Ban employers from asking about previous salaries

Wt_know

1 hour ago, Enye said:

wah...hows the job interview situation nowadays?

havent been to an interview for the last 14 years if i remember correctly

😬😅

wah you got yourselves an iron rice bowl [thumbsup]

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1

If someone used to be earning 150K, but the budget for this position only pays 100-120K per annum, I'd be concerned if this new hire can stay in the job or not.

However, the flipside is, if this guy is earning 60K per annum and this job pays 100-120K per annum, I'd be concerned if this person's experience is indeed what he is claiming to be.

I think asking about payslip is a little intrusive, but it's still fine to be asking about the ballpark figure of the annual package. Yes... someone can say the candidate can lie, but again, anyone can lie about his previous experience as well right?

Edited by Rickster
  • Praise 1

(edited)
9 minutes ago, Jman888 said:

wah you got yourselves an iron rice bowl [thumbsup]

he is the BOWL ... own time own target ... suka suka ownself declare 12mths bonuses ... lol

Edited by Wt_know

53 minutes ago, Kyrios said:

The way I see it...can cut both ways as well...if Ramesh is out of job but used to draw 66k...with this new rule..the next employer can look the other way and just offer 4K....take it or leave it...

stingy sme bosses yes

mncs would just pay the candidate based on their internal pay range for the job....regardless candidate's present compensation

easier to account internally for their own inflated pay

🤣

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

24 minutes ago, Rickster said:

If someone used to be earning 150K, but the budget for this position only pays 100-120K per annum, I'd be concerned if this new hire can stay in the job or not.

However, the flipside is, if this guy is earning 60K per annum and this job pays 100-120K per annum, I'd be concerned if this person's experience is indeed what he is claiming to be.

I think asking about payslip is a little intrusive, but it's still fine to be asking about the ballpark figure of the annual package. Yes... someone can say the candidate can lie, but again, anyone can lie about his previous experience as well right?

So ask for payslip confirmed cannot lie? Lol.

9 minutes ago, Tkseah said:

Last time I go interview the HR always ask to see payslip.. any nice way to reject the request?

Can tell them you have lost all you payslip?! [:p] Anyway, if the company request to see payslip, if you did not give them your payslip, no matter how nice you reject their request, maybe the company might suspect you have something to hide?

3 hours ago, Enye said:

stingy sme bosses yes

mncs would just pay the candidate based on their internal pay range for the job....regardless candidate's present compensation

easier to account internally for their own inflated pay

🤣

Yes, my friend moved from an SME to an MNC and was offered a 50% pay raise without negotiation. He wanted only 20%. Happy like fxxk but it also means he was underpaid for like 10 years.  

Big MNCs usually have a comp and ben person setting those range. They pay based on the role and not your current package.  

Edited by Voodooman

1 hour ago, Voodooman said:

Yes, my friend moved from an SME to an MNC and was offered a 50% pay raise without negotiation. He wanted only 20%. Happy like fxxk but it also means he was underpaid for like 10 years.  

Big MNCs usually have a comp and ben person setting those range. They pay based on the role and not your current package.  

I believe many people underpaid by their company, even in MNCs.

(edited)
25 minutes ago, 13177 said:

aberthen ... if not ... how to support the top 1% vvip senior management sitting in ivory tower?

it is an open secret the top 10% salary = bottom 90% salary ... ?

Edited by Wt_know
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, 13177 said:

It is demand and supply. If you think you are underpaid but can't negotiate for better pay coz you have no leverage with your boss and you also can't get a better offer elsewhere and leave for greener pastures, you are deemed to be paid "market" actually.  So in theory, very few people are underpaid.  

Just kidding, it really depends on which job bucket you are talking about? 😅

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 2

4 hours ago, Voodooman said:

Your friend is very lucky to have met such a nice company and HR team. No happening in my ex-coy though. The HR manager would try his best to lower the offer package, even when it is well within the budget.

The HR team even go into detailing the exact basic pay, allowances, bonuses, and other perk. Example:

• Basic pay => $2000/mth
  • Allowances => $1000/mth
  • Bonus (AWS + VB) => 2 months
  • Total annual package (including 17% CPF) => $44,760

HR will then offer $2,800/mth!! In case you are wondering how can the offer package be lower than the original, well my "creative" or should I say super calculative HR have this explanation: Now with a basic pay of $2,900 (which the coy will pay full 17% CPF), the basic pay is almost matching the candidate last drawn, and plus the additional $1.8K bonus + 17% CPF, the net increment is >6% liao...😬

• Basic pay => $2900/mth
  • Total annual package (including 17% CPF) => $47,502

• Praise 8
  • Shocked 1

8 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

Your friend is very lucky to have met such a nice company and HR team. No happening in my ex-coy though. The HR manager would try his best to lower the offer package, even when it is well within the budget.

The HR team even go into detailing the exact basic pay, allowances, bonuses, and other perk. Example:

• Basic pay => $2000/mth
  • Allowances => $1000/mth
  • Total annual package (including 17% CPF) => $44,760

HR will then offer $2,800/mth!! In case you are wondering how can the offer package be lower than the original, well my "creative" or should I say super calculative HR have this explanation: Now with a basic pay of $2,900 (which the coy will pay full 17% CPF), the basic pay is almost matching the candidate last drawn, and plus the additional $1.8K bonus + 17% CPF, the net increment is >6% liao...😬

• Basic pay => $2900/mth
  • Total annual package (including 17% CPF) => $47,502

Yes he is very lucky and that is why few who joined this MNC leave voluntarily but there is also not much job security in recent years.

I wonder how does this work? I thought everything is PDPA so how to find out your last drawn salary leh? You can say $66k, it if for the hiring company to decide if they willing to pay or not. Of course don't price yourself out of the market haha

In large companies like MNCs and listed companies, the last drawn payslip is just a formality for the hiring manager to laugh over vs the budget set for the role. 

I have seen very out of the world last drawn salary payslip and in the end the offer that comes out of HR still has to go through internal equity pegged to seniority. Take it or leave it.

SMEs different story.... The director/CEO can decide to pay $5-10k/mth to his mistress as his PA on his whims. 

22 minutes ago, Vratenza said:

In large companies like MNCs and listed companies, the last drawn payslip is just a formality for the hiring manager to laugh over vs the budget set for the role. 

I have seen very out of the world last drawn salary payslip and in the end the offer that comes out of HR still has to go through internal equity pegged to seniority. Take it or leave it.

SMEs different story.... The director/CEO can decide to pay $5-10k/mth to his mistress as his PA on his whims. 

My company has quite a bit of flexiblility in setting offer... the hr usually will take the advice of the hiring manager.

for me, when I first started hiring, I tried to give as little as possible to attract that guy.

now, I try to give as much as possible , subjected to hr and internal equity. 
my last two offers, the candidates were Super happy with the first offer, no bargaining like wet market.

↡ Advertisement