know how long this will last. Is it prudent and have they really done their sums when all these masks are distributed to everyone? I can only hope so and we will not suffer the consequence of this decision..

Have you recovered already?

Again, back of envelop calculation, we will need about approximately 825m masks for a usage of 5 months for 5.5m population.

Before this virus outbreak, a box of 50 masks costs $6. If the govt is making bulk purchase, I'm confident we can get it at $5 max, possibly less. This will equate $0.10 for a mask, or $82.5m over 5 years as the masks have useful life of 5 years, giving us $16.5m per year if we stagger our purchase over 5 years. This is only 0.1% of our 2019 MINDEF expenditure of $15bn.  

Or 1.9% of PMO annual budget at $872m.

For my NS post, I was trying to emphasize the importance of preparation. But IB logic is we don't need to prepare for a viral outbreak event since they don't happen regularly.

$16.5 million per year? That's peanuts and way cheaper than keeping the entire parliament in employment per year. 😁

Spend the money to buy public confidence? If I'm the PAP I'm definitely in. But I guess nobody assume this scenario prior. 

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

8 minutes ago, Mustank said:

If stockpile, should not sell to residents at $0

should sell at cost and to residents only 

but after this event, I think people will stock pile abit

Very good point bro. I missed that, and this should minimise our outlay even more (zero if at cost), so that the PA can organise more activities. Sorry couldn't resist that. 🙂

• Haha! 2