Motorist seeks court order to renew 5-year COE

andrewyewkc

If do away with 5 year COE renewal people will complain why no 5 year COE?

I want to drive my car for 15 years only.

If have 5 year COE people will complain why cannot renew another 5 years?

:grin:

So hard to be in gov.

I don't want to be in that kind of job even if they pay me millions.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 4

1 hour ago, Icedbs said:

It would have been illogical if PQP goes up and the owner request for the PQP that is 5 years ago. If this can happen, nobody would want to renew 10 years.

But the law should allow the 5 years owner a choice to renew at the PQP rate at the end of the 5 years. If the PQP is lower than 5 years ago, then good for the owner. If higher, then the owner should just pay for it or scrap the car. Sometimes people may not have enough money to pay 10 years one shot, but wants to see how is their income level after 5 years to decide again. It actually encourages financial prudence  among car owners.

What you said makes sense but LTA wont care about those who have no money, otherwise there wouldn't be COE  in the first place. 

• Haha! 2

16 hours ago, Mkl22 said:

Very curious as to what car it is, to make some one behave so irrationally. 

Chery QQ?

15 hours ago, Icedbs said:

That's true.....I also want to know why those renew 10 years can have a choice to continue to renew but those renew 5 years can only do so once.

Maybe the LTA scholars can sexplain. 😁

52 minutes ago, Eyke said:

to encourage you to get rid of your "old" car based on rationale that newer cars are less pollutive, safer, etc

Then why allow COE renewal outside the classic scheme? 

Gahmen's justifications also full of holes. I'm beginning to support this guy's bravado in taking them on. Hopefully, he can expose more of their nonsense.

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 5
  • Haha! 1

Twincharged
3 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

Gahmen's justifications also full of holes. I'm beginning to support this guy's bravado in taking them on. Hopefully, he can expose more of their nonsense.

Cause ministers and the people in their social circle like to keep old cars like Porsche Mercedes and such. How to prevent the rich from keeping their toys! So can only encourage but cannot ban. 
PMDs on the other hand...... problems of the lower caste in society. 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

4 hours ago, Chongster said:

No doubt laws should remain current, But that is the parliament’s prerogative.  

......and the Parliament is made up of elected representatives of the people. And when the people raise feedback, it is the responsibility of the government to look into it and give debate whether to change the law (or otherwise).

Its high time that we the people be more critical and participative in laws and regulations that matter to us, than sit and assume that the G will take care of us for our best interests. 

In any case, the People's Hero Koh isn't even seeking to profiteer from the today's lower PQP as he is requesting to convert his Nov 2014 5 year COE to a Nov 2014 10 year COE (even though the PQP in Nov 2019 is about half that of 2014). If LTA can construct such a complicated taxation system of OMV, PARF, COE and tiered scrap rebates, and more recently add on CEVS, I am sure they can figure out something that is much less archaic than simply condemning perfectly good cars to deregistration just because of the COE renewal scheme it is on. 

While on that note. Someone needs to ask LTA to explain why it costs $100 to transfer an existing number plate to a new car, yet it takes $1300 to transfer an existing number plate to a used car. Really need 13 times the effort meh?

• Praise 6

1 hour ago, Turboflat4 said:

Classic and vintage car schemes both require the vehicle to be at least X years old.  Why stop people from keeping old cars in their garage so long as they are not clogging up our roads? 

42 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

Classic and vintage car schemes both require the vehicle to be at least X years old.  Why stop people from keeping old cars in their garage so long as they are not clogging up our roads? 

I agree with keeping cars for longer. I am against a lot of what the gahmen dictates with regard to car ownership and running. Which is why I think they deserve the challenge.

• Praise 3

Keeping old cars is really the best for the planet.

Scrapping 10 year old cars is really a waste.

In Malaysia I see 30 and 40 year old cars and going well.

40 year old cars never break down on the road.

If they kept breaking down the owner would have scrapped them years ago. 

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

Twincharged
16 minutes ago, Jamesc said:

Keeping old cars is really the best for the planet.

Scrapping 10 year old cars is really a waste.

In Malaysia I see 30 and 40 year old cars and going well.

40 year old cars never break down on the road.

If they kept breaking down the owner would have scrapped them years ago. 

With old cars, LTA only earns that 50% more in roadtax. The rest is more $$ spend on repairs at the workshops, which the govt doesn’t get much except via gst. 
With a new car, IRAS makes 7% in GST, customs 20%, LTA 100% ARF, new IU, registration fee. Then the multiplier effect in GST from dealer profits, leather seats, solar films etc. 

always has been about the money. 

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 3
  • Haha! 3

7 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

With old cars, LTA only earns that 50% more in roadtax. The rest is more $$ spend on repairs at the workshops, which the govt doesn’t get much except via gst. 
With a new car, IRAS makes 7% in GST, customs 20%, LTA 100% ARF, new IU, registration fee. Then the multiplier effect in GST from dealer profits, leather seats, solar films etc. 

always has been about the money. 

Haha no lah, then they should not allow 10 year renewal, the longer peiord people renew COE  the more they will lose. but you are absolutely  correct that they lose out a lot when  people renew their COE.

3 hours ago, Jamesc said:

So hard to be in gov.

I also very hard life not but I have no 1 mil, give me 1 mil and I will take the hard life of government.😄😄

• Haha! 3

Twincharged
2 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

Haha no lah, then they should not allow 10 year renewal, the longer peiord people renew COE  the more they will lose. but you are absolutely  correct that they lose out a lot when  people renew their COE.

Must allow coe renewal la. Else how the Porsche and Ferrari and mercs of the rich stay on. They will get very cross. 

• Haha! 1

Neutral Newbie

The logic for 5 year can't renew again is last time only can renew 10 years, then people complain only drive for 5 years why must renew 10 years then rebate back, too much outlay and govt earn the interest, so govt say "OK lor, just for you allow 5 years, and can't renew again since you say you only want 5 years". Everyone knows this rule that 5 year is only one time, this guy don't know? Everything has rules, you want to play the game, you follow the rules. 

• Praise 1

35 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

I also very hard life not but I have no 1 mil, give me 1 mil and I will take the hard life of government.😄😄

1 million no problem.

But can you the take all the criticism?

Every body every thing not happy will blame you.

The slightest thing that goes wrong and people not happy will be

"all your fault."

3 hours ago, Jamesc said:

So hard to be in gov.

should do away with 5 years coe 

new or renewed ... all 10 years coe

if the owner want to scrap the car 1/2 way can always get back the remaining 5 years coe $$$

the only lost is paid upfront where the money can be better used

but buying a car in spore is already made known as ROBERT. so no different!

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

I also wanna renew my 5 year COE if can. That time bought the car not sure how long I waana drive the old car. I may find another of the same model and continue the drive.

Win or not hope this guy stir something, just like the no cat in hdb rule. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1