Tourists argue with van driver in S’pore who refused to overload vehicle with their belongings

kobayashiGT

Internal Moderator

Tourists argue with van driver in S’pore who refused to overload vehicle with their belongings

source: https://mothership.sg/2020/01/tourists-van-driver-argument/

tourists-van-driver-argument.jpg?hello

A group of tourists seen in a four-and-a-half-minute video harassing a tour bus driver in Singapore for refusing to overload her vehicle, has received widespread condemnation.

The incident appeared to have occurred at the four-star Hotel ParkRoyal at Kitchener Road located opposite Mustafa Centre.

The video was uploaded by the All Singapore Stuff Facebook page on Jan. 2.

The caption of the video said that the tourists started picking on the female driver after she refused to load extra luggage and a wheelchair onto her 13-seater vehicle.

She apparently declined as it would have resulted in the overloading of the vehicle, which would have been dangerous for her passengers.

The caption read:

“Singapore driver bullied by Tour Group for refusing load extra luggage on 13 seater … then they brought another wheel chair to put on top of luggage … driver refused as it is dangerous for passengers sitting inside due to sudden brake can drop.. but family started shouting at driver. This what’s happened..”

What video showed

In the video, which was apparently taken by the driver, a vehicle can be seen parked at the pick-up point of the hotel.

A crowd was watching the commotion as it occurred over several minutes.

A family, believed to be tourists, can be seen loudly arguing with the driver and refusing to clear their items from the vehicle.

This occurred even after they were told that the tour bus management is sending them a larger vehicle to accommodate all of them.

One of the tourists, a woman, can be seen standing inside the van while shouting that the driver “cannot scare us by recording us”.

This occurred at the start of the video after the driver resorted to filming the group.

The driver repeatedly told the group that they needed to clear the vehicle as she was responsible for it.

However, one of the men in the group said the driver should drive them to their destination instead, since they are the passengers and can deal with any problems that arise from overloading the vehicle.

The driver then told the group that they should get away from the van.

Another man from the group told the driver that he is calling her superiors.

One of the young children in the group also shouted at the driver.

ParkRoyal staff can be seen intervening throughout.

The tourists remained irate and one of the women apparently said in Hindi: “This is such rude behaviour, isnt it? She is creating problems for tourists. In no country can you trouble tourists like this. This is such filthy behaviour!”

Driver manages to drive off but not before being confronted

ParkRoyal staff then confirmed with the driver that a larger van was on its way.

But the tourists remained angry and demanded answers as to what they should do if the other vehicle did not show up.

Despite being told repeatedly to clear out, the tourists took their time to remove their luggage from the van as the hotel staff sent the driver on her way.

When the driver asked the children to take their bags out of the vehicle, one child said: “That I will take! That I will take!”

One of the men in the group then approached the driver, blocked the door from closing, and recorded the driver using his phone.

He told the children that they should film the driver since she was filming them.

The man then stood in front of the vehicle, which prevented the driver from moving off.

Responses

The video was initially watched about 80,000 times in one day.

By Jan. 4, it has clocked 227,000 views.

The majority of comments on the video have called for the tourists to respect the local laws and culture of the host country.

Some 1,600 comments have been left on the video in response.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Angry 2
  • Haha! 1

CECA CECA! CECA!

Why come here as tourists? come here and find a job la.

Edited by Kusje
  • Haha! 1

Turbocharged
1 hour ago, kobayashiGT said:

source: https://mothership.sg/2020/01/tourists-van-driver-argument/

tourists-van-driver-argument.jpg?hello

A group of tourists seen in a four-and-a-half-minute video harassing a tour bus driver in Singapore for refusing to overload her vehicle, has received widespread condemnation.

The incident appeared to have occurred at the four-star Hotel ParkRoyal at Kitchener Road located opposite Mustafa Centre.

The video was uploaded by the All Singapore Stuff Facebook page on Jan. 2.

The caption of the video said that the tourists started picking on the female driver after she refused to load extra luggage and a wheelchair onto her 13-seater vehicle.

She apparently declined as it would have resulted in the overloading of the vehicle, which would have been dangerous for her passengers.

The caption read:

“Singapore driver bullied by Tour Group for refusing load extra luggage on 13 seater … then they brought another wheel chair to put on top of luggage … driver refused as it is dangerous for passengers sitting inside due to sudden brake can drop.. but family started shouting at driver. This what’s happened..”

What video showed

In the video, which was apparently taken by the driver, a vehicle can be seen parked at the pick-up point of the hotel.

A crowd was watching the commotion as it occurred over several minutes.

A family, believed to be tourists, can be seen loudly arguing with the driver and refusing to clear their items from the vehicle.

This occurred even after they were told that the tour bus management is sending them a larger vehicle to accommodate all of them.

One of the tourists, a woman, can be seen standing inside the van while shouting that the driver “cannot scare us by recording us”.

This occurred at the start of the video after the driver resorted to filming the group.

The driver repeatedly told the group that they needed to clear the vehicle as she was responsible for it.

However, one of the men in the group said the driver should drive them to their destination instead, since they are the passengers and can deal with any problems that arise from overloading the vehicle.

The driver then told the group that they should get away from the van.

Another man from the group told the driver that he is calling her superiors.

One of the young children in the group also shouted at the driver.

ParkRoyal staff can be seen intervening throughout.

The tourists remained irate and one of the women apparently said in Hindi: “This is such rude behaviour, isnt it? She is creating problems for tourists. In no country can you trouble tourists like this. This is such filthy behaviour!”

Driver manages to drive off but not before being confronted

ParkRoyal staff then confirmed with the driver that a larger van was on its way.

But the tourists remained angry and demanded answers as to what they should do if the other vehicle did not show up.

Despite being told repeatedly to clear out, the tourists took their time to remove their luggage from the van as the hotel staff sent the driver on her way.

When the driver asked the children to take their bags out of the vehicle, one child said: “That I will take! That I will take!”

One of the men in the group then approached the driver, blocked the door from closing, and recorded the driver using his phone.

He told the children that they should film the driver since she was filming them.

The man then stood in front of the vehicle, which prevented the driver from moving off.

Responses

The video was initially watched about 80,000 times in one day.

By Jan. 4, it has clocked 227,000 views.

The majority of comments on the video have called for the tourists to respect the local laws and culture of the host country.

Some 1,600 comments have been left on the video in response.

In this case I have to be fair to the tourist. U know in India, its normal to overload everything, bus, trains, etc. Cannot blame them :D

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 10

indians as indians,  sorry no offence. 

In India, they overload everything from scooters to bikes to cars and even trains.  Ppl are literally sitting on top of trains.  and they think the whole world is like that.

The WORST thing is the van driver is a female, which is a lower class gender in the eyes of Indians.  Primitive thinking but that's so true.

• Praise 5

2 minutes ago, RogerNg_185295 said:

I dun wanna sound rude . But its obvious that when you are in a lower profession such as drivers, guards,  cleaners etc...

People will bully you

You are rude. I think you need to have your head re-examine.

1. Why do you say they are in a lower profession? What do you mean that they are of lower profession? 

2. Bullies does not choose their targets specifically. Bullies are bullies because they have poor values. Their targets can be of anyone, any occupation

Some days, I wish you can be more intelligent. Oh well

2 minutes ago, Carhorn said:

You are rude. I think you need to have your head re-examine.

1. Why do you say they are in a lower profession? What do you mean that they are of lower profession? 

2. Bullies does not choose their targets specifically. Bullies are bullies because they have poor values. Their targets can be of anyone, any occupation

Some days, I wish you can be more intelligent. Oh well

Oh well...no point argue with fools 

12 minutes ago, RogerNg_185295 said:

Oh well...no point argue with fools 

You meant societal perception right.

If guys with guns were there, outcome would have been different ya?

They had obvious disregard to the supposedly parkroyal staff, ergo doorman, security...

She wearing snake skin, says something about her personality.

1 minute ago, Datsun366 said:

You meant societal perception right.

If guys with guns were there, outcome would have been different ya?

They had obvious disregard to the supposedly parkroyal staff, ergo doorman, security...

She wearing snake skin, says something about her personality.

Yes sir. Society perception.  And this is very difficult to change. 

And who is right and wrong? 

I was in KL recently with my family for a short getaway. 

First morning during BF, these big grp came in, and the whole cafe became little India. They behaved just as they were at home, can you imagine ppl standing by the buffet trays and eating out of the trays with their hands? Yes, using their hands, they took food from the trays and ate there standing. 

Just when I was about to sit down with some food, this fellow bang his empty glass on our table and walked off. I chased after him and almost punched him, he then walked back as if nothing has happen, took the glass and left it with the tray of clean ones. The cafe manager tried to cool me down and took the glass from the tray. 

His comment was, " we have seen worse, I think we really have to think of a way to put them somewhere else." 

On the way out, we saw notice on the counter, cannot remember the exact words, something like pls do not use hands with common food and no packing of food...[laugh][laugh][laugh]

• Haha! 9

3 minutes ago, Tianmo said:

I was in KL recently with my family for a short getaway. 

First morning during BF, these big grp came in, and the whole cafe became little India. They behaved just as they were at home, can you imagine ppl standing by the buffet trays and eating out of the trays with their hands? Yes, using their hands, they took food from the trays and ate there standing. 

Just when I was about to sit down with some food, this fellow bang his empty glass on our table and walked off. I chased after him and almost punched him, he then walked back as if nothing has happen, took the glass and left it with the tray of clean ones. The cafe manager tried to cool me down and took the glass from the tray. 

His comment was, " we have seen worse, I think we really have to think of a way to put them somewhere else." 

On the way out, we saw notice on the counter, cannot remember the exact words, something like pls do not use hands with common food and no packing of food...[laugh][laugh][laugh]

Can't blame them cause no one ever tells them what is the norm and internationally acceptable behaviour. Just like tourist from certain country is not use to queueing. Cause in their country, there isn't any queueing culture. Also, they don't think that they should allow the passenger to alight first before they get up the bus. So, once the door opens, everybody pushing everybody.