Not-At-Fault Claims Affect Insurance Premiums

Nutty

1 hour ago, Soya said:

Sounds logical. Insurer can legally siam responsibility if insured did illegal act such as DUI

If claim against own policy or even making an accident report against another vehicle, usually NCD will be withheld pending investigation coz the other party might be claiming against yours. Whether eventually NCD reinstated after DUI case investigation conclude, I not sure.

But I think the charged DUI driver will not only kena deny cover by his/her own insurer for own damage but potentially also kena claim by your insurer for monies incurred by your claim against your policy. Jialat

Yalor, don’t make sense if NCD is not reinstated.  It will just encourage people to falsely declare it as hit and run. 

I know of someone, YOLO type, who had to declare bankruptcy after he totaled his expensive sports car, back when high loan is common (luckily noone was seriously injured), after a few drinks. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

You should never report a drunk driver who hit your car because his insurance will not cover you. Do a private settlement.

And if you are not drunk and hit another car but don't report the case, your insurer will not entertain the other party's claims and your NCD will not be affected.

Just some loop holes to note. 

31 minutes ago, Vinceng said:

You should never report a drunk driver who hit your car because his insurance will not cover you. Do a private settlement.

And if you are not drunk and hit another car but don't report the case, your insurer will not entertain the other party's claims and your NCD will not be affected.

Don't report? With car cam everywhere, this is not much of a loop hole especially if it is your fault.  

If it is your fault, take ownership lah. 

42 minutes ago, Vinceng said:

The highlighted part is just GIA guidelines ONLY.

If party at fault insurer deny your claims, report to MAS.

That's what Nutty had done.

Don't entertain this kind of BS.  Tekan MAS kao kao.

18 hours ago, Nutty said:

I have various quotes ranging in the $600++ region.

My current premium is only $563. My current insurer quoted me $680 for renewal. So I suspect the increase was due to my not-at-fault claims.

It is likely due to increase in motor claims.

My premium was increased in 2019 renewal.  Broker managed to lower it.

16 hours ago, Soya said:

Sounds logical. Insurer can legally siam responsibility if insured did illegal act such as DUI

If claim against own policy or even making an accident report against another vehicle, usually NCD will be withheld pending investigation coz the other party might be claiming against yours. Whether eventually NCD reinstated after DUI case investigation conclude, I not sure.

But I think the charged DUI driver will not only kena deny cover by his/her own insurer for own damage but potentially also kena claim by your insurer for monies incurred by your claim against your policy. Jialat

Recovery of amount from DUI individual has to go to the court.  It may take some years.  In addition, the recovered amount may be lesser than the cost.

The easiest route is not to seek recovery and penalise the victim.

29 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

My friends encounter higher premium renewal too. Sigh... guessed there are just too many reckless drivers in SG.

26 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Recovery of amount from DUI individual has to go to the court.  It may take some years.  In addition, the recovered amount may be lesser than the cost.

The easiest route is not to seek recovery and penalise the victim.

A fair system would mandate that the deep pockets (that can afford an army of lawyers) - namely the insurance company of DUI insured is the one that takes their own client to court to recover damages - after promptly paying out to the victim for both injury and vehicular damage.

This is a fair system because the insured is in breach of his insurer's terms, and the correct response would be for the insurer to seek redress from their client. Insurers can generally afford to bring suit and see it through.

The victim has no contract with the insured or their insurer. And given the victim is not at fault, it is unjust to involve their own (victim's) insurer as well.

Instead of the fair system above, our system is manifestly unfair and unjust, doubly penalising the victim. Private victims would not often have the means to see through a case, and would still lose out overall due to court costs (so it could be even more than a double penalty).

One of the many ways the SG system is very, very flawed.

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 2

1 minute ago, Turboflat4 said:

A fair system would mandate that the deep pockets (that can afford an army of lawyers) - namely the insurance company of DUI insured is the one that takes their own client to court to recover damages - after promptly paying out to the victim for both injury and vehicular damage.

This is a fair system because the insured is in breach of his insurer's terms, and the correct response would be for the insurer to seek redress from their client.

The victim has no contract with the insured or their insurer. And given the victim is not at fault, it is unjust to involve their own (victim's) insurer as well.

Instead of the fair system above, our system is manifestly unfair and unjust, doubly (and possibly trebly - accident, self-claim, protracted court case with further monetary loss) penalising the victim.

One of the many ways the SG system is very, very flawed.

As i said previously, our MAS is f up.

in countries like Malaysia and India, insurer of culprit has to compensate the victim regardless whether the act is legal or illegal.

We need a MP to ask the relevant minister this question.

5 minutes ago, Nutty said:

My friends encounter higher premium renewal too. Sigh... guessed there are just too many reckless drivers in SG.

If you have been with the insurer since day 1, see whether you can push them to lower the premium.  Otherwise, jump ship.

LTA required vehicle to have insurance coverage in order to renew roadtax. but the insurer can deny liability if the driver is drink driving etc.

So what's the point of LTA insisting insurance coverage if insurer can siam? 

• Praise 1

On 1/16/2020 at 3:30 PM, Sx4falcon said:

LTA required vehicle to have insurance coverage in order to renew roadtax. but the insurer can deny liability if the driver is drink driving etc.

No point lor. It's giving drunk drivers a free pass off if they get into accidents. Very unfair as drink driving is perfectly within the control of the driver, unlike other conditions like flood or act of god.

On 1/16/2020 at 3:30 PM, Sx4falcon said:

Under Road Traffic Act, minimum coverage is 3rd party liability.

If an accident caused by illegal (like drink driving), insurer of party at fault cannot deny body injury claims.  This is stipulated by law.

Only property claims can be rejected.  Without sufficient number of ppl complaint, no action will be taken.

Guyz, the sillypore system only favours the rich and powerful. U complain to MAS, LTA, PAP and others, u will see the crap reason they give u.

Just drive safe and pray others also drive safe cos how others drive u cant control

(edited)

I have just renewed insurance with DirectAsia.

Its website quoted additional $75 premium for my two not-at-fault claims. Called and spoke to a customer service officer and requested their underwriter to review my situation.

As a result, they "waived" the additional $75 premium charged for the not-at-fault claims as my car was parked stationary at MSCP both times.

Those in similar situation may wish to do the same for your renewal. This deal is further sweetened by $150 (CNY promo) + $25 (referral) CapitaLand vouchers.

Edited by Nutty
  • Praise 3

16 hours ago, alex976 said:

Guyz, the sillypore system only favours the rich and powerful. U complain to MAS, LTA, PAP and others, u will see the crap reason they give u.

Just drive safe and pray others also drive safe cos how others drive u cant control

Don’t complain, nothing will be done.

I am Complain King. I complain govt.

Neutral Newbie
On 1/16/2020 at 9:40 AM, Vinceng said:

Correction on this fact. DUI is under exclusion of the policy is correct but should the driver got involved in a accident with a third party, usually insurer will react to Third Party Claim, Own Damage might declined under exclusion.

On 1/16/2020 at 9:40 AM, Vinceng said:

Neutral Newbie
On 1/16/2020 at 10:27 AM, inlinesix said:

That's only part of the reason why there are increase in overall motor premium throughout the market. The other reason is some insurers are under cutting, unable to maintain motor portfolio with that kind of premium thus the increase of premium even if you are accident free. Premium keep dropping but cost keep rising, how can?

↡ Advertisement