Removing very old sticky residue

Lala81

Have some old (5 years old) sticky residue from double sided tape on my front door (zzz leftover from 5 years ago when i used double sided tape for CNY decorations). 
I tried to remove it back then but then procrastinated cos i was busy then. Then haha now it's 5 years on.

Scrapping it doesn't work cos it's just a very thin residue that u can see and hardly feel.

It's the usual laminated type of door. Anyway to remove it without damaging the laminate?

Other than Rubbing alcohol, any other suggestions?

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 3

You could try Johnson Baby Oil; or else Goo Gone might also be worth a try. 

Both complemented by some elbow grease of course. May take a fair bit of effort and time.

Edited by Ronkovic
  • Praise 4
  • Haha! 1

I often use the same tape to stick over and remove the old ones. Same kind to deal with the same kind. 

otherwise, can try the melamine sponge from daiso. Damp it a little then work in circular motion slowly 

• Haha! 1

2 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

I often use the same tape to stick over and remove the old ones. Same kind to deal with the same kind. 

otherwise, can try the melamine sponge from daiso. Damp it a little then work in circular motion slowly 

this one is very old residue. Melamine sponge i don't think got any use. need something heavy duty but doesn't like discolor the door type of stuff.

• Haha! 1

I second Johnson baby oil,  quite amazing as a remover.  But I think even if you manage to remove it after 5 years, it would still leave behind a mark on the door. 

I have scotch tapes on my main door for paper talisman, and every time i remove them sure will have a deeper colored mark left behind. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

I also have this sticky residue from double sided tape on my glass door, didnt manage to clean it off. [:|] Now i just paste a sticker over it. Lol.

• Haha! 2

(edited)
15 minutes ago, Tianmo said:

I second Johnson baby oil,  quite amazing as a remover.  But I think even if you manage to remove it after 5 years, it would still leave behind a mark on the door. 

I have scotch tapes on my main door for paper talisman, and every time i remove them sure will have a deeper colored mark left behind. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Last resort then cover it up with a decoration. [:p]

After the first year i move in, switched to blue tack instead. ZZZ if i had known to use bluetack from the start, jiu bo taichi liao.

Edited by Lala81
  • Haha! 4

10 minutes ago, 13177 said:

I also have this sticky residue from double sided tape on my glass door, didnt manage to clean it off. [:|] Now i just paste a sticker over it. Lol.

Yeah. Last resort put something over it...

• Haha! 1

13 minutes ago, Kb27 said:

Oil usually works. Try mineral oil if you have.

haha how to remove the oil from my door later?? Later my door become oily door [dizzy]

1 minute ago, Lala81 said:

haha how to remove the oil from my door later?? Later my door become oily door [dizzy]

Oil is easily removed. Just wipe with cloth or with some sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) and water.

baking-soda-products.jpg

• Praise 2