Bak Kwas Worth Queuing Up For This CNY (2020)

kobayashiGT

3 hours ago, Weez911 said:

My helper queued approximately 6 hours for this yesterday. From 8.30am to 2.30pm. And 1 person can only buy 500g of the pineapple variety, which is what they are known for. Their standard bak kwa so so only I think.

Fwah. Me queuing 45mins to place an order seems paltry haha. Though probably need to wait today during collection.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

15 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Fwah. Me queuing 45mins to place an order seems paltry haha. Though probably need to wait today during collection.

If I'm allowed to be totally honest despite my whining on the queue, I do think that 500g pineapple bak kwa is the best in Singapore. It's thick, juicy and most importantly, the pineapple enhances the flavour. I find the Lim Chee Guan version a bit dry and too chewy.

To each his own.

Edited by Weez911
  • Praise 4

31 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

You guys have great patience for food. I usually would give up if no movement in two minutes.

I've only queued once for LZY bk at Chinatown with frens. That was decades ago for 30 mins wait...

• Praise 2

22 minutes ago, Weez911 said:

If I'm allowed to be totally honest despite my whining on the queue, I do think that 500g pineapple bak kwa is the best in Singapore. It's thick, juicy and most importantly, the pineapple enhances the flavour. I find the Lim Chee Guan version a bit dry and too chewy.

To each his own.

I've not tried this pineapple one before. But the queue is too daunting. lol

kaki jiak ho jiak most important [:p] 

who cares what others think lol

I mentioned before that LCG should only eat when not during CNY. The quality changes a lot due to the peak demand. Regular times eat LCG, actually it's nice to me.

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 3

4 hours ago, Weez911 said:

My helper queued approximately 6 hours for this yesterday. From 8.30am to 2.30pm. And 1 person can only buy 500g of the pineapple variety, which is what they are known for. Their standard bak kwa so so only I think.

Your helper high tide how? 😰

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 3

1 hour ago, Lala81 said:

Bak kwa with porridge is heavenly comfort food when u are sick.

In fact, it's even better than eating bak kwa itself. haha [flowerface]

Sick still can eat bak kwa? Bak kwa is so heaty and unhealthy le?!

1 hour ago, Lala81 said:

I've not tried this pineapple one before. But the queue is too daunting. lol

kaki jiak ho jiak most important [:p] 

who cares what others think lol

I mentioned before that LCG should only eat when not during CNY. The quality changes a lot due to the peak demand. Regular times eat LCG, actually it's nice to me.

I heard so much on this pineapple bak hwa, dont know how good the taste is? Always say wanted to go try out during non cny period but so far still no. Lol.

• Haha! 2

5 hours ago, Weez911 said:

Walao, 6 hours x $8/hr (rate for temp job) is already $48/. Cost too high!

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 3

I cheapskate and cannot be bothered with the queuing. 

Started buying from our neighbors couple of years back and never stop since. Got to know the owner and can place order by means of a call and pick up when there. Can't taste the difference with BCH, LCG, KHG and etc. but price is 50% of what it is in Singapore.  

• Praise 1

I went to SHG to collect my order. They are overwhelmed. Long list of orders to collect. 

At first just tell me to come at night. Woman took my order slip then never say anything. After 40 mins, managed to get them to say they will call me when ready (cos I don't want to go at night then stand there and wait again). 

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

i buy lcg ba kwa almost every month except during cny period when the price goes up

pineapple ba kwa tried a couple of times also during non cny period but not impressed.  never went back again after 2nd time.

but ya... to each his own 

cny period go other people’s house to jiak... i cheapskate one

😅🤣

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

1 hour ago, Lala81 said:

I went to SHG to collect my order. They are overwhelmed. Long list of orders to collect. 

At first just tell me to come at night. Woman took my order slip then never say anything. After 40 mins, managed to get them to say they will call me when ready (cos I don't want to go at night then stand there and wait again). 

Collect order also need to wait 40 mins? 😓

11 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

Wife colleague Q >4hr for this... 

1cYSRxT.jpg

o8jvrS5.jpg

This one need to go Saturday evenings. I bought 2 Saturdays back, queued for 30mins.

• Praise 1

today got free Bak Kwa, someone gave me  1 kg of this HOCK WONG (福王) bak kwa. 1st time come across, but the packaging quite interesting, and inside is individual pack.  Taste is fantasy because free food always taste good.. [:p][laugh][laugh]

rps20200117_191821.thumb.jpg.c571225b0f6f1d1cd530e2d4aefc8f75.jpg

rps20200117_191904.thumb.jpg.4a16418953ee716d6602b56d8a1d191a.jpg

rps20200117_191942.jpg.7d512c5658ec3ac204ea448d5560b48f.jpg

Edited by Tianmo
  • Praise 4
  • Haha! 1

23 hours ago, Lala81 said:

Super shiok. 

20200117_215759_compress77.jpg

20200117_215719_compress78.jpg

20200117_215735_compress33.jpg

Wah, I love this type chao da chao da ones, always flip ard looking for it...:wub:[laugh][laugh]

actually I find the satay stall at clementi, their BK also quite to my liking!!! 2 weeks ago went there wanted to buy satay, but they stopped satay sales until after CNY liao, ended up with 1 kg of their BK, within a few days all gone... [:p][laugh][laugh]

• Praise 2

11 hours ago, Tianmo said:

Wah, I love this type chao da chao da ones, always flip ard looking for it...:wub:[laugh][laugh]

actually I find the satay stall at clementi, their BK also quite to my liking!!! 2 weeks ago went there wanted to buy satay, but they stopped satay sales until after CNY liao, ended up with 1 kg of their BK, within a few days all gone... [:p][laugh][laugh]

Yeah I know. Used to annoy me cos I want to dabao their satay. They stop selling satay usually after Xmas or ny eve. 

Lol the chao tar parts annoy my mother to no end. She complain a lot last year. She cuts them away. So this year I just get her 0.5kg

I also just did the same for mine. The more charred edges I trimmed away. Using a scissors for long is uncomfortable