Those having steamboat over CNY, for awareness

alfakidz85

I highly suspect either is the quality of the glass top or really they are so suay to get a "lemon". My dinning table glass is only supported by 4x10cents size rubber each resting on the end of a round metal frame. My daughter support her body with her elbow on the table with both feet off the ground and got scolded by me every time I see her do that. Think I better be sure she don't do that any more seeing this post.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4
  • Shocked 1

It is quite common for tempered glass stove to crack. The reason is that when the glass is too hot, water drips on it will cause it to crack. Buy laminated glass will be safer but more expensive.

• Praise 3

Tempered glass break due to heat? I thought tempered itself is a process of heat strengthening? 

But glass is never a good idea lah. Whether it is table, partition or doors. Worse is entire building.  Haha

53 minutes ago, Buadongdong said:

Buy Marble or granite or iQuartz table better la.. natural stones dont yield under heat...

Wah this suggestion very up. 

Haha mine is just laminate on top of cheap wood. Done it's job well for last 6 years... 

51 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

Looks like a portable induction cooker

2FB74FD2-3EF9-40AC-8487-A5D004DC53A6.jpeg

Portable induction cooker where will get so hot to break glass? Something wrong with glass. 

• Praise 2

3 minutes ago, Victor68 said:

Tempered glass break due to heat? I thought tempered itself is a process of heat strengthening? 

But glass is never a good idea lah. Whether it is table, partition or doors. Worse is entire building.  Haha

Meet some hk protestors... No glass is safe... 

• Shocked 1
  • Haha! 2

1 minute ago, Mockngbrd said:

Portable induction cooker where will get so hot to break glass? Something wrong with glass. 

Yeah at first I thought it might be gas canister stove for mookata. But with induction... 

Edited by Lala81

10 hours ago, Windwaver said:

Mine too but bought donkey years ago, so new things not exactly good.

Remember not to throw everything over CNY, keep the old stuff :grin:

Aiya, I'm talking about wife lah :whisper:

• Haha! 1

17 minutes ago, Mockngbrd said:

I agree...

however, my new cheapo brand IC does gets very hot if temp above 400 and noisy too. 

going to place a plank over my glass table this Friday...😅

• Haha! 2

12 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Wah this suggestion very up. 

Haha mine is just laminate on top of cheap wood. Done it's job well for last 6 years... 

I bought mine in JB.. the price is even cheaper than a wooden table-top cost in SG.. 

• Praise 1

12 hours ago, alfakidz85 said:

FB_IMG_1579528082206.thumb.jpg.92fee26b2d0d1d681c4c19e70607d395.jpgFB_IMG_1579528084058.thumb.jpg.ea67b85bb42caf097bf71b00b057438c.jpgFB_IMG_1579528085960.jpg.e1bea005bc6fb7c16d273ac69089222e.jpgFB_IMG_1579528087745.thumb.jpg.ae0e558620a8d1d4740010ffbc9d9f23.jpgFB_IMG_1579528089604.jpg.3b07781b5169e94487f8d3f44d5d5c4d.jpgFB_IMG_1579528091325.thumb.jpg.e34b1c4b1046a5eb10371b6b70d7055b.jpgFB_IMG_1579528092931.thumb.jpg.ced9454da8a3a4c500f06e45842d3037.jpgFB_IMG_1579528097379.thumb.jpg.4e412831db6ce862aaa0a52199b352e9.jpgFB_IMG_1579528099244.thumb.jpg.80570ca60fdf5d9bd1abba20f1fc4470.jpg

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10156444244982134&id=615127133

On 19/1/2020 

My friends and I were having steamboat at my place. About 30 minutes into the dinner, my dining table "EXPLODED" and the entire tempered glass top shattered into pieces. Now, steamboat lovers would know the potential devastation when a hotpot pot were to be toppled/spilled over. Now x10 of the damage because of the sudden shatter with glass flying everywhere. 

After the incident happened, all of us sat there in shock, and we couldn't do anything as there were glass shards and hot soup everywhere. *please take a look at the picture to visualise the amount of damage done* we immediately called the ambulance and paramedics came down to rescue us. With all my guests injured, some with cuts bigger than the size of an eye. I myself was brought to NTF for treatment of 2nd degree burns. 

I understand that there is a potential possibility of thermal stress that may occur on a tempered glass even though it is supposed to be tough, with 15mm of thickness. With no right or wrong answer to how much heat and duration will cause a tempered glass from shattering, we were unfortunate enough to experience this traumatic experience.

Damage occurred: 
1. New kitchenware 
2. Lots of injury (blood spilt everywhere)
3. A&E medical attention + follow up appointments
4. Blood stain on wall and sofa
5. Blood seeping into grout (have to dig out and reapply grout as there is no way we can clean it) 
6. Food 😞

It was supposed to be a joyous gathering between my friends. But it ended up being a traumatizing experience. I hope my story will be a warning towards all tempered glass top table owners.

We have contacted the furniture company to ask for their course of compensation, unfortunately, the director of the company said that the best that he can do for us is to replace a brand new laminated table top for us as the base of our table is still intact. (Not even an entirely new table) - but that's besides the point - what we were looking for was minimally some responsibility on the company's end... to cover the medical bills and repair costs.

Would I be able to eat in peace at my own dining table in future, wondering about the safety of the table from the same company? 

We shifted into our brand new home, with brand new furniture for the entire house, all ready to celebrate our first CNY at our new house. Instead, my husband and I were left speechless with all the mess left behind. When I came home from NTF last night, I broke down and cried when we opened the door. My house is in a mess and it smells like a crime scene of a murder. 

But well....... thankfully it was not during the actual CNY, where elderlies and babies/children could have been severely injured.

Comfort Design Furniture

Wishing you guys a speedy recovery.

Looking at the table design, the glass top is only supported at the 2 narrow ends. The unsupported long sides probably bend n buckled under the weight

• Praise 2

37 minutes ago, Buadongdong said:

I bought mine in JB.. the price is even cheaper than a wooden table-top cost in SG.. 

Got picture? Of your dining table or contact? 

1 hour ago, Naughty9795 said:

It is quite common for tempered glass stove to crack. The reason is that when the glass is too hot, water drips on it will cause it to crack. Buy laminated glass will be safer but more expensive.

My tempered glass stove cracked maybe 5 yr ago. I tot it was an anomaly, but if it's common that it cracks then i'm shocked...

Why it cracked, as i found out then, was because it's a latent defect (learnt new word too...). This means it's a defect that will not be able to be seen/known initially, and will only surface later.

Apparently, the workers when cutting a hole in the (granite) kitchen top to house the stove, cut too big a hole for that particular model of stove.

If you - like me at that time - don't know how these nice-looking glass stove works, it basically consist of a metal sink-like trough with the 4 edges having 'holders' that allow this metal trough to sit (hang) nicely inside/on top of the kitchen top's hole, and the 4 edges being the support.

Inside the trough is the mechanism of the stove.

But this is very unsightly and so the manufacturers put a nice-looking tempered glass on top of it, just nice covering the full trough. The glass is meant to be slightly bigger than the metal trough, so when it's installed, we can only see the glass from the top, and is oblivious to the metal trough below.

Key here is that the whole weight of the stove is supported by the 4 edges of the metal trough, which rests on the just-nice hole that is cut. And the glass rests on top of the trough to make it presentable.

In my case, the hole was larger than the metal trough, so the whole trough would fall through - instead of sitting on - the granite-top hole... And so the slightly larger tempered glass, was the thing that was supporting the whole weight of the trough (and the stove)!!!

It was incredible that the glass managed to hold the weight for about 2 years after we moved in, before it finally just cracked.

All these were told - and shown - to us when we initially thought it was cos we cooked a lot, and it was either too heavy or too hot, causing the crack. The Electrolux guy who brought a new stove along to replace the cracked one, after removing the old one, told us no point installing a new one as it's going to face the same problem...

I called the developer, and even though DLP was way over, they (3 pax, not the blangla-worker level) rushed down immediately (unprecedented), assessed it, and then told me they will replace it out of goodwill!

And i had already paid the electrolux guy for transport the day before cos he came but eventually didn't do the installation.

The developer then added 2 metal rim-line bars to the kitchen-top hole, to make it smaller so that the metal trough can now sit on - instead of fall through - the hole...

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5