Motorist seeks court order to renew 5-year COE

andrewyewkc

wah later ah gong angry .... change to 5-year coe instead

anyway all the richie rich motorists in sg usually keep their cars for 5 years or less and would quickly dispose off after warranty right?

🤭🤣

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1

19 hours ago, Turboflat4 said:

For all you know, this may motivate LTA to "review" things and "decide" to do away with 5 year renewals entirely.

Actually, to me a more pressing question would be: why is PARF completely lost on renewal? Why not just continue PARF attrition on the same schedule as for the first 10 years of vehicular life?

What's wrong with collecting more money?

• Haha! 3

23 minutes ago, Kusje said:

What's wrong with collecting more money?

this strategy is 100% foolproof to solve every problem every issue in spore

• Praise 1

3 hours ago, Jamesc said:

No point having all the money in the world

if we don't have a planet to spend the money on.

:grin:

Your MIL will know how and where to spent it .... :secret-laugh:

Edited by Picnic06-Biante15
  • Haha! 3

6 hours ago, Turboflat4 said:

Then why allow COE renewal outside the classic scheme? 

Gahmen's justifications also full of holes. I'm beginning to support this guy's bravado in taking them on. Hopefully, he can expose more of their nonsense.

Agreed. Rules need to be adaptive and should not stay stagnant. While it might be valid in the context of those times, it should not be view at perpetually valid. I also hope to see some reviews of the long and old practices of 10% service charge and 3/4 petrol rule. 

• Praise 4

Supercharged
22 hours ago, Macrosszero said:

Actually this 5 year non-renewal rule has no logic - its merely pro-rated to 50% of the 10 year PQP. The fact that he had initially accepted this condition at renewal should not affect judgement whether the rule makes sense.

Even if nothing else comes of it and he loses his request, he would have forced the LTA to explain their rationale for such an odd condition. 

rules are rules already set and transparently published.

Just like 18yo SG male go NS.

Fair or not is besides the point. Does anyone go court to challenge NS?

Like that can go court to challenge the election boundaries... fair or not?

On 1/3/2020 at 11:01 PM, Mkl22 said:

Very curious as to what car it is, to make some one behave so irrationally. 

I fully support this fella. No strong reason for LTA to keep this silly policy

If LTA prepared to allow COE extension for 10 yrs and another further 10 years and another 10 years after that, why must stop at 5 years? LTA onli interested in ppl paying money onli what. It's not about emissions, not about roadworthiness, not about car lite, etc.

If LTA scare ppl try luck when COE is high and renew 5 yrs first w the hope that COE drop 5 years later, it could also work the other way round i.e COE could be higher in 5 yrs time. So why so scare they lose out?

• Praise 5

Turbocharged
On 1/4/2020 at 1:14 AM, Turboflat4 said:

For all you know, this may motivate LTA to "review" things and "decide" to do away with 5 year renewals entirely.

Actually, to me a more pressing question would be: why is PARF completely lost on renewal? Why not just continue PARF attrition on the same schedule as for the first 10 years of vehicular life?

If continue, how to discourage people from keeping old car. If pple keep old car, lesser pple will buy new car, then lower tax n lower coe... No good for LTA :D

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

Turbocharged
1 hour ago, Soya said:

I fully support this fella. No strong reason for LTA to keep this silly policy

If LTA prepared to allow COE extension for 10 yrs and another further 10 years and another 10 years after that, why must stop at 5 years? LTA onli interested in ppl paying money onli what. It's not about emissions, not about roadworthiness, not about car lite, etc.

If LTA scare ppl try luck when COE is high and renew 5 yrs first w the hope that COE drop 5 years later, it could also work the other way round i.e COE could be higher in 5 yrs time. So why so scare they lose out?

Because collect 10yrs renewal more shiok than 5yrs mah. If u wanna take 5yrs, then lose all your parf with no more future renewal. LTA ftw!!! 

2 hours ago, Yeshe said:

If continue, how to discourage people from keeping old car. If pple keep old car, lesser pple will buy new car, then lower tax n lower coe... No good for LTA :D

Then they should stop using all the "green" slogans like "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle" like a hypocritical mantra. 😂

• Praise 2

They do allow 2 x 5 year COE for commercial vehicles upto max 20 years so it should be streamline for cars too ; of course goodS/commercial vehicle max allowed is 20 years but cars is no limit if on 10 year renewals but classic kicks in only at 35 years so I reckon last COE is to be for 40 years and on 35th year convert to classic scheme if not used as daily drive and collect back balance COE of normal car 

• Praise 3

Twincharged
9 minutes ago, BanCoe said:

They do allow 2 x 5 year COE for commercial vehicles upto max 20 years so it should be streamline for cars too ; of course goodS/commercial vehicle max allowed is 20 years but cars is no limit if on 10 year renewals but classic kicks in only at 35 years so I reckon last COE is to be for 40 years and on 35th year convert to classic scheme if not used as daily drive and collect back balance COE of normal car 

Originally only 10years. 5years never existed. Then people kpkb. 5years came, but no extension. Then commercial side kpkb, saying 10year coe Renewal tie up a lot of their capital. Ask for 5years with extension.
Now this guy trying luck to see if lta will allow it for cat A B and D. Since precedence was already set. 
might change the demand of coe and prices could change. 
statistically many more 5year coe are renewed vs 10. I’m sure lta can easily project if they make or lose money. Which is only damn thing they are good at. Projecting to squeeze the most money out of the motorist coe, arf, ERP is their only forte. 
Everything else that don’t earn money, screw up, Mrt, bus, roads infrastructure, PMDs, share bike. 

• Praise 1

48 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

Originally only 10years. 5years never existed. Then people kpkb. 5years came, but no extension. Then commercial side kpkb, saying 10year coe Renewal tie up a lot of their capital. Ask for 5years with extension.
Now this guy trying luck to see if lta will allow it for cat A B and D. Since precedence was already set. 
might change the demand of coe and prices could change. 
statistically many more 5year coe are renewed vs 10. I’m sure lta can easily project if they make or lose money. Which is only damn thing they are good at. Projecting to squeeze the most money out of the motorist coe, arf, ERP is their only forte. 
Everything else that don’t earn money, screw up, Mrt, bus, roads infrastructure, PMDs, share bike. 

All this in the name of curbing vehicles growth and allowing decent speeds on roads which is kinda true if you compare the traffic jams in majoe metro’s - KL/Bangkok/Jakarta in ASEAN alone ...... anyways I salute this guy lobbying ..... let’s see how it pans out ..... who knows it may even turn out to be an election issue 

Edited by BanCoe
  • Praise 4