2020 Sad to say tampered mileage cars still exist

TheCarDealer

6 hours ago, TeamAMG69 said:

so easy? 

AD never check ?

AD also hope that their car sells well in the second-hand market so that new cars will be easier to sell.

Once I made a call to Mercedes, they refused to provide any details even though the person that I was speaking to has the data. He will only give one vague clue to me.

↡ Advertisement

59 minutes ago, andrewyewkc said:

AD also hope that their car sells well in the second-hand market so that new cars will be easier to sell.

Once I made a call to Mercedes, they refused to provide any details even though the person that I was speaking to has the data. He will only give one vague clue to me.

what vague clue ?

2 hours ago, andrewyewkc said:

AD also worry PDPA mah.. after you go and pichar lobang, KPKB on mileage, 2nd hand dealer sue AD kanna for DATA disclosure then how?

side track.. even before PDPA, got one magazine hosted a drive away. Wife spotted a photo in the magazine of the hubby and the small 3 for  3 days 2 night driving event. 

Needless to say, divorce liao and some more don't need to find PI to check on hubby.

Hubby sue mag for not getting his release consent to publish.

Edited by Sdf4786k
  • Haha! 4

2 hours ago, Sdf4786k said:

AD also worry PDPA mah.. after you go and pichar lobang, KPKB on mileage, 2nd hand dealer sue AD kanna for DATA disclosure then how?

side track.. even before PDPA, got one magazine hosted a drive away. Wife spotted a photo in the magazine of the hubby and the small 3 for  3 days 2 night driving event. 

Needless to say, divorce liao and some more don't need to find PI to check on hubby.

Hubby sue mag for not getting his release consent to publish.

aiyoh with small 3 how to go such event!?!!? hee..

Just now, Ody_2004 said:

aiyoh with small 3 how to go such event!?!!? hee..

I suppose some people feel the wife is dumb and ignorant.

As they say, when luck meet opportunity, it's a powerful potent.

Neutral Newbie
9 hours ago, Ihave3Ballz said:

Just saw my old traded-in ride, handover from dealer to dealer, then suddenly millage cut in half. Hiaz.

Same for my case as well. Sold my ride in last Oct, 1st dealer put it up for export or bidding shortly with my actual mileage. It was sold to another dealer after which the 2nd dealer tampered the mileage by 100k km and sold as consignment unit to 'escape' the lemon law. I felt sorry for the new buyer and wishes him/her good luck.  

• Praise 2

5 minutes ago, Falcon77 said:

Same for my case as well. Sold my ride in last Oct, 1st dealer put it up for export or bidding shortly with my actual mileage. It was sold to another dealer after which the 2nd dealer tampered the mileage by 100k km and sold as consignment unit to 'escape' the lemon law. I felt sorry for the new buyer and wishes him/her good luck.  

Dun say high mileage. One of my previous car only had 58k mileage for 3 yr old car. Not high. Greedy used car dealer still tweak to 38k, advertised as 'underutilised' and sold within a few days

That was over 10 yrs ago. That's why I laugh when some MCFers think polis or gahmen agency will bother to do something altho odo tampering has been going on for ages...

• Praise 1

35 minutes ago, Soya said:

Dun say high mileage. One of my previous car only had 58k mileage for 3 yr old car. Not high. Greedy used car dealer still tweak to 38k, advertised as 'underutilised' and sold within a few days

That was over 10 yrs ago. That's why I laugh when some MCFers think polis or gahmen agency will bother to do something altho odo tampering has been going on for ages...

How can you say 58k mileage for a 3 year old car is not high? It works out to be 19-20K per year. Low is below 10k per year.

The best, simplest and most efficient way - simply record the mileage at every inspection. It's easy to do - here in NZ is done every car 

AD service records available with the car should also be a norm rather than an exception - would be good if buyer were smart and marked down a car without proper records 

• Praise 1

14 minutes ago, Sunset73 said:

How can you say 58k mileage for a 3 year old car is not high? It works out to be 19-20K per year. Low is below 10k per year.

In Sg, if u think you're buying a used car w 10k annual mileage, you're a victim of odo tampering...

• Haha! 1

17 hours ago, TeamAMG69 said:

what vague clue ?

I had to ask the C&C guy on the phone something like "Is it above 100,000km and below 200,000km?" and he gave a yes. Better than nothing.

• Praise 1

11 hours ago, Ihave3Ballz said:

Just saw my old traded-in ride, handover from dealer to dealer, then suddenly millage cut in half. Hiaz.

This dealer is still quite ethical, some will go below 40%. 😀

Once I was test driving a beautiful used mercedes in impeccable condition that was used to shuttle between singapore and KL and my wife wanted to buy it. It just arrived and the odo showed 260,000km. I told my wife that it is ridiculous to change from a 240,000km car (my car COE finished) to another car with 260,000km. During the test drive I asked the dealer if they tamper with the odo and they sumpah that they will never do such an unethical thing. The next week this same car was advertised for 78,000km by the same dealer.

Edited by andrewyewkc
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

1 hour ago, Sunset73 said:

If not high, dealers would not tamper with it already.  

1 hour ago, Sunset73 said:

Its normal annual mileage for most vehicles in SG bro.

We have the most expensive car prices on this planet. When you can afford a car, of cos u want to use it whenever you can. Hence this kind of mileage for such a tiny country.

No one would park their >$100k car in the carpark 7 days a week 'to keep the running cost' to a min. Like that you are better off taking PHV or public transport. 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Last time when ODO meter was analogue type, people told me next time when newer cars come with digital ODO no way to temper the mileage. And then few years later, I heard the same story that conti cars very hard to temper with the mileage due to the computer and what not. Today, tempering with mileage is so common, regardless of Jap or Conti cars. Sami chia also can temper. Power sia.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

6 minutes ago, Roh96 said:

Last time when ODO meter was analogue type, people told me next time when newer cars come with digital ODO no way to temper the mileage. And then few years later, I heard the same story that conti cars very hard to temper with the mileage due to the computer and what not. Today, tempering with mileage is so common, regardless of Jap or Conti cars. Sami chia also can temper. Power sia.

Frankly I don't blame any of the dealers because this is already an industry practice. Some will starve if they don't do it. Only the authorities an change this but this is much trouble and little money to be made so they just concentrate on selling COEs.

19 minutes ago, Roh96 said:

My post.. So conti car.. No worries, still can be tampered.. 

So I think buy used car.. Don't bother too much about mileage. Most important is to look out for and respray before. Like for example if the color tone at the passenger side door is different from the others or there is a tell-tale sign of respray from the paint coating difference when open the bonnet. Also look out for any oil leak in engine bay, if engine bay looks too clean and new (be very careful as old car should not look like it's brand new in engine bay). Look for the headlight casing, if there is tone difference between the left and right side, then high chance one of it had been replaced (the one that look newer). Basically a car must look what it matches for the whole car.. If certain part stand out a little bit more be it this part look a little bit more shiny then others or this part paint like a little bit off from others or this part seems more dull then others.. All all the signs that buyers should avoid buying. 

Edited by Yewheng
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1