COVID-19 Outbreak: 313 Confirmed Cases in SG, 117 Discharged, 15 Critical (18 Mar)

Carbon82

15 minutes ago, Solar said:

My sister was told to station in HK for the next 3 weeks for work.. sian half.. 

Is surgical mask effective or N95?

Really sian half since hk protests situation still on-going and now happen this pneumonia thing in hk as well. Just be extra careful, wear mask and avoid crowded area unless no choice.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

I would say we need to remain vigilant, but NOT getting paranoid.

MOH advises all travellers to Wuhan to monitor their health closely and to seek medical attention promptly if they feel unwell, and to also inform their doctor of their travel history. Travellers and members of the public should adopt the following precautions at all times:

• Avoid contact with live animals including poultry and birds, and consumption of raw and undercooked meats;
  • Avoid close contact with people who are unwell or showing symptoms of illness;
  • Observe good personal hygiene;
  • Practise frequent hand washing with soap (e.g. before handling food or eating, after going to toilet, or when hands are dirtied by respiratory secretions after coughing or sneezing);
  • Wear a mask if you have respiratory symptoms such as a cough or runny nose;
  • Cover your mouth with a tissue paper when coughing or sneezing, and dispose the soiled tissue paper in the rubbish bin immediately; and
  • Seek medical attention promptly if you are feeling unwell.

There is no immediate need to restrict any outdoor activity for now. For those who are traveling to HK and China, if you are very concern with the potential of getting infected (chances is very slim at the moment), N95 mask is your best bet (surgical mask is not useful for protecting one from contagious diseases), and do remember to avoid as much physical contact with people, especially those who are unwell, as possible (our company practice no hand shaking during SARS in 2003).

I will share more of the precautionary measures when need arises.

• Praise 8

21 minutes ago, 13177 said:

Really sian half since hk protests situation still on-going and now happen this pneumonia thing in hk as well. Just be extra careful, wear mask and avoid crowded area unless no choice.

Where in HK is not crowded? 

My opinion is his sis shld reject the posting to Hk

22 minutes ago, Jusnel said:

think not so simple for employees leh.....

if HR is not proactive, then the company may have already decided the employee must go.

not all employees have the power to say no... wait they say :"we think we will employ someone who is willing to go where the company need them...."   

On 1/3/2020 at 1:33 PM, Carbon82 said:

Travellers arriving at Changi Airport from Wuhan to undergo temperature screening after pneumonia outbreak

yq-cparrival-02012020.jpg?itok=-7IOdkQe&

SINGAPORE - Travellers arriving from Wuhan in China will undergo temperature screening at Changi Airport from Friday evening (Jan 3), in light of a pneumonia outbreak in the Chinese region.

The Ministry of Health (MOH) said on Thursday evening it has told doctors to look out for suspected cases of people who returned recently from the area.

As a precaution, patients with fever and acute respiratory illness or pneumonia, who had travelled to Wuhan at least 14 days before the onset of their symptoms, will be isolated to prevent transmission, it added.

AFP had reported on Tuesday that China was investigating an outbreak of atypical pneumonia that is suspected of being linked to Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (Sars), the flu-like virus that killed 774 worldwide - including 33 in Singapore - during a 2003 outbreak.

The South China Morning Post newspaper said at least 27 infections had been reported as of Tuesday, most of whom were stallholders at a seafood market. It said that Hong Kong was on alert, with border screenings being set up.

At the time, AFP also quoted Wuhan’s health commission as saying that seven of the patients were in a critical condition, while the others were stable and two would be discharged soon.

According to the commission, initial lab tests found that there was no apparent human-to-human transmission and that no medical staff were infected.

As of Thursday, Chinese authorities could not confirm whether the pneumonia outbreak was linked to Sars. But MOH said it was aware of the cluster of severe pneumonia cases in the region and was monitoring the situation closely.

Suspected cases spotted by temperature screening at Changi Airport will be referred to hospitals for further assessment.

In addition, health advisory posters for all travellers will be put up at the airport, and a health advisory will be issued to all inbound travellers on flights from Wuhan.

As of 8.30pm on Thursday, MOH had not been notified of any suspected cases.

The ministry advised all travellers to Wuhan to monitor their health closely and seek medical attention promptly if they feel unwell, and to also inform their doctor of their travel history.

It added that travellers and members of the public should also adopt several precautions at all times, including avoiding contact with live animals and consumption of raw and undercooked meat, avoiding contact with people who are unwell or showing symptoms of illness, and practising frequent hand washing with soap.

As usual, reactive and selective response.

How about those from Wuhan who are on transit flights, who probably took a flight to KL and a SIA flight to SG?

2 minutes ago, Bystander50 said:

How about those from Wuhan who are on transit flights, who probably took a flight to KL and a SIA flight to SG?

Having involved with the SARS outbreak in 2003, it is not as easy as one can imagine. I am not taking side but until there are more information available about the virus strain, this is the most practical approach at current moment. 

In event that situations get worst (needs arises), MOH will implement more check and control measures for sure. Remember the health declaration form everyone need to fill in upon arrival in Singapore, and visiting companies on our sunny island? Mandatory self temperature check and daily updates from MOH? 

Being there done that. 🙂

• Praise 8

Turbocharged
4 hours ago, Jusnel said:

Last night fly already... Just texted her to be careful.. 🙏

Turbocharged
1 hour ago, Bystander50 said:

Actually.. it's very difficult... like what about China tourists coming in via land in Starex MPV from Boleh land? Not sure if our Customs have such protocol to deal with entries there.

A piece of good news for now. Singapore 1st suspected case is a False Alarm. 🙂

The girl is down with common virus, nothing to do with the new strain from Wuhan.

3-year-old girl with pneumonia and travel history to Wuhan is not linked to outbreak in China: MOH

yq-wh3-05012020.jpg?itok=as-9Hobc&timest

SINGAPORE - Tests have found that the first suspected case of the mystery Wuhan virus, involving a three-year-old girl from China, is not linked to the pneumonia cluster in Wuhan, the Ministry of Health (MOH) said on Sunday (Jan 5).

The case has also tested negative for SARS and MERS-CoV. The child's pneumonia is caused by respiratory syncytial virus, a common cause of childhood respiratory infection.

MOH said in the statement: "Epidemiological investigations, clinical assessment and laboratory test results from the suspect case reported on 4 January 2020 involving a 3-year-old female Chinese national with pneumonia and travel history to Wuhan have found that the case is not linked to the pneumonia cluster in Wuhan."

There are no new suspected cases as of 3pm on Sunday, MOH added.

• Praise 11

Yes, this is indeed good news.

And it is good to be kiasu and do all the screening and isolation early then too late. 

• Praise 3

18 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

Having involved with the SARS outbreak in 2003, it is not as easy as one can imagine. I am not taking side but until there are more information available about the virus strain, this is the most practical approach at current moment. 

In event that situations get worst (needs arises), MOH will implement more check and control measures for sure. Remember the health declaration form everyone need to fill in upon arrival in Singapore, and visiting companies on our sunny island? Mandatory self temperature check and daily updates from MOH? 

Being there done that. 🙂

On the front dealing with bloody situation?

I got battle star as well.

Scary. Lost. Disheartened. Recollect why. Continue.

Some people had to quit because their family members threatened suicide if they went to work. Quit on the spot most unwillingly.

Btw if a major incident were to happen, the inheritors might be looking at 70 or more percent performance.

Bad situations are great for erections.

I am just saying...

Edited by Datsun366
  • Praise 1

21 hours ago, Datsun366 said:

On the front dealing with bloody situation?

I got battle star as well.

Scary. Lost. Disheartened. Recollect why. Continue.

Some people had to quit because their family members threatened suicide if they went to work. Quit on the spot most unwillingly.

Btw if a major incident were to happen, the inheritors might be looking at 70 or more percent performance.

Bad situations are great for erections.

I am just saying...

More on policies and planning. I am working for a private organization actually but as we are one of those larger employers in Singapore, was invited to participate in a committee led by MOH to map out action plans for dealing with the pandemic. With new cases and information surfacing every other day, we have to churn these pieces and bits into the most appropriate plan(s) for the many companies out there, an experience money cannot buy...

My closest front line experience was having to visit quarantined employee (they are new employee we hired from China and as situation was not getting any better, we decided to quarantine them for 14 days upon their arrival in Singapore - we should be the very first company in Singapore to take this extreme approach before MOM adopt the same practice). Beside getting them to perform temperature check on their own, we have to conduct random visit to each individual (there were about 120 of them) to physically check if they develop any sign and symptom of SARS. On full 24 hours standby, activating ambulance to send suspected employee to CDC, N95 mask, surgical gloves, disinfectant, medical use wet wipe, etc. etc. laying all around in my offices and car... I even have to tell my wife not to get worried if I need to be quarantined...

The fear is hard to imagine for those who never get this close (I have to admit mine is still very far from those real front line staff like medical staffs). But the episode left me with a deep impression and a more critical thinking mind.

• Praise 8
  • Shocked 1

On 1/5/2020 at 3:17 PM, Bystander50 said:

Most likely u will kenna scan once off the plane

On 1/5/2020 at 11:40 AM, 13177 said:

wear mask might get mistaken as protester and kanna whack? 

• Haha! 2

Turbocharged

Just got back from Wuhan and then saw the news, observe myself for a while. Lucky that day I thot I got a little flu and took some vitamins water and it was all well again. 

So far so good, people not kan cheong at all. Just go by the book and be alert.

8 minutes ago, Arogab said:

Just got back from Wuhan and then saw the news, observe myself for a while. Lucky that day I thot I got a little flu and took some vitamins water and it was all well again. 

So far so good, people not kan cheong at all. Just go by the book and be alert.

Maybe need to monitor your health for about 14 days? If nothing means clear liao.

↡ Advertisement