Back to Nature - scallop picking along East Coast Park

Heartlander

Recently there are many threads created that are controversial and created tension among members. Today let me share something more light-hearted and hopefully will pull some of us away from the internet/forum for a few hours haha.

Have been watching those seaside scavenging videos for awhile, be it from angmo countries or china. Always intrigued by what can be picked up along the beaches in other countries. But over here is not like hopeless, though we should not be too hopeful unless you have a yacht and could sail to southern islands all the time. With keen eyes, still possible to have some fun while spending an hour or two looking for something along local beaches, especially good for young kids.

To be specific, I have recently have been picking up scallops along 2 beaches along East Coast Park when the tide is at its lowest in late afternoon, about 0.3m according to myENV app for those keen to do it. The tide would have receded to expose a long stretch of sandy/muddy land, and you will be surprised by the amount of dead shells that can be found there. Yesterday managed to bring home 10 pieces of bigger than palm-size scallops within  20min of look look see see. You will not need sharp eyes as they are practically everywhere if you know how to spot them, would have taken back more if not for the concept of sustainable fishing.  Pro-tip - look for those sitting upright that are slightly opened. Those alive ones would be anchored to a base through some fibers, would need some efforts to twist them out if located in sandy areas. The shells would be clammed shut when you try to putt it out from its base. Those lying flat are definitely dead so do not bother.

After reached home spent some time and hard efforts taking out the meat. Do not actually need to put the scallops overnight to spit out sands as we are only interested in the coin-size meat that is the muscle and not the internal organs of the shellfish. After that I let my helper did some stir fry to let the family enjoy. Should have baked it like previous time as tasted much better. More common way to enjoy them would be to bbq with some sauce concocted from garlic and ginger and onion and chili.

Anyway  this is just some sharing for those keen on spending quality time with kids or just personal time to relax. Just be mindful to wear proper shoes or slippers as the place could be muddy.

20200111_171926-1612x784.jpg

20200111_171929-1612x784.jpg

20200111_185435-1612x784.jpg

20200111_191922-1612x784.jpg

20200111_191926-1612x784.jpg

20200111_192837-1612x784.jpg

20200111_195336-1612x784.jpg

20200111_201016-1612x784.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 32
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 2

It is muddy and sandy lah, the ideal habitat for shell-fish. Nature in its rawest form. Count your blessings that you do not see rubbish all over.

If you want white pristine sandy beach, you should go to places like Palawan haha.

• Praise 4

57 minutes ago, Hamburger said:

East coast beach looks dirty as ever.

Till you see Pasir Ris or Sembawang beach.

Eat Eoast become so clean.

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 6

2 hours ago, Hamburger said:

East coast beach looks dirty as ever.

What to do when there are just plastic bottles, plastic bags in the sea being discarded by people on boats/along shorelines.

ECP is actually cleanest of the beaches cos there are regular beach cleanup volunteers. It's sad but just the reality.

• Praise 5

Brought back many fond memories! Used to follow my dad to kranji area to dig up lala during low tides. Quite easy to spot..Just observe them spitting water out.  My dad also wade into water to cast his net for prawns and flower crabs.

• Praise 8

22 minutes ago, TangoCharlie said:

Brought back many fond memories! Used to follow my dad to kranji area to dig up lala during low tides. Quite easy to spot..Just observe them spitting water out.  My dad also wade into water to cast his net for prawns and flower crabs.

Maybe good for you to create some fond memories with your kids that they will remember for long long time haha.

• Praise 4

1 hour ago, TangoCharlie said:

Brought my kids there a few a years ago. The beach there was quite muddy so the lala was very dirty. Lala in sandy ground is better.

Edited by Tohto
  • Praise 4

51 minutes ago, Heartlander said:

Maybe good for you to create some fond memories with your kids that they will remember for long long time haha.

In the past, my dad like those typical fathers during their time hardly spend time with their kids since they spent most of their time working. So yes those were really treasured moments esp I am the only one ( out of six children) accompanying him to such trips.

Nowadays the modern dad is more involved with their children. I am no exception. Hopefully they have fond memories of the time I had with them. Hahaha.

14 minutes ago, Tohto said:

Brought my kids there a few a years ago. The beach there was quite muddy so the lala was very dirty. Lala in sandy ground is better.

It's like more than 30 years ago....I could not even recall the exact spot. But definitely it's muddy and we bring own water supplies to clean ourselves up.

La sum jiak, la sum dua.😀

• Praise 4

2 hours ago, TangoCharlie said:

In the past, my dad like those typical fathers during their time hardly spend time with their kids since they spent most of their time working. So yes those were really treasured moments esp I am the only one ( out of six children) accompanying him to such trips.

Nowadays the modern dad is more involved with their children. I am no exception. Hopefully they have fond memories of the time I had with them. Hahaha.

Our generation is definitely more involved but hopefully what the kids remember fondly is not of their parents fetching them from all the lessons/ classes and forcing them to take up the whatever musical skills haha. 

I have been actively doing weekly cycling trips with kids when possible, planning to do camping next. Have bought some camping gears as well as fishing gears as well as an inflatable kayak. Hope to use them soon haha.

• Praise 7

did the same many ages ago on a back packing trip to NZ where I went canoeing and picked up (black longish) mussels on some beaches and cooked them back at the hostel.  

• Praise 5

Long time ago, while I was in NS, Coney island beach was filled with flower crab.

We just need to pick up them up by the backside so their pincers don't bite you.

Pick so many, nobody wants to eat, we just throw them back into the sea.

• Praise 5
  • Haha! 1

11 hours ago, Gz0707 said:

did the same many ages ago on a back packing trip to NZ where I went canoeing and picked up (black longish) mussels on some beaches and cooked them back at the hostel.  

I did the same when was in Tasmania 3 years back. The rocky seaside was full of big mussles. Picked up some but did not cook as not sure how to then. Should have been more adventurous just cook them in cheap wine there. The water there very clear and no need to wait for the mussles to spit out sand.

• Praise 5

19 hours ago, Heartlander said:

Recently there are many threads created that are controversial and created tension among members. Today let me share something more light-hearted and hopefully will pull some of us away from the internet/forum for a few hours haha.

Have been watching those seaside scavenging videos for awhile, be it from angmo countries or china. Always intrigued by what can be picked up along the beaches in other countries. But over here is not like hopeless, though we should not be too hopeful unless you have a yacht and could sail to southern islands all the time. With keen eyes, still possible to have some fun while spending an hour or two looking for something along local beaches, especially good for young kids.

To be specific, I have recently have been picking up scallops along 2 beaches along East Coast Park when the tide is at its lowest in late afternoon, about 0.3m according to myENV app for those keen to do it. The tide would have receded to expose a long stretch of sandy/muddy land, and you will be surprised by the amount of dead shells that can be found there. Yesterday managed to bring home 10 pieces of bigger than palm-size scallops within  20min of look look see see. You will not need sharp eyes as they are practically everywhere if you know how to spot them, would have taken back more if not for the concept of sustainable fishing.  Pro-tip - look for those sitting upright that are slightly opened. Those alive ones would be anchored to a base through some fibers, would need some efforts to twist them out if located in sandy areas. The shells would be clammed shut when you try to putt it out from its base. Those lying flat are definitely dead so do not bother.

After reached home spent some time and hard efforts taking out the meat. Do not actually need to put the scallops overnight to spit out sands as we are only interested in the coin-size meat that is the muscle and not the internal organs of the shellfish. After that I let my helper did some stir fry to let the family enjoy. Should have baked it like previous time as tasted much better. More common way to enjoy them would be to bbq with some sauce concocted from garlic and ginger and onion and chili.

Anyway  this is just some sharing for those keen on spending quality time with kids or just personal time to relax. Just be mindful to wear proper shoes or slippers as the place could be muddy.

20200111_171926-1612x784.jpg

20200111_171929-1612x784.jpg

20200111_185435-1612x784.jpg

20200111_191922-1612x784.jpg

20200111_191926-1612x784.jpg

20200111_192837-1612x784.jpg

20200111_195336-1612x784.jpg

20200111_201016-1612x784.jpg

Got laosai after the meal?? sure no need to soak in clean water overnight?? wont have the smell meh?

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

16 hours ago, TangoCharlie said:

i used to go to Punggol many moons ago to hunt for blood worms on low tides.  Super muddy! 

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 2

8 minutes ago, Buadongdong said:

Got laosai after the meal?? sure no need to soak in clean water overnight?? wont have the smell meh?

If got laosai you think I will still share this over here? Done twice already.

The soaking in clean water is to rid the shellfish of sand, essential if you dealing with clams or oysters where you eat the whole body of the shellfish. But for scallops where you discard all the innards and eat only the muscle chunk, no need to as sand cannot get into the muscle. Confirm eating got no sand with proper cleaning. And soaking also got nothing to do with the seafood smell.

• Praise 6

20 minutes ago, Heartlander said:

If got laosai you think I will still share this over here? Done twice already.

The soaking in clean water is to rid the shellfish of sand, essential if you dealing with clams or oysters where you eat the whole body of the shellfish. But for scallops where you discard all the innards and eat only the muscle chunk, no need to as sand cannot get into the muscle. Confirm eating got no sand with proper cleaning. And soaking also got nothing to do with the seafood smell.

Noted bro, i'm not as adventurous as you. Am especially paranoid about picking seafood outside on my own cos I have no knowledge about them at all.. Guess i'm destined to pay for them liao..

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 2