Jump to content
awhtc

Move to raise private-hire firms' service, safety standards

Recommended Posts

Move to raise private-hire firms' service, safety standards

PUBLISHED JAN 13, 2020, 5:00 AM SGT

Private-hire cars with deep dents, broken lights, mismatched tyres or which look like they have had a good few years on them are on the way out. But young drivers will remain, for now.

Rules and regulations for the point-to-point (P2P) regulatory framework are being finalised. When effective from June, they are likely to encourage firms to raise their service and safety standards.

...

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/transport/move-to-raise-private-hire-firms-service-safety-standards

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With more stringent compliance cost for PHV, it looks like the cost of PHV car rental could go up and this could hit the drivers.  This is good news for the car inspection centres and workshops though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)

It's high time to have annual inspection.. Coz some phv drivers really.. They met into accident and the damage is not just scratches, but bumper come out, or their tyres drive until almost bold and still don't want change or car got strong vibration while driving and etc.. So annual inspection hopefully will reduce most of these.. 

Don't know why authorities don't want to set minimum age for 30 to drive private hire? If feel that set age 30 and above to drive private hire will affect a lot of drivers who is below 30 years old.. Then set if progressively lor.. Like how authorities set the minimum age for smoking.. Raise 1 year at a time till reach age 30 lor..

Edited by Yewheng
  • Praise 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Yewheng said:

It's high time to have annual inspection.. Coz some phv drivers really.. They met into accident and the damage is not just scratches, but bumper come out, or their tyres drive until almost bold and still don't want change or car got strong vibration while driving and etc.. So annual inspection hopefully will reduce most of these.. 

Don't know why authorities don't want to set minimum age for 30 to drive private hire? If feel that set age 30 and above to drive private hire will affect a lot of drivers who is below 30 years old.. Then set if progressively lor.. Like how authorities set the minimum age for smoking.. Raise 1 year at a time till reach age 30 lor..

You also phv driver.  You know them better than us

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)
6 minutes ago, RogerNg_185295 said:

You also phv driver.  You know them better than us

Actually what LTA knows, we private hire drivers may not know. Coz LTA have statistics we only go by feel.. Like we felt that there are more and more drivers on the road. Maybe LTA statistics says otherwise? That is the difference.. 

Edited by Yewheng
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2
  • Shocked 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)
3 hours ago, Yewheng said:

It's high time to have annual inspection.. Coz some phv drivers really.. They met into accident and the damage is not just scratches, but bumper come out, or their tyres drive until almost bold and still don't want change or car got strong vibration while driving and etc.. So annual inspection hopefully will reduce most of these.. 

Don't know why authorities don't want to set minimum age for 30 to drive private hire? If feel that set age 30 and above to drive private hire will affect a lot of drivers who is below 30 years old.. Then set if progressively lor.. Like how authorities set the minimum age for smoking.. Raise 1 year at a time till reach age 30 lor..

If they set PHV minimum age to 30, then it would become like taxi driver. Think they allowed PHV here is to give more people the flexibility to drive and earn money? Although i agreed that some PHV driver driving really scary. But even some taxi driver driving also scary la. I personally think a person driving can make it or not, really depends on the person driving habits than the person age. I have encountered some old taxi driver ah lao, the way they drive really.. ! Lol.

Edited by 13177
  • Praise 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)

The firms can be very safety concious & outstanding but their drivers CMI on safety also useless ... [shakehead]  

Edited by Picnic06-Biante15
  • Praise 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(edited)
1 hour ago, Picnic06-Biante15 said:

The firms can be very safety concious & outstanding but their drivers CMI on safety also useless ... [shakehead]  

And grab/gojek also not really helping a lot in this situation. Like for grab.. Yes grab have feedback notification and give us warning 3 times before we get suspended for unsafe driving reported by riders. However their answer is generic. So when the answer is generic.. How will drivers know what went wrong with him? The drivers do not know what went wrong, of coz will continue repeat the same mistake.

 

So grab is not helping the situation at all. If want to help, should give us specific details on what went wrong. Like for the case of warning for dangerous driving. Let us driver know what exactly rider feedback that resulted in dangerous driving. Like for example, if rider feedback that driver tailgating a lot. Then the warning reminder message should be we rececied feedback from rider that you are tailgating and that is unsafe driving. This is the 1st reminder and if subsequent unsafe driving flagged out by riders may result in account be suspended. Something along the line and not just give generic answer without going specific on what exactly driver do wrong.

Edited by Yewheng
  • Praise 2
  • Shocked 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)
1 hour ago, 13177 said:

If they set PHV minimum age to 30, then it would become like taxi driver. Think they allowed PHV here is to give more people the flexibility to drive and earn money? Although i agreed that some PHV driver driving really scary. But even some taxi driver driving also scary la. I personally think a person driving can make it or not, really depends on the person driving habits than the person age. I have encountered some old taxi driver ah lao, the way they drive really.. ! Lol.

But phv drivers are taxi drivers, part time or full time. Don't understand why some are in self denial mode.

No difference to me at least.

Edited by badlammy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In Sg, $$$ talks.

The only way to ensure that PHV/taxi drivers to be drive safely is

PAY AS YOU USE insurance.

Bad driving behavior is punished with increase in premium. Or worse, denial of cover.

Good driving behavior is rewarded.

  • Praise 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)
57 minutes ago, badlammy said:

But phv drivers are taxi drivers, part time or full time. Don't understand why some are in self denial mode.

No difference to me at least.

PHV and taxi driver different la. PHV view like more atas taxi driver?! Lol. Same analogy like what is the difference between cabin crew and waiter/waitress? To some people it is the same, no difference cause both jobs also serve food and drinks to customers. 

Edited by 13177

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Yewheng said:

And grab/gojek also not really helping a lot in this situation. Like for grab.. Yes grab have feedback notification and give us warning 3 times before we get suspended for unsafe driving reported by riders. However their answer is generic. So when the answer is generic.. How will drivers know what went wrong with him? The drivers do not know what went wrong, of coz will continue repeat the same mistake.

 

So grab is not helping the situation at all. If want to help, should give us specific details on what went wrong. Like for the case of warning for dangerous driving. Let us driver know what exactly rider feedback that resulted in dangerous driving. Like for example, if rider feedback that driver tailgating a lot. Then the warning reminder message should be we rececied feedback from rider that you are tailgating and that is unsafe driving. This is the 1st reminder and if subsequent unsafe driving flagged out by riders may result in account be suspended. Something along the line and not just give generic answer without going specific on what exactly driver do wrong.

Now then i know even rider feedback to grab/gojek that the driver drive dangerously, and yet grab never talk to the individual driver whats went wrong?! No wonder there are still so many phv driver driving still really cannot make it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, badlammy said:

But phv drivers are taxi drivers, part time or full time. Don't understand why some are in self denial mode.

No difference to me at least.

No difference to me too. Majority of people still look down on them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 13177 said:

Now then i know even rider feedback to grab/gojek that the driver drive dangerously, and yet grab never talk to the individual driver whats went wrong?! No wonder there are still so many phv driver driving still really cannot make it?

I got 2 warnings from Grab.

"we received report that you have been driving dangerously...blah..blah..blah"

I asked Grab CS, where and when, which case ? They wouldn't tell me. Just something vague like that. So how am I going to improve ? What is dangerous driving ? I've never weave in and out of traffic, always stay in lane and queue. Maybe I accelerate a little fast at times, when it was necessary but that particular rider sees it as dangerous or concern about safety.

Since it's all ambiguous, it's not downright dangerous driving as far as I'm concerned. It's a matter of interpretation. From then on, I just drive slow all the time to mitigate such reports.

I'm always aware that there is "TP" sitting inside my car, and all the rules are up to him to decide. Outside where's there's a real TP, they never bother me or summon me.

 

  • Praise 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its about time.

PMD problem tackled.

Now its time for PHVs.

:grin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After PHVs I hope they look into bus drivers.

:grin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And then 60 kmh truck drivers on lane 2 even on PIE with 5 lanes.

:grin:

  • Praise 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This year LTA will kick start the GPS-based ERP. In a way, all driver's errant driving behaviour can be retrieved from the system. So life might be tougher for those who drive for a living.

↡ Advertisement

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×