Pritam Singh asked Chan Chun Sing whether is PAP releasing the amount of jobs between locals and foreigners

33 minutes ago, Knoobie said:

Correct me if i'm wrong. It was because the topic of discussion was about employment ratio which trigger the enquiry for breakdown? 

What you are saying is when the topic is about employment, some one come in to ask about stats on other matters (e.g. retirement ration)?

No, I and ccs was suggesting that wp stick to discussing the employment numbers for locals only. Which is one half of the equation for standard of living for locals.

remember if u want to increase local birth rate u need money... so first thing is to get economy and gdp up so government has revenue... 

Edited by Wind30
↡ Advertisement

2 hours ago, Wind30 said:

My first thought is to check what it means by Person of indian origin. Did you?

Likely to mean, person is no longer holding Indian citizenship, but previously was holding it.

Another nugget: India was considering to change (not sure if it's already changed) its laws to allow overseas Indians not holding Indian citizenship to inherit land / properties etc, due to economic reasons of Indians taking up other countries' citizenship.

Yet another nugget: Those who have Indian co-workers would realise, many of them choose to have one spouse holding PR while the other converts to citizen, keeping the inheritance path open. If they have nothing to inherit, it's to keep a backdoor open to return to India in future.

6 minutes ago, Alpha78 said:

Likely to mean, person is no longer holding Indian citizenship, but previously was holding it.

Another nugget: India was considering to change (not sure if it's already changed) its laws to allow overseas Indians not holding Indian citizenship to inherit land / properties etc, due to economic reasons of Indians taking up other countries' citizenship.

Yet another nugget: Those who have Indian co-workers would realise, many of them choose to have one spouse holding PR while the other converts to citizen, keeping the inheritance path open. If they have nothing to inherit, it's to keep a backdoor open to return to India in future.

Wrong... see what I mean. People just pull out numbers without even bothering checking what those numbers mean....

17 minutes ago, Wind30 said:

No, I and ccs was suggesting that wp stick to discussing the employment numbers for locals only. Which is one half of the equation for standard of living for locals.

remember if u want to increase local birth rate u need money... so first thing is to get economy and gdp up so government has revenue... 

First try to wow the crowd with "measures" that help preserve employment for locals.

then people ask more detail on the data and got shot down because "you should only focus on locals"

am i the only one that goes simi sai? 

on the birth rate and GDP, it is a chicken and egg problem. I can also argue that low birth rate can also contribute to ageing population and affect GDP.

2 hours ago, Windwaver said:

st_20200119_elmigrant_r1_5391534.jpg

India 6%???!!! :secret-laugh:; maybe all in FI loh cos they surround me.

The drop in numbers from 2018-2019 does it include those who convert to PR and citizens

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

3 minutes ago, Carbon82 said:

It double confirms that engineers are always bloody meticulous.

You seem suitable for our party. Please check your letterbox for invitation to a tea-party.

hint: one of the requirements is your ability to dish out chicken rice or byrani packets.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 3

2 hours ago, Windwaver said:

st_20200119_elmigrant_r1_5391534.jpg

India 6%???!!! :secret-laugh:; maybe all in FI loh cos they surround me.

How can this migrant data not include Filipino? They are just as many as ceca if not more. 

• Praise 3

24 minutes ago, Carbon82 said:

Bro, why do you guys keep replying to an IB who argued that transparency of data is a very bad thing, and mass influx of foreigners is a very good thing?

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 4

1 hour ago, Wind30 said:

How much money you think is enough to solve this existential problem.? There is really no lack of money.

If govt adopts the international way of accounting for govt budget, we are talking about billions of budget surplus every year. 

What wrong with overly conservative? They can kick the can further down the road.

• Praise 2

25 minutes ago, Ender said:

How can this migrant data not include Filipino? They are just as many as ceca if not more. 

Bro please do give chance can? I still want to go to Cebu for holiday.

Thank you.

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, Beehive3783 said:

Why blame on the govt? Because they are not doing enough to curb rising costs of living to make it affordable for newly married couples, who may not be financially strong enough, to start a family.

You say availability of affordable and high quality preschools is really important. But how affordable is affordable? What is your definition of affordable? Affordable to newly married couples earning maybe a gross combined salary of 5k per month? Or affordable to older, degree holders earning a gross combined salary of 10k per month?

You need to understand this, those who earn high salaries maybe already be too troubled by work (work stress to maintain high work performance to justify their salary) to think about starting a family. Likewise, those who just started working not long would still be too troubled by work (gross earnings to use for cost of living) to start a family.

If cost of living is sufficiently curbed by the government, I'm sure many would be more willing to start a family.

But in this type of society where the government is only after GDP growth every year? How to?

By the way, I have 2 youngs kids so I definitely have the right to make this comment.

I have wanted 4 since I got married, but the escalating cost of living and difficulty in achieving work life balance forced me to stop at 2. To be fair, I have a pretty decent household income (by man on the street standard, Not MCF), don't splurge on luxury items / atas dinning, nor go for annual overseas trips. In case some are wondering if I am self contradicting, I have parent to support too... 

I grew up in a family that emphasis on saving up for my purchase and follow the belief diligently till I got fed up with housing price that shot through the roof (my savings per year is not even enough to offset the increase in down-payment and taxes), annual salary increment that cannot catch up with the increase in household expenses, sudden introduction of new taxes (in name to help the poor), etc.

Call me bias, with escalating land / housing and transportation cost, everyone down the value chain will affect in one way or another, and so opening the flood gate become the next viable option to keep overhead low. But that has resulted in suppression of local salary and thus the cycle carries on and now we find ourselves in deeper sh*t.

How to get out of it? Borrow a Chinese saying: 解铃还需系铃人 (problems still need to be solved by the creator)

46 minutes ago, Ash2017 said:

It double confirms that engineers are always bloody meticulous.

To be credible, hard data and source of information are a must, as it speak nothing but the truth. That is also how I remain active and add value to the online communities for the past 20 years.

• Praise 11

27 minutes ago, Weez911 said:

Bro, why do you guys keep replying to an IB who argued that transparency of data is a very bad thing, and mass influx of foreigners is a very good thing?

Well, he does pose some good geometry problems, so he is not without redeeming qualities. 😂😂😂

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

15 minutes ago, TangoCharlie said:

How much money you think is enough to solve this existential problem.? There is really no lack of money.

If govt adopts the international way of accounting for govt budget, we are talking about billions of budget surplus every year. 

What wrong with overly conservative? They can kick the can further down the road.

there is never a lack of money in this ah gong

there is nothing wrong in being prudent too.... except that they are overly generous to themselves

perhaps if they are miserly towards themselves as they do the people, they would descend from the clouds and understand the issues to craft policies for the good of the populace and not the gdp which subsequently leads to a further boost to their own pockets 

😬

• Praise 7

19 minutes ago, Carbon82 said:

I have wanted 4 since I got married, but the escalating cost of living and difficulty in achieving work life balance forced me to stop at 2. To be fair, I have a pretty decent household income (by man on the street standard, Not MCF), don't splurge on luxury items / atas dinning, nor go for annual overseas trips. In case some are wondering if I am self contradicting, I have parent to support too... 

I grew up in a family that emphasis on saving up for my purchase and follow the belief diligently till I got fed up with housing price that shot through the roof (my savings per year is not even enough to offset the increase in down-payment and taxes), annual salary increment that cannot catch up with the increase in household expenses, sudden introduction of new taxes (in name to help the poor), etc.

Call me bias, with escalating land / housing and transportation cost, everyone down the value chain will affect in one way or another, and so opening the flood gate become the next viable option to keep overhead low. But that has resulted in suppression of local salary and thus the cycle carries on and now we find ourselves in deeper sh*t.

How to get out of it? Borrow a Chinese saying: 解铃还需系铃人 (problems still need to be solved by the creator)

To be credible, hard data and source of information are a must, as it speak nothing but the truth. That is also how I remain active and add value to the online communities for the past 20 years.

walau a small comment also kena terkan by engineer

I agree with you completely

if you had 4, I am sure you would not have time for MCF

• Praise 1

13 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

Well, he does pose some good geometry problems, so he is not without redeeming qualities. 😂😂😂

your generosity is frightening

my hemorrhoids all came back

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 2

14 minutes ago, Enye said:

there is never a lack of money in this ah gong

there is nothing wrong in being prudent too.... except that they are overly generous to themselves

perhaps if they are miserly towards themselves as they do the people, they would descend from the clouds and understand the issues to craft policies for the good of the populace and not the gdp which subsequently leads to a further boost to their own pockets 

😬

that is the great difference between the founding fathers and the current generation of leaders

• Praise 2

2 minutes ago, Ash2017 said:

walau a small comment also kena terkan by engineer

I agree with you completely

if you had 4, I am sure you would not have time for MCF

I guess you married ur hand that’s why u so free

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 3