Not-At-Fault Claims Affect Insurance Premiums

Nutty

My car is turning 3 soon, and due for insurance renewal.

For the past 3 years, I kena hit-n-run twice when parked stationary at carparks. Both times, I managed to successfully claim from the culprits.

I understand not-at-fault claims are likely to increase insurance premiums. But my car was parked stationary and I was not even in the car. It's not caused by aggressive driving behaviours.

Do insurance companies review the situations that resulted in the no-at-fault claims on a case by case basis? 

↡ Advertisement

1 hour ago, Nutty said:

For the past 3 years, I kena hit-n-run twice when parked stationary at carparks. Both times, I managed to successfully claim from the culprits.

I understand not-at-fault claims are likely to increase insurance premiums. But my car was parked stationary and I was not even in the car. It's not caused by aggressive driving behaviours.

Do insurance companies review the situations that resulted in the no-at-fault claims on a case by case basis? 

Not at fault claim should not affect your premium and NCD. For some insurance companies, they don't even have the option to declare not at fault claims for last 3 yrs. Lol

From the insurance company point of view, they will tend determine what kind of driver they are insuring, based on the number of at fault claims and demerit points. 

• Praise 1

14 minutes ago, Optramagnum said:

Not at fault claim should not affect your premium and NCD. For some insurance companies, they don't even have the option to declare not at fault claims for last 3 yrs. Lol

From the insurance company point of view, they will tend determine what kind of driver they are insuring, based on the number of at fault claims and demerit points. 

Some companies like DirectAsia requests me to declare not-at-fault claims, while others don't. Guess those who don't will not consider that as a risk.

Googled a bit, and I found out not-at-fault claims may impact premiums in other countries as well. What a twisted logic.

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Nutty said:

Some companies like DirectAsia requests me to declare not-at-fault claims, while others don't. Guess those who don't will not consider that as a risk.

Googled a bit, and I found out not-at-fault claims may impact premiums in other countries as well. What a twisted logic.

Guess there is nothing much u can do except to compare quotes from different insurers, regardless they want u to list not at fault claims or not.

There is very little control over what the insurance companies do in Singapore. The only certainties are that 1) every road-going vehicle must have mandatory third-party insurance 2) that third party insurance has to cover injury/death of third parties no matter what. Everything else is "up for grabs", so to speak.

And this is one of those "grey areas". You could argue that it's unfair that you're penalised when you seem to be a completely innocent victim. But when compared to someone else who's had zero claims of any sort, you're still a higher risk. The question is whether past risk translates to future risk. You would argue "no", but the insurance company could also argue that you frequently park in higher risk spots - maybe it's poor design that contributed to people hitting your car, maybe it's a late night hangout where inebriated drivers may hit your car, etc. Or maybe it's just an ill-defined "suay" thing, although they can't say that I guess. But they don't really have to justify themselves to the consumers. It's a "take it or leave it" situation.

• Praise 10

4 hours ago, Nutty said:

Juz to share; I made a hit & run claim b4 to AIG. Parked in carpark parallel lot. Kena sideswiped. Make polis report and brought back to C&C Merc for repair claim against own policy. Given a E200 loan car for 2 weeks. Was told total bill exceeded $20k. My NCD was intact with no loading on the next renewal. Subsequent insurer oso never load.  

(edited)
38 minutes ago, UncleAtas said:

not at fault. Both claims got video evidence that the car is stationary and no one pilot it?

Yup. For both claims, I produced video evidence to both TP and insurance companies. 

One happened at a parallel parking lot. The other at my MSCP. 

Unless we park at a solo lot or private house, I can't find a less risky place to park. 

Edited by Nutty

(edited)
26 minutes ago, UncleAtas said:

You did not mention. So what's ur estimated renewal cost?

I have various quotes ranging in the $600++ region.

My current premium is only $563. My current insurer quoted me $680 for renewal. So I suspect the increase was due to my not-at-fault claims.

Edited by Nutty
  • Haha! 1

2 hours ago, Soya said:

Juz to share; I made a hit & run claim b4 to AIG. Parked in carpark parallel lot. Kena sideswiped. Make polis report and brought back to C&C Merc for repair claim against own policy. Given a E200 loan car for 2 weeks. Was told total bill exceeded $20k. My NCD was intact with no loading on the next renewal. Subsequent insurer oso never load.  

Just curious if it is DUI case (a drunk hit your vehicle), can you claim on your own policy and not result in this affecting your NCD? 

Not directing the question specifically to you Read in another tread you can claim on own insurance but not the culprit's policy (understand the concept of illegality) but NCD will be affected. Don't quite make sense given the outcome of your claim.

5 hours ago, Xers007 said:

This is one of the dark industry, openly they say no loading but secretly load you you also dont know lah.

I agree which is oso why i dun like the attitude where not at fault must instantly try to maximize claims. End of the day all these insurance co. average out their costs and calculate the average payouts so that it comes back onto our premium eventually. Their profit come from making sure what they collect is more than what they pay out so end of the day if they are paying out more they also wanna collect more

56 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

Just curious if it is DUI case (a drunk hit your vehicle), can you claim on your own policy and not result in this affecting your NCD? 

Not directing the question specifically to you Read in another tread you can claim on own insurance but not the culprit's policy (understand the concept of illegality) but NCD will be affected. Don't quite make sense given the outcome of your claim.

Sounds logical. Insurer can legally siam responsibility if insured did illegal act such as DUI

If claim against own policy or even making an accident report against another vehicle, usually NCD will be withheld pending investigation coz the other party might be claiming against yours. Whether eventually NCD reinstated after DUI case investigation conclude, I not sure.

But I think the charged DUI driver will not only kena deny cover by his/her own insurer for own damage but potentially also kena claim by your insurer for monies incurred by your claim against your policy. Jialat

At fault or not...once a claim is filed...DLLM insurance will tel u that based on your eight characters, five elements, zodiac sign etc that you are a magnet for six evil stars to cum at you...therefore have to load you up...

not I say one...overheard a gland fengshui master at kpt said one hor 

I mean grand...

• Haha! 4

8 hours ago, Nutty said:

What if there were no claims by all parties, just accident reports, will premium be affected?

3 hours ago, Nutty said:

I have various quotes ranging in the $600++ region.

My current premium is only $563. My current insurer quoted me $680 for renewal. So I suspect the increase was due to my not-at-fault claims.

I do realize that there is increase of premium(about $100) from the insurance companies which I usually gotten quotations from. My current company has increased the lowest excess from $600 to $750.

I guess there are too many accident claims last year. 

Edited by Optramagnum
↡ Advertisement