2020 Sad to say tampered mileage cars still exist

TheCarDealer

Want to buy used car, be prepared to accept the risk. No choice.

This happened to my family as well. Bought a used Audi, everything looked sui sui, paintwork, interior, low mileage etc..you name. Upon sending in for first servicing, was told by the mechanic that the ODO has been tempered. I don't know how, but he could see from his computer when he plucked in to read the data. What to do? Just have to accept it lah, mostly imptly the car is not giving any major problems consider happy liao.

↡ Advertisement

1 hour ago, Roh96 said:

Last time when ODO meter was analogue type, people told me next time when newer cars come with digital ODO no way to temper the mileage. And then few years later, I heard the same story that conti cars very hard to temper with the mileage due to the computer and what not. Today, tempering with mileage is so common, regardless of Jap or Conti cars. Sami chia also can temper. Power sia.

Simi difficult? Juz type in "how to adjust odometer" on YouTube. Plenty of free instructions there

1 hour ago, andrewyewkc said:

Frankly I don't blame any of the dealers because this is already an industry practice. Some will starve if they don't do it. Only the authorities an change this but this is much trouble and little money to be made so they just concentrate on selling COEs.

Got chenghu oredi used car dealer pull all sort of stunt

Odo tampering is bo chenghu. What else do we expect?

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, andrewyewkc said:

This dealer is still quite ethical, some will go below 40%. 😀

Once I was test driving a beautiful used mercedes in impeccable condition that was used to shuttle between singapore and KL and my wife wanted to buy it. It just arrived and the odo showed 260,000km. I told my wife that it is ridiculous to change from a 240,000km car (my car COE finished) to another car with 260,000km. During the test drive I asked the dealer if they tamper with the odo and they sumpah that they will never do such an unethical thing. The next week this same car was advertised for 78,000km by the same dealer.

Sheer coincidence that almost all these 10 year old used cars for sale have the same mileage of around 100,000km? 🙄

image.png.416e7a1f050af08d5e8ba0db8803cd4d.png

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

On 1/21/2020 at 1:45 AM, Vinceng said:

Another trick used by dealers in tempering the mileage.

A 7 yr old car is put up for sale

Serviced for the first 3 yrs at agent, with mileage at 45,000 in 3rd year (average 15,000km/yr).

Gets sold to a 2nd owner who is in sales and drives a lot or even used for Private Hire. By the 7 year, mileage is 200,000km and serviced at outside workshops.

Dealer will adjust mileage to 90,000km and send to agent to service. And declare in the ad that it is agent maintained with "genuine" 90,000km mileage.

I know because my car dealer friend does that and it's an industry norm.

Hahaha, you picha your friend's lobang.

5 hours ago, andrewyewkc said:

Hahaha, you picha your friend's lobang.

I picha-ed every used car dealers' lobang, to be precise. 😁

• Praise 1

6 hours ago, Vinceng said:

Sheer coincidence that almost all these 10 year old used cars for sale have the same mileage of around 100,000km? 🙄

image.png.416e7a1f050af08d5e8ba0db8803cd4d.png

As I said earlier, those who buy used car from a used car dealer w 10k annual mileage likely a victim of odo tampering 

Onli if direct seller (non-consignment), 1 owner maybe legit. If 2nd owner even if direct sale, maybe kena tweak by the first seller which could be dealer

• Praise 1

And with many cars used for private hire, averaging at least 80,000km annually, you won't know the true mileage after the dealer gives the car a new coat of paint,  chemical engine wash, replace upholstery, wrap the steering wheel with synthetic leather.

Worse, private hire cars are not brand specific - from A to Z, almost every make is used for private hire - BMW, Citroen, Daihatsu, Ford, Honda, Hyundai, Jaguar, Kia, Lexus, Mercedes, Nissan, Opel, Peugeot, Renault, Subaru, Suzuki, Toyota, Volvo. It's hard to detect

Edited by Vinceng
  • Haha! 1

17 hours ago, Soya said:

Got chenghu oredi used car dealer pull all sort of stunt

Odo tampering is bo chenghu. What else do we expect?

I think is government focus energy on a lot of things that should leave it alone. Got too many examples.. End up how? No energy to focus on other issues like this one.. Haiz.. 

As long as the relevant offical isn't doing anything to kerb this, tampering of the mileage will go on and on. Ironically, cars are sent for inspection periodically for their trustworthiness on the road but with this tampering of mileage, owners of such cars are being deceived and the breakdown of cars on the road will not end.

It is not a difficult thing to record during inspection as some has mentioned but the official still turning a blind eye to it. Money matters otherwise they will just let things be as they are.

31 minutes ago, Maddriver said:

It can be.. could be the helper used it for marketing 😅. Anyway if you have the service records from C&C should be ok.

unlikely to have.. if the owner can "forget" he has this car u think he remember to service it? whahahahahaha

• Haha! 1

On 1/20/2020 at 8:24 AM, Watwheels said:

Nice nick. "TheCarDealer" siah.

Or is it the pot calling the kettle black? 🤣

Too bad it doesn't apply as i don't deal with used cars 🙂

• Praise 1

On 1/20/2020 at 9:47 AM, Rickster said:

Have, charge whoever who wants to use the service a maybe $10 fee lor. Just like how we get charged with using ACRA to find out additional details of a company.

I think garment want us to buy new cars so that they can collect more money.

image.thumb.png.a565947210628c0ba298800265dffc7d.png

Few years back I have an interesting encounter.

Vehicle ODO meter was showing about 75k however upon checking around the car I found the latest servicing documents from Kocomo. It shows 120k and it is dated 2 3 years back.

Hence I guess the real millage is about 200k.

Was a lucky man that time. That stage I was about to sign on the papers.

Immediately the dealer appogised and shove me off the showroom.

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 2