Motorist seeks court order to renew 5-year COE

andrewyewkc

2 hours ago, Zxcvb said:

Want deterrent then pay FULL CASH ONLY!!! 

No need pay full cash la.

Just need to bid all cat (except open cat) via SingPass.

That will reduce lead time to buy car to 2 days.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

9 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

Forum: Does five-year COE renewal count towards overall quota?

rk_aye_070120.jpg?itok=jsyK0U6J&timestam

I read about Mr Koh Lin Yee, who is seeking a court order that will allow him to keep his car after his one-off five-year certificate of entitlement (COE) renewal expired (Motorist sues LTA over COE renewal, Jan 4).

A question that cropped up in my mind is whether a five-year COE renewal, which costs half that of a 10-year one, reduces the quota available for new cars that will each incur the cost of a 10-year COE. I hope the Land Transport Authority can shed light on this.

If a five-year COE counts towards the COE quota, this raises the question of why a half-price five-year COE is allowed to deprive a full-price 10-year COE for a new car of its existence.

Aside from the fact that there could be a form of "revenue leakage" of half of a 10-year COE each time a car's COE is renewed for only five years, another concern is whether a system in which both five-year and 10-year COEs count towards the same quota favours the incumbent car owner unfairly over a buyer of a new car, since the incumbent car owner needs only half the amount a new car buyer needs to secure a COE.

A five-year COE that counts towards the quota would defeat the purpose of a COE as an additional tax on car ownership, when that additional tax is only half the amount of the 10-year COE for a new car.

While the unused portion of a COE is refundable, which means that the ultimate cost of a COE could be less if the COE is cancelled sooner (which could happen if the car is scrapped or exported), the upfront cost of a COE is a deterrent, and halving the amount of a COE by allowing for five-year COEs is as good as halving the deterrent effect of the 10-year COE.

Janet Tan

source: https://www.straitstimes.com/forum/letters-in-print/does-five-year-coe-renewal-count-towards-overall-quota

I don't think this Janet know anything about our COE system. It is a zero sum game, every renewal be it 5 of 10 years would take away quota for new car, BUT once the COEd car was scrapped, the quota for the next quarter will increase accordingly.

In fact those on 5 year renewal might be doing some good to new car buyer in the next few years, since they provide more COE quota when  the COE drought occurs...

• Praise 12
  • Haha! 1

Internal Moderator
16 hours ago, RogerNg_185295 said:

He too much time and money to challenge the LTA.  Sure lose one

I wonder what is his lawyer thinking, how much should I milk from this guy. 🤭

• Haha! 1

On 1/31/2020 at 9:24 AM, Ody_2004 said:

what if his COE expired even before the trial/case finish? so LLST and lawyer laughing to the bank?

Lawyer and Judge will say " Thank you for your contribution towards nation building".

• Haha! 1

On 1/31/2020 at 9:24 AM, Ody_2004 said:

what if his COE expired even before the trial/case finish? so LLST and lawyer laughing to the bank?

coe expired at most he cant drive. but can park at home carpark?

1 hour ago, StreamRSZ said:

coe expired at most he cant drive. but can park at home carpark?

errrr... once his COE expired he need to fight another case leh.. current case is "Extending" wor.. he need to fight "Re-instate" COE? hee...

↡ Advertisement