Feedback on Safe Driving Course

Jamesgetz

4 hours ago, badlammy said:

The best way is drive safely and don't incur anymore demerit points.

I said don't bother because I remember the T&C says if you make another traffic offence, the deducted points will be reinstated on top of your new offence, something along that line.

That's why best is still not make no more mistake and let it reset after a year.

Fully agree on the safe driving part.  I have been driving for abt 20 years and this is the first red light offense I’ve kena.  

I just re-read the letter and it doesn’t say anything about reversing the cancellation of 4 points if kena another offense.    I don’t think that’s the intent or else nobody will go for the course 

↡ Advertisement

5 hours ago, Jamesgetz said:

Recently, I received 12 demerit points for beating a red light.  Subsequently received a letter from TP to take up safe driving course which can cancel off 4 demerit points upon course completion.

Has anyone tried taking the course before?  Is there a test at the end of the session?  Tried looking online for more info but it only says 3.5hr theory session and 50 min practical session.

More info on those who are curious on this course:

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/safe-driving-course-revises-rules-to-help-drivers-cut-4-demerit-9360268

I was in the same situation as you in 2018. Kena blocked by double deck bus, then beat red light. Didn't bother to appeal cos it's pointless. 

A month later, TP sent me letter for Safety Driving Course which will expunge 4 demerit points from record. So went online to register at nearest driving school and paid $130+. I did so because another similar offence within 24mths will warrant a suspension.. 

At the course, about 20 people turned up, mostly are red-light beaters, some were speedsters. The instructor will go thru the lengthy slides on safe driving, basic & final theories which we had "returned" to the school. There is a test which the instructor will "bring us through". He said nobody had failed the test before since he started this course. Lol. 

About the practical lesson, we just wait for our assigned cars to drive. My instructor just asked me to make 2 right turns then I'm back to the driving school. Less than 5mins. Sorry, I dun think it's nice to reveal the driving school. 

Tada!! 4 points deducted. 

After a year plus, the record in Eddies still show that I had attended the course even though my demerit points had reset. Do note that you can only attend this course to reduce your demerit points every 10 years. So consider carefully. 

• Praise 3

6 hours ago, Jamesgetz said:

Recently, I received 12 demerit points for beating a red light.  Subsequently received a letter from TP to take up safe driving course which can cancel off 4 demerit points upon course completion.

Has anyone tried taking the course before?  Is there a test at the end of the session?  Tried looking online for more info but it only says 3.5hr theory session and 50 min practical session.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/safe-driving-course-revises-rules-to-help-drivers-cut-4-demerit-9360268

I heard red light now is 13 point lor.  Is it true ? 12 or 13 ?

1 hour ago, Jamesgetz said:

Nope it’s not.   Costs abt $140

Indirectly you are paying for the 4 demerits points to be deducted off?! Lol.

4 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

1. Likely no test, it is meant to help you.

2. If you pass the test or  after attending the program, you gain 3 points reduction.

3. Even if there is a test and you fail it, you have no loss.

4. If you do nothing and suay suay get another 12 points, you will need to hire a chauffer. 

5. Alternatively, do  nothing, drive safely and pray .

If no attend this course, during the 1 year period, have to drive slowly not to summon with another demerits points offence lo. Or give up driving for 1 year. Hiring a chauffeur? I always wonder how much to pay for a chauffeur ah?

Edited by 13177

(edited)
1 hour ago, Optramagnum said:

I was in the same situation as you in 2018. Kena blocked by double deck bus, then beat red light. Didn't bother to appeal cos it's pointless. 

A month later, TP sent me letter for Safety Driving Course which will expunge 4 demerit points from record. So went online to register at nearest driving school and paid $130+. I did so because another similar offence within 24mths will warrant a suspension.. 

At the course, about 20 people turned up, mostly are red-light beaters, some were speedsters. The instructor will go thru the lengthy slides on safe driving, basic & final theories which we had "returned" to the school. There is a test which the instructor will "bring us through". He said nobody had failed the test before since he started this course. Lol. 

About the practical lesson, we just wait for our assigned cars to drive. My instructor just asked me to make 2 right turns then I'm back to the driving school. Less than 5mins. Sorry, I dun think it's nice to reveal the driving school. 

Tada!! 4 points deducted. 

After a year plus, the record in Eddies still show that I had attended the course even though my demerit points had reset. Do note that you can only attend this course to reduce your demerit points every 10 years. So consider carefully. 

Thanks so much for sharing your experience!   

Edited by Jamesgetz

4 minutes ago, 13177 said:

Indirectly you are paying for the 4 demerits points to be deducted off?! Lol.

Haha...  yup, you are right.  Besides the $, also need to spend about 5 hours on theory + practical.  

42 minutes ago, Apple-Tree said:

I heard red light now is 13 point lor.  Is it true ? 12 or 13 ?

Maybe if you speed plus beat red light while digging your nose and flicking out of the window ?  Lol...

beating red light is 12 demerit point 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

12 hours ago, Jamesc said:

The only way left is to stop every time its red whether got camera or not.

This is the only choice left.

:grin:

Driving can be so difficult.

That's why my "2nd car" is now Grab

• Praise 1

10 hours ago, Jamesgetz said:

Haha...  yup, you are right.  Besides the $, also need to spend about 5 hours on theory + practical.  

Sounds quite bo hwa lo. Lol.

3 minutes ago, 13177 said:

Sounds quite bo hwa lo. Lol.

Depends on how you look at it.  $140 + 5 hrs of time to cancel 4 demerit points.   Though it’s only 4 points, this can prevent licence suspension if kena another red light offence.  It’s more like buying insurance...

• Praise 1

I speak for myself. Attend anger management course is more effective. We all know how to drive safely and usually in good mood we want to. Sometimes its just triggered by some other events on the road.

While i have not attended anger mgmt course, i had placed my son's father day card at my window visor and i would touch it when i think i am losing my steadiness.

• Praise 4

14 minutes ago, Columbian78 said:

I speak for myself. Attend anger management course is more effective. We all know how to drive safely and usually in good mood we want to. Sometimes its just triggered by some other events on the road.

While i have not attended anger mgmt course, i had placed my son's father day card at my window visor and i would touch it when i think i am losing my steadiness.

Agreed, anger management and stress management course are more effective. If a person managed to handle well on their stress and emotions during driving, and it would not lead to doing things that will hurt others people and ownself.

On 1/14/2020 at 6:12 PM, Ct3833 said:

1. Likely no test, it is meant to help you.

2. If you pass the test or  after attending the program, you gain 3 points reduction.

3. Even if there is a test and you fail it, you have no loss.

4. If you do nothing and suay suay get another 12 points, you will need to hire a chauffer. 

5. Alternatively, do  nothing, drive safely and pray .

Just want to check, do they use auto car for the practical ? 20 years never drive manual car liao.

19 hours ago, Craz said:

Just want to check, do they use auto car for the practical ? 20 years never drive manual car liao.

I think it is just paper test, not driving test. 

On 1/14/2020 at 3:43 PM, Jamesgetz said:

2 years ago I kanna and took the course. No worries as at the end sure pass. Don't need to study anything before attend.

2 minutes ago, BobbyTan_74287 said:

2 years ago I kanna and took the course. No worries as at the end sure pass. Don't need to study anything before attend.

As the instructor stayed near my area, I drove home and he drove back to School.

↡ Advertisement