Supercar vs Hypercar — What’s the Difference?

kobayashiGT

5 hours ago, Turboflat4 said:

You're absolutely right - the Veneno is a hypercar.

When it (finally!) comes out, the Mercedes-AMG One will be one as well.

Another missed out brand is the Aston Martin and the hypercar Aston Martin Valkyrie. 

↡ Advertisement

16 minutes ago, Tommisan said:

Another missed out brand is the Aston Martin and the hypercar Aston Martin Valkyrie. 

There's quite a few that I missed out (my post was only intended to give representative examples). 

But Aston Martin was something I consciously avoided. Most of their road going cars have been embarrassments from a performance perspective till the DB11 - and the V8 version of that just lifted the engine from my old car, the AMG GT. 

I can't think of a single Aston I would classify as a true supercar. Maybe the V12 DB11. But the V8 one would be a sports car, or maybe a super-sports car.

The older generation ones are just sports cars/sports-GTs. Not very quick ones either.

And then there's the Valkyrie, a definite hypercar. 

I already mentioned the Vulcan earlier. Track only. 

Rather Jekyll and Hyde, isn't it? "Gentleman" sports cars all through the range and then a hypercar here, a track model there. 

Can you think of a proper Aston supercar? Not sports, not GT, and not a hypercar?

Edited by Turboflat4

1 hour ago, Turboflat4 said:

There's quite a few that I missed out (my post was only intended to give representative examples). 

But Aston Martin was something I consciously avoided. Most of their road going cars have been embarrassments from a performance perspective till the DB11 - and the V8 version of that just lifted the engine from my old car, the AMG GT. 

I can't think of a single Aston I would classify as a true supercar. Maybe the V12 DB11. But the V8 one would be a sports car, or maybe a super-sports car.

The older generation ones are just sports cars/sports-GTs. Not very quick ones either.

And then there's the Valkyrie, a definite hypercar. 

I already mentioned the Vulcan earlier. Track only. 

Rather Jekyll and Hyde, isn't it? "Gentleman" sports cars all through the range and then a hypercar here, a track model there. 

Can you think of a proper Aston supercar? Not sports, not GT, and not a hypercar?

How about the DBS Superleggera? V12, RWD,, excess of 700hp. Though the drag coefficient (Cd) is higher for Aston Martin, it ain’t a slouch. I must say Aston Martin is pretty slow in upgrading the interiors and console. Am still puzzled with the 8 inch info entertainment display, thought they can do better than that. 

• Praise 1

4 minutes ago, Tommisan said:

How about the DBS Superleggera? V12, RWD,, excess of 700hp. Though the drag coefficient (Cd) is higher for Aston Martin, it ain’t a slouch. I must say Aston Martin is pretty slow in upgrading the interiors and console. Am still puzzled with the 8 inch info entertainment display, thought they can do better than that. 

Excellent! Yes, I would consider the DBS Superleggera a supercar.

• Praise 1

9 hours ago, Sugimoto said:

This thread reminds me 1 car in the late 90s, CLK GTR road version.

050_clk_gtr.jpg

Most underrated supercar. Not forgetting Maserati MC12.

• Praise 1

Guys, on this topic, anyone has real life experience on living with a AMG-GT or GTS?

Its growing in my head, but i am wondering about the daily practicality vs say a 911.   

16 minutes ago, Tedlhw said:

Guys, on this topic, anyone has real life experience on living with a AMG-GT or GTS?

Its growing in my head, but i am wondering about the daily practicality vs say a 911.   

@Turboflat4

• Praise 1

Internal Moderator
1 hour ago, Weez911 said:

That 720s goes like rocket.

Yeah. But the exhaust note not very nice. hahah. need to upgrade to novitec.

• Praise 1

51 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

Yeah. But the exhaust note not very nice. hahah. need to upgrade to novitec.

Kline innovation

• Praise 1

Supersonic
(edited)
1 hour ago, Tedlhw said:

Sure, what would you like to know? 

I had an AMG GT I got new from CnC. 

Good car, it's closer to being a supercar than a grand tourer with 2 doors and 2 seats. The main concessions to being a GT are the high level of comfort and luxury and the extremely long bonnet (you get used to it in a bit). 

Power-wise, it's not bad in the GT, and good in the GT-S. The drivetrain is the same in both cars so it made sense for me to get the GT and chip it up to about 612hp with lots more torque. It ended up being much quicker than a stock GT-S (in turn quicker than the older SLS) (all proven with a few rolling races). The chip was the Perform Master one, it's significantly more ex than basic piggybacks like racechip and jb4 but it really delivers and works perfectly. It's also able to delimit the top speed, something most chips can't do. Installation is quite involved though, as the module is quite complicated. 

With the chip in the car felt completely alive, and I mainly sold it cos I wanted to try something new after more than 1.5 years of ownership. The other thing I didn't like too much was the dilution of the series by the four door models. The line-up won't be the successor to the SLS that it should've been, not even with the AMG GT-R.

Otherwise the car was great, very livable in general. Except the doors open quite wide, so it was quite a pain to park. It was almost as bad as my 430. I'd say my current Mac 12C is better with its dihedral doors.

Reliability wise, one small niggle very early in the car's life. A minor transmission glitch that needed the car to remain at the Pandan sevice centre for a few days for recoding remotely by AMG Germany (they lent me an S400 Hybrid courtesy car so it was OK). The wing occasionally gave issues with alignment, and needed fixing at the service centre. They also overlooked the rather obvious engine mod (made friends with the right service advisor thanks to someone on this forum).

The COMAND module was not as intuitive as the Bimmer iDrive. But that's a general Merc complaint. 

Anyway, it's a nice car. I can't compare it to a more modern 911 than my 996 C2 cab tip (the one I owned) as they're too far apart in age and price and specs - of course the AMG GT was much better in every way. I'm sure it's a much closer fight with a newer 911.

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 2

2 hours ago, Turboflat4 said:

Sure, what would you like to know? 

I had an AMG GT I got new from CnC. 

Good car, it's closer to being a supercar than a grand tourer with 2 doors and 2 seats. The main concessions to being a GT are the high level of comfort and luxury and the extremely long bonnet (you get used to it in a bit). 

Power-wise, it's not bad in the GT, and good in the GT-S. The drivetrain is the same in both cars so it made sense for me to get the GT and chip it up to about 612hp with lots more torque. It ended up being much quicker than a stock GT-S (in turn quicker than the older SLS) (all proven with a few rolling races). The chip was the Perform Master one, it's significantly more ex than basic piggybacks like racechip and jb4 but it really delivers and works perfectly. It's also able to delimit the top speed, something most chips can't do. Installation is quite involved though, as the module is quite complicated. 

With the chip in the car felt completely alive, and I mainly sold it cos I wanted to try something new after more than 1.5 years of ownership. The other thing I didn't like too much was the dilution of the series by the four door models. The line-up won't be the successor to the SLS that it should've been, not even with the AMG GT-R.

Otherwise the car was great, very livable in general. Except the doors open quite wide, so it was quite a pain to park. It was almost as bad as my 430. I'd say my current Mac 12C is better with its dihedral doors.

Reliability wise, one small niggle very early in the car's life. A minor transmission glitch that needed the car to remain at the Pandan sevice centre for a few days for recoding remotely by AMG Germany (they lent me an S400 Hybrid courtesy car so it was OK). The wing occasionally gave issues with alignment, and needed fixing at the service centre. They also overlooked the rather obvious engine mod (made friends with the right service advisor thanks to someone on this forum).

The COMAND module was not as intuitive as the Bimmer iDrive. But that's a general Merc complaint. 

Anyway, it's a nice car. I can't compare it to a more modern 911 than my 996 C2 cab tip (the one I owned) as they're too far apart in age and price and specs - of course the AMG GT was much better in every way. I'm sure it's a much closer fight with a newer 911.

So in general it was liv-able around town in tightish carparks?

And there are no big issues on reliability? (heard horror stories about burnt clutches and other malfunctions in certain very high end Italian and British marques from my clients)

I've been offered an extended test drive for a few days from a friend wanting to sell me the car, so am thinking whether to accept. 

My current daily drive is a humble 981 entry level boxster, was planning on an upgrade to the 911 in the near future, then this AMG idea/opportunity came along so... 

The car looked beautiful and i am having a hard time getting it outta my head. But it really is gonna be a daily driver to work, so really wondering about the practicality of that. 

• Praise 1

Supersonic
(edited)
1 hour ago, Tedlhw said:

So in general it was liv-able around town in tightish carparks?

And there are no big issues on reliability? (heard horror stories about burnt clutches and other malfunctions in certain very high end Italian and British marques from my clients)

I've been offered an extended test drive for a few days from a friend wanting to sell me the car, so am thinking whether to accept. 

My current daily drive is a humble 981 entry level boxster, was planning on an upgrade to the 911 in the near future, then this AMG idea/opportunity came along so... 

The car looked beautiful and i am having a hard time getting it outta my head. But it really is gonna be a daily driver to work, so really wondering about the practicality of that. 

No major issues in the carparks I went to but you should know I generally prefer to drive one of my other cars to places I know might be troublesome. 

Ground clearance is quite good but you should still slow down a lot for humps as you can bottom out otherwise. 

The transmission is the 750DCL Getrag, the 7 speed DCT, the same as in the 458. The mechanicals are bulletproof. The software and electrical bits are German engineered, so they should be even more reliable than in the Ferrari. I had no issuers after my mod. The car has a lot more upside - I think there are 800hp versions running around outside Singapore. Still, locally, I believe I was the first (with that model) to power mod my car. I sold it with the chip intact to my dealer friend who's Karsono Kwee's nephew. He drove the car himself, having fun, and quickly turned a tidy profit in a couple weeks. 

No issues with daily driving unless the owner has messed up the car. I know one AMG GTS (started life red, ended up being yellow) that's been knocked about a bit. I don't think the chassis would've been affected. My car (blue) was pristine. 

Sorry, I realised there's one very important piece of info I clean forgot to mention. The fuel rail needs to be changed under warranty. It's a frequent failure point on these cars. That AMG GTS that I talked about had fuel starvation and engine error codes on a Malaysia drive. He went and got his fuel rail changed under warranty and all was OK. It's not an isolated issue, another AMG GT (not GTS, but remember, same drivetrain) had the issue crop up and also had a warranty repair. My own car had no issues but the service advisor I had made friends with was so good that he changed it for me prophylactically, for peace of mind.

So far as I know it's never been a recall or TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) issue, but that means you must be more cautious because they could be brushing the issue under the rug. 

But to be fair, my car was one of the early releases, they may have fixed the issue in subsequent batches. I'll PM you a contact from cycle to check with. 

Sorry that info slipped my mind earlier. That's the most important thing you must check - demand a record that the fuel rail has been changed. 

Other than that, you're good to go! 

PMed you with a contact that should prove useful. 

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 1

(edited)

The new Porsche 911 Turbo S (10.2s quarter mile) is even quicker than the 720S (10.4s) in a drag race.

And yes, it is quicker than the Taycan Turbo S (10.4s) in this video.

Edited by Weez911
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2