COVID-19 Outbreak: 313 Confirmed Cases in SG, 117 Discharged, 15 Critical (18 Mar)

Carbon82

Turbocharged
21 minutes ago, 13177 said:

Maybe need to monitor your health for about 14 days? If nothing means clear liao.

Yeah, I was there on Christmas Day. Thus, the thinking of having flu happened last week and I have not been sick. Unless I am getting sick these 2 days. Or I am cleared. Haha

↡ Advertisement

3 minutes ago, Arogab said:

Yeah, I was there on Christmas Day. Thus, the thinking of having flu happened last week and I have not been sick. Unless I am getting sick these 2 days. Or I am cleared. Haha

Just a precaution only lo, no need to worry so much even been to wuhan. Lol.

6 minutes ago, Arogab said:

is 14 days incubation period for SARS?

If it isn't SARS, could have a different incubation period.

50 minutes ago, Arogab said:

Just got back from Wuhan and then saw the news, observe myself for a while. Lucky that day I thot I got a little flu and took some vitamins water and it was all well again. 

So far so good, people not kan cheong at all. Just go by the book and be alert.

Err, as an added measure, I think you better quarantine yourself and don't visit MCF for the next 14 days... :grin::grin:

Joking with you pal.[:p] Good that you are back safe and sound.[nod] Actually there is nothing to much to worry for now since personnel affected are mainly those who has visited the Huanan Seafood Market, and also there is not sign of human-to-human transmission so far. Just remain vigilant and observe healthy lifestyle.[sunny]

Wuhan virus outbreak: China grapples with mystery pneumonia-like illness

nz_hkia_070120.jpg?itok=OX3gswOO&timesta

BEIJING (NYTIMES) - For days, Li Bin had what felt like a cold, with a high fever of between 38.8 deg C and 40 deg C, and he could not understand why he wasn't getting better.

After four days, he went to a hospital, and a doctor told him he had a form of viral pneumonia, without offering specifics. Mr Li, 42, was hospitalised, then transferred to another facility and quarantined with other patients who had similarly unexplained symptoms.

He is one of 59 people in the central Chinese city of Wuhan who have been sickened by a pneumonia-like illness, the cause of which is unclear.

The cases have alarmed Chinese officials, who are racing to unravel the mystery behind them in a region where the memory of an outbreak of the dangerous respiratory disease known as Sars remains fresh.

Sars, or severe acute respiratory syndrome, originated in China and killed more than 800 people worldwide in 2002 and 2003. At the time, the Chinese government tried to cover up the problem, which is exacerbating fear now about this new illness.

Symptoms of the new illness include high fever, difficulty breathing and lung lesions, the Wuhan health commission has said. No deaths have been reported but seven people are critically ill.

On Sunday (Jan 5), the city government said they had ruled out as causes Sars, Middle East respiratory syndrome (Mers), bird flu and the adenovirus.

The illness appeared just weeks before the Spring Festival, the country's biggest holiday, when tens of millions of people travel. The authorities urged the public to be on alert for pneumonia-like symptoms like fever, body aches and breathing difficulties.

Workers wearing hazmat suits disinfected and shut down the Huanan Seafood Market in Wuhan, which also sold poultry, pheasants and wild animal meats, after the city health department said it traced many of the cases to it.

Viruses that caused Sars and the H7N9 strain of bird flu in humans were first detected in markets that sold animals and experts have said contact with infected animals was the likeliest source of transmission.

Health authorities around the region have responded quickly. In Hong Kong, 21 people who had visited Wuhan in recent weeks were hospitalised between Dec 31 and noon on Monday, according to that city's health department.

Officials said they would install additional thermal imaging systems at the international airport to monitor passengers coming from Wuhan; they also added staff at the high speed rail station to check body temperatures.

The authorities in Singapore placed a Chinese girl with pneumonia in isolation because she had travelled to Wuhan, then said on Sunday that doctors had found that the child had a common childhood viral illness.

Chinese health officials at first appeared to be closely guarding information about the illness. The Wuhan government confirmed on Dec 31 that health authorities were treating dozens of cases of pneumonia of unknown cause only after an emergency notice to city hospitals was shared on social media sites a day earlier, apparently triggering some public panic.

But more recently, the government appeared to be moving more quickly to disclose information about new cases, in a sign that it has learnt its lesson from Sars, said Professor Leo Poon, a public health expert at the University of Hong Kong.

"I have to emphasise this is a new disease, and no one on earth has gone through this before," he said.

Prof Poon said a surge in cases in the coming week would suggest either that the source of the virus had not been eradicated despite the shutdown of the market or that the illness could be transmitted between humans.

"I hope this pathogen is a less harmful one so it would not cause a major epidemic similar to Sars," he said. "It would be a nightmare for all of us."

Dr Wang Linfa, an expert on emerging infectious diseases at the Duke-NUS Medical School in Singapore, said he was frustrated that scientists in China were not allowed to speak to him about the outbreak.

He said, however, that he thought the virus was likely not spreading from humans to humans because health workers had not contracted the disease. "We should not go into panic mode," he said.

The World Health Organisation said it was closely monitoring the situation and was prepared to mount a broader response, if needed.

In Hong Kong, residents raced to stockpile surgical masks. On Monday, employees at several pharmacies and convenience stores said they had sold out by lunch time. Watsons, a major chain owned by the family of Hong Kong tycoon Li Ka Shing, said sales for masks and hand sanitisers increased significantly this week compared with last week.

The Hong Kong government on Saturday also introduced a new response system for "novel infectious diseases", citing a desire to avoid repeats of the Sars epidemic or the 2009 swine flu outbreak.

In response to the Wuhan cases, the government declared a "serious" response level, the middle tier of the new system, which officials said signalled a "moderate" risk to the local population.

In Wuhan, Mr Li, who works for a hotel restaurant, was one of the first patients to fall ill. He came down with a fever on Dec 23, after visiting the Huanan Seafood Market.

"It felt like a common cold," he said by telephone. He has since recovered and is set to go home in the next two days. None of his other family members have become sick, according to his wife.

The authorities have acted swiftly to clamp down on discussion about the outbreak. Censors blocked the hashtag #WuhanSARS. The police said they were investigating eight people in Wuhan for "spreading rumours" online about the disease, an announcement that was met with anger on Sina Weibo, one of China's most popular social media sites.

"I don't have the right to speak and I don't even know the truth," one user wrote. "Don't I have the right to panic and save myself?"

• Praise 5

Turbocharged
5 minutes ago, Kusje said:

is 14 days incubation period for SARS?

If it isn't SARS, could have a different incubation period.

Haha, maybe all the alcohol that I drink already killed the virus liao

• Haha! 1

Turbocharged
3 minutes ago, Carbon82 said:

Err, as an added measure, I think you better quarantine yourself and don't visit MCF for the next 14 days... :grin::grin:

Joking with you pal.[:p] Good that you are back safe and sound.[nod] Actually there is nothing to much to worry for now since personnel affected are mainly those who has visited the Huanan Seafood Market, and also there is not sign of human-to-human transmission so far. Just remain vigilant and observe healthy lifestyle.[sunny]

Wuhan virus outbreak: China grapples with mystery pneumonia-like illness

nz_hkia_070120.jpg?itok=OX3gswOO&timesta

BEIJING (NYTIMES) - For days, Li Bin had what felt like a cold, with a high fever of between 38.8 deg C and 40 deg C, and he could not understand why he wasn't getting better.

After four days, he went to a hospital, and a doctor told him he had a form of viral pneumonia, without offering specifics. Mr Li, 42, was hospitalised, then transferred to another facility and quarantined with other patients who had similarly unexplained symptoms.

He is one of 59 people in the central Chinese city of Wuhan who have been sickened by a pneumonia-like illness, the cause of which is unclear.

The cases have alarmed Chinese officials, who are racing to unravel the mystery behind them in a region where the memory of an outbreak of the dangerous respiratory disease known as Sars remains fresh.

Sars, or severe acute respiratory syndrome, originated in China and killed more than 800 people worldwide in 2002 and 2003. At the time, the Chinese government tried to cover up the problem, which is exacerbating fear now about this new illness.

Symptoms of the new illness include high fever, difficulty breathing and lung lesions, the Wuhan health commission has said. No deaths have been reported but seven people are critically ill.

On Sunday (Jan 5), the city government said they had ruled out as causes Sars, Middle East respiratory syndrome (Mers), bird flu and the adenovirus.

The illness appeared just weeks before the Spring Festival, the country's biggest holiday, when tens of millions of people travel. The authorities urged the public to be on alert for pneumonia-like symptoms like fever, body aches and breathing difficulties.

Workers wearing hazmat suits disinfected and shut down the Huanan Seafood Market in Wuhan, which also sold poultry, pheasants and wild animal meats, after the city health department said it traced many of the cases to it.

Viruses that caused Sars and the H7N9 strain of bird flu in humans were first detected in markets that sold animals and experts have said contact with infected animals was the likeliest source of transmission.

Health authorities around the region have responded quickly. In Hong Kong, 21 people who had visited Wuhan in recent weeks were hospitalised between Dec 31 and noon on Monday, according to that city's health department.

Officials said they would install additional thermal imaging systems at the international airport to monitor passengers coming from Wuhan; they also added staff at the high speed rail station to check body temperatures.

The authorities in Singapore placed a Chinese girl with pneumonia in isolation because she had travelled to Wuhan, then said on Sunday that doctors had found that the child had a common childhood viral illness.

Chinese health officials at first appeared to be closely guarding information about the illness. The Wuhan government confirmed on Dec 31 that health authorities were treating dozens of cases of pneumonia of unknown cause only after an emergency notice to city hospitals was shared on social media sites a day earlier, apparently triggering some public panic.

But more recently, the government appeared to be moving more quickly to disclose information about new cases, in a sign that it has learnt its lesson from Sars, said Professor Leo Poon, a public health expert at the University of Hong Kong.

"I have to emphasise this is a new disease, and no one on earth has gone through this before," he said.

Prof Poon said a surge in cases in the coming week would suggest either that the source of the virus had not been eradicated despite the shutdown of the market or that the illness could be transmitted between humans.

"I hope this pathogen is a less harmful one so it would not cause a major epidemic similar to Sars," he said. "It would be a nightmare for all of us."

Dr Wang Linfa, an expert on emerging infectious diseases at the Duke-NUS Medical School in Singapore, said he was frustrated that scientists in China were not allowed to speak to him about the outbreak.

He said, however, that he thought the virus was likely not spreading from humans to humans because health workers had not contracted the disease. "We should not go into panic mode," he said.

The World Health Organisation said it was closely monitoring the situation and was prepared to mount a broader response, if needed.

In Hong Kong, residents raced to stockpile surgical masks. On Monday, employees at several pharmacies and convenience stores said they had sold out by lunch time. Watsons, a major chain owned by the family of Hong Kong tycoon Li Ka Shing, said sales for masks and hand sanitisers increased significantly this week compared with last week.

The Hong Kong government on Saturday also introduced a new response system for "novel infectious diseases", citing a desire to avoid repeats of the Sars epidemic or the 2009 swine flu outbreak.

In response to the Wuhan cases, the government declared a "serious" response level, the middle tier of the new system, which officials said signalled a "moderate" risk to the local population.

In Wuhan, Mr Li, who works for a hotel restaurant, was one of the first patients to fall ill. He came down with a fever on Dec 23, after visiting the Huanan Seafood Market.

"It felt like a common cold," he said by telephone. He has since recovered and is set to go home in the next two days. None of his other family members have become sick, according to his wife.

The authorities have acted swiftly to clamp down on discussion about the outbreak. Censors blocked the hashtag #WuhanSARS. The police said they were investigating eight people in Wuhan for "spreading rumours" online about the disease, an announcement that was met with anger on Sina Weibo, one of China's most popular social media sites.

"I don't have the right to speak and I don't even know the truth," one user wrote. "Don't I have the right to panic and save myself?"

Like I say, I not worried at all as even the Chinese are not worried. They just think SARs and now compare is nothing. 

And this is something the Chinese should be worried as they not scared die. Anyway, if this is spreading, I would have seen it. Hehe

• Praise 1

13 minutes ago, Arogab said:

Like I say, I not worried at all as even the Chinese are not worried. They just think SARs and now compare is nothing. 

And this is something the Chinese should be worried as they not scared die. Anyway, if this is spreading, I would have seen it. Hehe

how to know when to be scared if there is a coverup? (not sayuing there is )

Turbocharged
16 hours ago, Kusje said:

how to know when to be scared if there is a coverup? (not sayuing there is )

Haha, in the past can cover up easily but not these days

32 minutes ago, Arogab said:

Nowadays so much news spread so fast with HPs and internet lah 

Not in China.

By the way, there is a new law in China related to password and setting up of Office of State Commercial Cryptography Administration

Edited by inlinesix

Still find it amazing the thing seem to go direct to HK and sg... skipping ALLLL the countless millions people and places in between. 

If realllyyyyy no cover up...

My conclusion is eating Mala steamboat gives immunity to prc.. MOH Must set up compulsory mala steamboat treatment. 

Or...

Our doctors all anyhow give MC...

• Haha! 1

WHO Statement Regarding Cluster of Pneumonia Cases in Wuhan, China

World_Health_Organization_logo_logotype.

Chinese authorities have made a preliminary determination of a novel (or new) coronavirus, identified in a hospitalized person with pneumonia in Wuhan. Chinese investigators conducted gene sequencing of the virus, using an isolate from one positive patient sample. Preliminary identification of a novel virus in a short period of time is a notable achievement and demonstrates China’s increased capacity to manage new outbreaks.

Initial information about the cases of pneumonia in Wuhan provided by Chinese authorities last week – including the occupation, location and symptom profile of the people affected – pointed to a coronavirus (CoV) as a possible pathogen causing this cluster. Chinese authorities subsequently reported that laboratory tests ruled out SARS-CoV, MERS-CoV, influenza, avian influenza, adenovirus and other common respiratory pathogens.

Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses with some causing less-severe disease, such as the common cold, and others more severe disease such as MERS and SARS. Some transmit easily from person to person, while others do not. According to Chinese authorities, the virus in question can cause severe illness in some patients and does not transmit readily between people.

Globally, novel coronaviruses emerge periodically in different areas, including SARS in 2002 and MERS in 2012. Several known coronaviruses are circulating in animals that have not yet infected humans. As surveillance improves more coronaviruses are likely to be identified.

China has strong public health capacities and resources to respond and manage respiratory disease outbreaks. In addition to treating the patients in care and isolating new cases as they may be identified, public health officials remain focused on continued contact tracing, conducting environmental assessments at the seafood market, and investigations to identify the pathogen causing the outbreak.

In the coming weeks, more comprehensive information is required to understand the current status and epidemiology of the outbreak, and the clinical picture. Further investigations are also required to determine the source, modes of transmission, extent of infection and countermeasures implemented. WHO continues to monitor the situation closely and, together with its partners, is ready to provide technical support to China to investigate and respond to this outbreak.

The preliminary determination of a novel virus will assist authorities in other countries to conduct disease detection and response. Over the past week, people with symptoms of pneumonia and reported travel history to Wuhan have been identified at international airports.

WHO does not recommend any specific measures for travellers. WHO advises against the application of any travel or trade restrictions on China based on the information currently available.

Media Contacts
Paige Snider

External Relations and Communication
World Health Organization

Telephone: +86 10 6532 7190 Extension. 81262
Email: [email protected]

• Praise 5

Ministry of Health, Singapore 
1200px-MOH_Logo.svg.png

[Update on local situation regarding severe pneumonia cluster in Wuhan]

As of 10am, 10 January 2020, the Ministry of Health has been notified of a 26 year-old male Chinese national with pneumonia, who had travel history to Wuhan. He has been admitted for further assessment and treatment, and isolated as a precautionary measure. His condition is stable.

The suspect case has not visited the Huanan seafood wholesale market associated with the cluster of pneumonia in Wuhan.

Investigations to establish whether the suspect case is linked to the Wuhan pneumonia cluster are ongoing.

• Praise 5

WHO does not recommend any specific measures for travellers. WHO advises against the application of any travel or trade restrictions on China based on the information currently available.

Edited by inlinesix