Bak Kwas Worth Queuing Up For This CNY (2020)

kobayashiGT

16 hours ago, Lala81 said:

Both my families side, giving angbao is quite symbolic one. Angbao don't match inflation rate. Same as 20+ years ago [laugh]

look at it from another angle, 20+ years ago,  your relatives also  giving future ang pao rate.

Same as when people say you look young, like 20 yrs ago.... Meaning 20 yrs ago, I already looks old 😭

↡ Advertisement

Received from my elder sis. Its an annual CNY gift. My nephew or niece will be one queuing.👍

My favourite is the Gourmet type (fat fat)🤤 

I dun need to buy or want to buy during CNY. Can always eat outside of this festive period.

Free one is nice lor.😂

Safe ride

Cheers 

20200114_115540_resize_97.jpg

20200114_115344_resize_46.jpg

• Praise 8

34 minutes ago, PSP415 said:

Received from my elder sis. Its an annual CNY gift. My nephew or niece will be one queuing.👍

I dun need to buy or want to buy during CNY. Can always eat outside of this festive period.

Free one is nice lor.😂

Safe ride

Cheers 

No need to buy de, unless you want to give away as gifts. Just go to any house visiting sure have bak kwa. Lol.

40 minutes ago, Carbon82 said:

Wife colleague Q >4hr for this... 

My helper queued approximately 6 hours for this yesterday. From 8.30am to 2.30pm. And 1 person can only buy 500g of the pineapple variety, which is what they are known for. Their standard bak kwa so so only I think.

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 2

On 1/4/2020 at 10:29 PM, Lala81 said:

The people in this thread all very funny. Bak kwa can eat all year round. 

Yeah lah. Turkey also can eat all year round mah. Then why eat turkey for Xmas for angmohs. 

Xmas Carol also can sing everyday. Lion dance also can do everyday. U can tell everyone 恭喜发财 everyday of the year also. 

The fact that many of u don't buy, but will eat it when go visiting... 

When u make something that involves the festive mood common all year round, guess what? what happens is the gradual dilution of the festivities. Of course to some extent, some excesses should be avoided like incredible wastage of food or gluttony and to savour the family bonding element. 

But many myraid small things are what makes a festival a festival. If u take out all the tradition, the small bits and pieces that make up a unique holiday or festival, the Chinese New year is just another day on the calender. 

You may think it's all nothing, and it probably is to most part, but actually its having an effect of  making the next generation can't be bothered with cny anymore. 

While over the years, my family had discarded many of the things we used to do. But all these little things still make cny the real 新年 for me. So simple traditions and even simple stuff like going shopping for decorations or new year goodies will bring forth the tradition to the next generation. Of course we can set the tone and make only sensible choices. 

The power of tradition is something underestimated in giving lives structure, identity and meaning (in sometimes subtle ways), especially as the world becomes more complex and more things compete for your attention.

True.

• Praise 1

On 1/14/2020 at 12:21 PM, PSP415 said:

Free one is nice lor.😂

Safe ride

Cheers 

20200114_115344_resize_46.jpg

Wow!  So good of your sister!  

My neighbour also good, every year he will give us ba kwa too.   But is sliced pork, too hard for me.  I prefer minced pork. 😀

I think Mei zhen xiang no need to q de.  They have a order form, order dun know how many packets got free delivery.

• Praise 2

1 hour ago, Dleodleo said:

My neighbour also good, every year he will give us ba kwa too.   But is sliced pork, too hard for me.  I prefer minced pork. 😀

I think Mei zhen xiang no need to q de.  They have a order form, order dun know how many packets got free delivery.

Sorry, just my opinion only but I don't fancy Mei Zhen Xiang Bak Kwa and worse still is the minced pork version as I feel it mixes other parts besides meat itself but to each his own I guess. I suppose minced pork will always have its share of the market for those who prefer softer Bak Kwa. 

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 4

2 hours ago, Weez911 said:

My helper queued approximately 6 hours for this yesterday. From 8.30am to 2.30pm. And 1 person can only buy 500g of the pineapple variety, which is what they are known for. Their standard bak kwa so so only I think.

Queue for 6 hours? [dizzy] And only can buy 500g? [sweatdrop] Like got stuck at woodlands custom for 6 hours siah! I rather eat during normal days.

• Praise 2

2 minutes ago, 13177 said:

Queue for 6 hours? [dizzy] And only can buy 500g? [sweatdrop] Like got stuck at woodlands custom for 6 hours siah! I rather eat during normal days.

I think the 500g is worth it, but not the 2.5kg of standard flavor (each person can buy total of 3kg - 2.5kg of standard and 500g of pineapple).

• Haha! 1

15 minutes ago, Spring said:

Sorry, just my opinion only but I don't fancy Mei Zhen Xiang Bak Kwa and worse still is the minced pork version as I feel it mixes other parts besides meat itself but to each his own I guess. I suppose minced pork will always have its share of the market for those who prefer softer Bak Kwa. 

Oic.   😄

Actually I also dun really fancy Mei Zhen Xiang cos I find them salty.  I prefer frangance and another bwa kua shop in people park hawker centre.  Their chilly bwa kua is nice.

Edited by Dleodleo
  • Praise 3
  • Haha! 1

6 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

For BCH bk I usually steam it to let it perspire and soften then go with bread or rice. Maciam lup chiong 😆

👍

Me will toast it and giap with bread. Tasty, hot and slightly crispy. Machiam BK sandwich.

TGIF. Safe ride 

Cheers 

• Praise 6

Bak kwa with porridge is heavenly comfort food when u are sick.

In fact, it's even better than eating bak kwa itself. haha [flowerface]

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, Dleodleo said:

Yes, a good sister. Always been there for us, the younger ones and she is the one who cultivated my love for reading from a young age. 

Have a great weekend and keep well.

Safe ride

Cheers

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4