Ban employers from asking about previous salaries

Wt_know

AWARE ... wan sui wan sui wan wan sui ... no $20K no talk ... :a-panic:

2020-01-16_114511.jpg

2020-01-16_114443.jpg

Edited by Wt_know
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

True, ban employers from asking previous salary can prevent employer continue to offer low salary as previous employer. This should apply to everyone lo. 

• Praise 3

I think if someone is worth his salt, employers will be ok to pay them what they ask regardless. Else they will lose said person to another company. 

• Praise 5

The only reason why hiring companies wan to know your last pay is to take chance to low ball the offer pay. 

They wont pay someone 10k, even though they got the budget, when they know the last pay was only 6k. 

They will just low ball, just to match or lesser the last pay. 

So yeah,  ban this. 

• Praise 4

1 hour ago, Wt_know said:

AWARE ... wan sui wan sui wan wan sui ... no $20K no talk ... :a-panic:

2020-01-16_114511.jpg

2020-01-16_114443.jpg

agree......the nastiest interviewer i have ever came across throughout my career,  one of them actually rebuked me with the comment "you feel that you deserve a pay raise" when i put an expected higher salary than my current.

that company was Aztech holdings and i believe it is year 1999/2000

• Praise 5

wah...hows the job interview situation nowadays?

havent been to an interview for the last 14 years if i remember correctly

😬😅

43 minutes ago, Jusnel said:

The only reason why hiring companies wan to know your last pay is to take chance to low ball the offer pay. 

They wont pay someone 10k, even though they got the budget, when they know the last pay was only 6k. 

They will just low ball, just to match or lesser the last pay. 

So yeah,  ban this. 

You are right. Even though company might have the budget but they would want to pay the person with the minimum market rate salary lo. This is why they need to know your previous salary, they would not pay according to the asking pay and experience de.

Edited by 13177
  • Praise 1

(edited)
17 minutes ago, Enye said:

wah...hows the job interview situation nowadays?

havent been to an interview for the last 14 years if i remember correctly

😬😅

must ask T2 ... go interview with 3pc suit, pointy shoes and a full gold diamond rolex ... for a butcher job

if you are the interviewer ... you dare to lowball? [laugh] 

Edited by Wt_know
  • Haha! 6

24 minutes ago, Acemundo said:

agree......the nastiest interviewer i have ever came across throughout my career,  one of them actually rebuked me with the comment "you feel that you deserve a pay raise" when i put an expected higher salary than my current.

that company was Aztech holdings and i believe it is year 1999/2000

All employer the same de, they would think why you deserve so much pay raise as compared to your previous salary. And yet they do not see if your previous salary is way too low or not. So some people if they started with a low salary, even though they have work for 10-20 years, their salary still would not increased much, cause employer would pay close to previous salary.

• Praise 2

5 minutes ago, Wt_know said:

must ask T2 ... go interview with 3pcs suit, pointy shoes and a full gold diamond rolex ... for a butcher job

Interviewer confirmed lowball cause see you so rich, no need to pay high salary liao. Imagine if you go to a company for an interview for an executive level or even assistant job driving a luxury brand car, employer would have the impression that you are rich and might not need this job or give you high salary la.

(edited)
8 minutes ago, 13177 said:

All employer the same de, they would think why you deserve so much pay raise as compared to your previous salary. And yet they do not see if your previous salary is way too low or not. So some people if they started with a low salary, even though they have work for 10-20 years, their salary still would not increased much, cause employer would pay close to previous salary.

what if a person jiak liao bee come out from GLC ... no $20k no talk previously

and now want to get same previous salary in private ... LOL

so previous salary is a good benchmark? [sly] 

Edited by Wt_know
  • Haha! 1

17 minutes ago, Wt_know said:

must ask T2 ... go interview with 3pc suit, pointy shoes and a full gold diamond rolex ... for a butcher job

wah...dunno leh boss

i never interview anyone in my life.  peasant storeman nia

😢

11 minutes ago, Wt_know said:

what if a person jiak liao bee come out from GLC ... no $20k no talk previously

and now want to get same previous salary in private ... LOL

so previous salary is a good benchmark? [sly] 

According to gahmen, their salaries are supposed to be commensurate or representative of what they can get in the private sector right? 

Right? 😂

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 3

1 hour ago, 13177 said:

True, ban employers from asking previous salary can prevent employer continue to offer low salary as previous employer. This should apply to everyone lo. 

Also need to consider the other side too. Employers don't have unlimited budget to hire someone. If it was unlimited then hiring would be easy. 

If a candidates current salary is above employer budget then why waste the time going through the interview process if you find out at the end: "sorry too expensive". Waste of time for both parties. 

As an employee also, need to remember hiring is two-way street. Important that employee knows they can dictate their worth and they don't have to accept an offer, no one is forcing them. Many times I've seen employees actually apply to several companies and get them in a bidding war too. Make employers sianz also. 

• Praise 1

22 minutes ago, Wt_know said:

Dun say lowball, the interviewer may land up buying his lolek instead at a record price. That's why he MCF sifu mah

The way I see it...can cut both ways as well...if Ramesh is out of job but used to draw 66k...with this new rule..the next employer can look the other way and just offer 4K....take it or leave it...

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 3