Judge grants bid by undergrad facing toilet filming charges to leave Singapore for top British university

zipping

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/courts-crime/sporean-studying-at-top-british-university-convicted-for-filming-multiple

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/top-uk-university-student-pleads-guilty-to-taking-illicit-videos-15325868

"The victims' names will still be gagged in this instance, he said. He argued that the public interest in open justice in criminal proceedings is sacrosanct. He said that the identity of an accused person can be published under law, even if it would be damaging to someone who is later acquitted.

In Singapore, a gag order is extended to an accused's name only in very limited circumstances, such as when publication might lead to the identification of a victim, said Mr Foo.

He added that all 11 victims in the case have made it "crystal clear" that they do not want additional protection via a gag order on the accused's name.

"There is undeniable public interest in identifying the accused. He should not be allowed to hide behind the gag order," said Mr Foo.

The defence argued that the prosecutors had previously tried to have the gag order lifted but failed. They should not be allowed to make the same application in the district courts, and should instead go to the High Court, said the lawyer.

He said the victims are between 20 and 23 now and "may not truly appreciate the risk of their identities being compromised". He added that the court is the custodian to decide on the victims' protection, and that it is "not for the victims to say I don't want it"."

I'm sorry? If a person is old enough to vote they should be old enough to make their own decisions without some lawyer with vested interests deciding for them. Now that all the victims have agreed to have the convicted criminal's identity revealed at the risk of their own identities being found out, if the High Court rules otherwise, there surely must be something kelong in this if the defence successfully petitions for the gag order to stay.

I wonder who the gag order really protects? After he receives his punishment (which may amount to no more than a slap of the wrist probation) the people who will continue to interact with him will have absolutely no idea of his past, yet he could still re-offend. His girlfriend, wife, future offspring wouldn't know either.  

Every man is someone's son, but this man must be a son of somebody. 

Edited by Macrosszero
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6
  • Haha! 1

10 hours ago, Macrosszero said:

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/courts-crime/sporean-studying-at-top-british-university-convicted-for-filming-multiple

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/top-uk-university-student-pleads-guilty-to-taking-illicit-videos-15325868

"The victims' names will still be gagged in this instance, he said. He argued that the public interest in open justice in criminal proceedings is sacrosanct. He said that the identity of an accused person can be published under law, even if it would be damaging to someone who is later acquitted.

In Singapore, a gag order is extended to an accused's name only in very limited circumstances, such as when publication might lead to the identification of a victim, said Mr Foo.

He added that all 11 victims in the case have made it "crystal clear" that they do not want additional protection via a gag order on the accused's name.

"There is undeniable public interest in identifying the accused. He should not be allowed to hide behind the gag order," said Mr Foo.

The defence argued that the prosecutors had previously tried to have the gag order lifted but failed. They should not be allowed to make the same application in the district courts, and should instead go to the High Court, said the lawyer.

He said the victims are between 20 and 23 now and "may not truly appreciate the risk of their identities being compromised". He added that the court is the custodian to decide on the victims' protection, and that it is "not for the victims to say I don't want it"."

I'm sorry? If a person is old enough to vote they should be old enough to make their own decisions without some lawyer with vested interests deciding for them. Now that all the victims have agreed to have the convicted criminal's identity revealed at the risk of their own identities being found out, if the High Court rules otherwise, there surely must be something kelong in this if the defence successfully petitions for the gag order to stay.

I wonder who the gag order really protects? After he receives his punishment (which may amount to no more than a slap of the wrist probation) the people who will continue to interact with him will have absolutely no idea of his past, yet he could still re-offend. His girlfriend, wife, future offspring wouldn't know either.  

Every man is someone's son, but this man must be a son of somebody. 

What's the big deal? Just due process. 

Prosecution wants to lift gag order with victim consent, defence trying to block and waiting for judge to decide.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

It's still very weird. All the victims don't mind lifting the gag order. Accused wants it to remain.

Gag order's intention originally is to protect victims from being ID'ed, right?

Now the circumstances is such that it is unintentionally protecting the accused [laugh]

• Praise 1

10 minutes ago, Sosaria said:

It's still very weird. All the victims don't mind lifting the gag order. Accused wants it to remain.

Now the circumstances is such that it is unintentionally protecting the accused [laugh]

So in this  case.

Say if the victim tulan.

Expose her name to the public and leak out the offender name. Will she be punish?

10 minutes ago, Sosaria said:

Similar to collateral damage.

12 minutes ago, Sosaria said:

Every ruling or law always have pros-cons to it. So this is one of the cons u have to accept to have the pros.

The intent of the law is to protect the victims, so other secondary consequences have to be considered but should fit within the intent/aim of the Gag order.

Lot of people mistake the cons as a sign that the law/ruling is defective. There's no perfect decision.
If a decision can have 80% upside, 20% downside, it's already a highly effective well considered one.

• Praise 2

There are 11 women filmed in public toilets... how is the perverts identity being exposed supposed to identify the women in any case? I catch no ball

• Praise 1

39 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Every ruling or law always have pros-cons to it. So this is one of the cons u have to accept to have the pros.

The intent of the law is to protect the victims, so other secondary consequences have to be considered but should fit within the intent/aim of the Gag order.

Lot of people mistake the cons as a sign that the law/ruling is defective. There's no perfect decision.
If a decision can have 80% upside, 20% downside, it's already a highly effective well considered one.

No one is saying that the gag order is defective - but it can be a double edged sword especially when the victim and perpetrator have familial ties, as it affords guaranteed anonymity even if they have to serve time.

In this case however, the victims have unanimously chosen not to have the protection of the gag order. 

You and I know that the defence lawyers aren’t so altruistic as to protect the identity of the victims as it is to protect the identity of their client and bring shame to their family. Their implied argument that the women aged from 20-24 are still “too young to understand the ramifications of waiving the gag order” is purely self-serving hogwash.

And yes, it would be interesting if the 11 women came out to identify the perpetrator - wonder what would happen to them?

• Praise 2

Turbocharged
3 minutes ago, Macrosszero said:

You and I know that the defence lawyers aren’t so altruistic as to protect the identity of the victims as it is to protect the identity of their client and bring shame to their family. Their implied argument that the women aged from 20-24 are still “too young to understand the ramifications of waiving the gag order” is purely self-serving hogwash.

And yes, it would be interesting if the 11 women came out to identify the perpetrator - wonder what would happen to them?

Correct. In this #MeToo era and we are living in a modern society anyway, there is no longer any form of victim-blaming. What ramifications? Next time cannot marry into good family ah??

1 hour ago, Beregond said:

So in this  case.

Say if the victim tulan.

Expose her name to the public and leak out the offender name. Will she be punish?

Legally she goes against the court order and can be charged I think.

But more likely will be given a warning not to do it again... 😄

• Praise 1

Just now, Volvobrick said:

Legally she goes against the court order and can be charged I think.

But more likely will be given a warning not to do it again... 😄

if i am the victim. and like some of the girls say they dun mind being expose. i will say out all the name.

unless of course they receive undertable settlement. 

3 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

I think if the accused name is exposed in trial so will all his victims. Maybe that is why it is left to the judge to decide. 

The victims already said they don't need to be protected, and they want the culprick identified. 

I think there is nothing else to decide.  We can only suspect the culprick is from reputable family.

• Praise 4

38 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

The victims already said they don't need to be protected, and they want the culprick identified. 

I think there is nothing else to decide.  We can only suspect the culprick is from reputable family.

I know but the judge might think otherwise cos these are vulnerable young women and they might not see the consequences of exposing their name now. For eg. if other sexual fiend/stalker/sexual predator recognise or know the one or more of the victims in future they will think the women are easy target and take full advantage of them.

I know they want badly to expose this man that is why they give their consent. But at the same time they are making themselves vulnerable in future.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 1

I don't know how the identity peeping tom in this case will expose the victims identity. If they are from the same household, yes. Even from the same school or company, unless that company has only 11 women working there. Can anyone help to explain?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1