Britain's Royal Family Rumble

BabyBlade

Internal Moderator

Britain's Queen Elizabeth has summoned her grandson Prince Harry for a crisis meeting to discuss future arrangements for him and his wife Meghan following the couple’s shock announcement that they want to step back from royal duties.

Prince Harry’s father Prince Charles, the heir to the throne, and his elder brother Prince William, will also attend the meeting, due to take place on Monday (Jan 13) at the queen’s Sandringham estate in Norfolk, eastern England, a Buckingham Palace source told Reuters.

Meghan, an American former TV actress, will try to join via telephone from Canada where she returned earlier in the week to rejoin the couple’s baby son, Archie.

Prince Harry and Meghan, officially known as the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, surprised the rest of the royal family last Wednesday by publicly announcing they wanted a “new working model” that would allow them to spend more time in North America and to be financially independent.

They did not consult the 93-year-old monarch or other members of the family before making their announcement on a new website, sussexroyal.com, a move which hurt and disappointed the queen and other royals, according to a royal source.

The split between Prince Harry and the other Windsors is the latest crisis the royal family has faced in a period described last month as “bumpy” by the queen in a televised annual address. 

Such is the global interest in Prince Harry and Meghan that their news has overshadowed a scandal surrounding the queen’s second son Prince Andrew and his friendship with disgraced late US  financier Jeffrey Epstein, who hanged himself in jail in August while awaiting trial on federal sex trafficking charges. 

In an emotional TV interview last October, Prince Harry admitted he and Prince William had fallen out.

The Sunday Times newspaper said the elder prince had spoken of his sadness at the rift. The brothers were close for years following the death of their mother Princess Diana in a Paris car crash in 1997.

The newspaper quoted William as saying to an unnamed friend:“I’ve put my arm around my brother all our lives and I can’t do that any more, we’re separate entities.

“I’m sad about that. All we can do, and all I can do, is try and support them and hope that the time comes when we’re all singing from the same page. I want everyone to play on the team.”

This isn't a crisis la. Australia is a crisis. Not this. Hmmm.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4
  • Sad 1
  • Haha! 2

43 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

The question is can they really walk out on being a royal? I highly doubt it.

Y not? Happened many times in history. 

• Praise 1

9 hours ago, BabyBlade said:

Britain's Queen Elizabeth has summoned her grandson Prince Harry for a crisis meeting to discuss future arrangements for him and his wife Meghan following the couple’s shock announcement that they want to step back from royal duties.

Prince Harry’s father Prince Charles, the heir to the throne, and his elder brother Prince William, will also attend the meeting, due to take place on Monday (Jan 13) at the queen’s Sandringham estate in Norfolk, eastern England, a Buckingham Palace source told Reuters.

Meghan, an American former TV actress, will try to join via telephone from Canada where she returned earlier in the week to rejoin the couple’s baby son, Archie.

Prince Harry and Meghan, officially known as the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, surprised the rest of the royal family last Wednesday by publicly announcing they wanted a “new working model” that would allow them to spend more time in North America and to be financially independent.

They did not consult the 93-year-old monarch or other members of the family before making their announcement on a new website, sussexroyal.com, a move which hurt and disappointed the queen and other royals, according to a royal source.

The split between Prince Harry and the other Windsors is the latest crisis the royal family has faced in a period described last month as “bumpy” by the queen in a televised annual address. 

Such is the global interest in Prince Harry and Meghan that their news has overshadowed a scandal surrounding the queen’s second son Prince Andrew and his friendship with disgraced late US  financier Jeffrey Epstein, who hanged himself in jail in August while awaiting trial on federal sex trafficking charges. 

In an emotional TV interview last October, Prince Harry admitted he and Prince William had fallen out.

The Sunday Times newspaper said the elder prince had spoken of his sadness at the rift. The brothers were close for years following the death of their mother Princess Diana in a Paris car crash in 1997.

The newspaper quoted William as saying to an unnamed friend:“I’ve put my arm around my brother all our lives and I can’t do that any more, we’re separate entities.

“I’m sad about that. All we can do, and all I can do, is try and support them and hope that the time comes when we’re all singing from the same page. I want everyone to play on the team.”

This isn't a crisis la. Australia is a crisis. Not this. Hmmm.

The Royal family fronts many civic and charity events in the UK and commonwealth. Its literally a job. Albeit to show face, show interest, promote the causes etc.

The few main royals do a lot of these. Since the Queen and her consort are too old to do them. 

• Praise 1

Internal Moderator

Prince Harry and Meghan exit: What we know so far

BBYTGlU.img?h=416&w=799&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=f

Following a six-week Christmas holiday in Vancouver Island, Canada, Prince Harry and Meghan, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, announced that they intend to step back from 'senior' roles in the royal family. On Jan. 8, 2020, the couple shared the news on their official Instagram handle, announcing that they wish to be "financially independent" and split their time "between United Kingdom and North America." 

Here's what we know so far on the royal move.

BBYTBjw.img?h=416&w=799&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=f

The announcement

On Jan. 8, the couple posted a photo of themselves on Instagram with the statement, “After many months of reflection and internal discussions, we have chosen to make a transition this year in starting to carve out a progressive new role within this institution. We intend to step back as ‘senior’ members of the Royal Family and work to become financially independent, while continuing to fully support Her Majesty The Queen. It is with your encouragement, particularly over the last few years, that we feel prepared to make this adjustment. We now plan to balance our time between the United Kingdom and North America, continuing to honour our duty to The Queen, the Commonwealth, and our patronages. This geographic balance will enable us to raise our son with an appreciation for the royal tradition into which he was born, while also providing our family with the space to focus on the next chapter, including the launch of our new charitable entity. We look forward to sharing the full details of this exciting next step in due course, as we continue to collaborate with Her Majesty The Queen, The Prince of Wales, The Duke of Cambridge and all relevant parties. Until then, please accept our deepest thanks for your continued support.”

BBYTngk.img?h=416&w=799&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=f

Buckingham Palace responds to the statement

Following the announcement, the Buckingham Palace released a statement shortly after that said, “Discussions with The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are at an early stage. We understand their desire to take a different approach, but these are complicated issues that will take time to work through.”

BBYTtuY.img?h=416&w=799&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=f

Queen arranges emergency call

On Jan. 9, Queen Elizabeth II reportedly led an emergency four-way call with Prince Charles, Prince William (L) and Prince Harry, ordering to find “immediate solution” to the situation. The teams of Charles and William were asked to arrange meetings with 10 Downing Street, the Home Office and their American and Canadian counterparts to device a suitable proposal.

BBYTrja.img?h=416&w=799&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=f

Royal residence

According to their official website, the couple will continue to use Frogmore Cottage (pictured) in Windsor, England, as heir official residence – with the permission of the queen. Details on their North American residence have not yet been revealed.

BBYTrlh.img?h=416&w=799&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=f

Royal fundings

The official website also states, five percent of the couple’s funding comes from the Sovereign Grant. The rest 95 percent of the funding are part of the income received by Prince Charles, generated by the Duchy of Cornwall. Following their stepping down, Harry and Meghan will not receive the Grant, but they hope to continue receiving funds from the Prince of Wales. Canada's Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has reportedly suggested the country will help fund the couple's security bill, via the Canadian taxpayer, should Prince Harry and Meghan decide to relocate there. 

BBYTwsj.img?h=416&w=799&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=f

Personal net worth

According to a report by the Guardian, Prince Harry has inherited an estimated sum of $26 million (£20 million) from his mother, Princess Diana, and nearly $9.1 million (£7 million) from his great-grandmother, the Queen Mother. Owing to her acting career, Meghan has been valued around $5.2 million (£4 million).

BBYTcsH.img?h=416&w=799&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=f

Meghan's Disney deal

On Jan. 11, the Times reported that Meghan has signed a voiceover deal on an undisclosed Disney project to benefit the charity, Elephants Without Borders. As part of royal regulations, the couple were earlier prohibited from earning a professional income.

BBYTns1.img?h=416&w=799&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=f

Urgent meeting at Sandringham

On Jan. 13, the Queen called for an urgent meeting at the Sandringham Estate in England. As future arrangements are slated to be discussed, Meghan was expected to join in via phone call from Canada, as reported by Associated Press. 

BBYUzL1.img?h=416&w=799&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=f

Prince Harry and Prince William issue statement

The two brothers released a statement of denial on Jan. 13, after a U.K. newspaper reported there was a growing rift between them amid reports of 'bullying'. The statement, issued on their behalf by senior spokespeople, read: "Despite clear denials, a false story ran in a UK newspaper today speculating about the relationship between the Duke of Sussex and the the Duke of Cambridge. For brothers who care so deeply about the issues surrounding mental health, the use of inflammatory language in this way is offensive and potentially harmful."

BBYUI6O.img?h=416&w=799&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=f

Queen says Harry and Meghan to have 'period of transition'

After the urgent meeting at Sandringham on Jan. 13, the queen issued a statement: "My family and I are entirely supportive of Harry and Meghan’s desire to create a new life as a young family. Although we would have preferred them to remain full-time working Members of the Royal Family, we respect and understand their wish to live a more independent life as a family while remaining a valued part of my family. Harry and Meghan have made clear that they do not want to be reliant on public funds in their new lives. It has therefore been agreed that there will be a period of transition in which the Sussexes will spend time in Canada and the UK." 

(Pictured) Queen Elizabeth II, Meghan, Duchess of Sussex and Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex watch a flypast to mark the centenary of the Royal Air Force from the balcony of Buckingham Palace on July 10, 2018 in London, England. 

M got chip on her shoulder?

Tiff with QE?

Anyways, walking away may be a good thing for H. Its the timing.

Then again, the Handsome king would have a superb hand in the next fifty years to come.

The two brothers have excellent relationship. Its their path. Everybody else are passing by.

42 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

Prince Harry and Meghan exit: What we know so far

BBYTGlU.img?h=416&w=799&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=f

Following a six-week Christmas holiday in Vancouver Island, Canada, Prince Harry and Meghan, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, announced that they intend to step back from 'senior' roles in the royal family.

I know exactly how they feel.

I live for 10 long years in England and after visiting Vancouver I also didn't want to live in England anymore and wanted to live in Vancouver but Canada didn't want me.

There are so many reasons why Vancouver is like Paradise and England is like the opposite.

:grin:

Vancouver

image.thumb.png.4e48712de7add4336a19d0a18b07bff7.png

image.png.4a333aa4f3774742f9adf92b8082a701.png

image.png.8279efad3cb56954d0d9f1df7dff5239.png

image.thumb.png.f20aad93dae6c5e3fe4c6c0c37f69f4f.png

↡ Advertisement