How many kids do you have? local singaporeans only

Wind30

How many kids do you have  

96 members have voted

1. 1. How many kids do you have?

• 6+

On 1/23/2020 at 5:38 PM, Fitvip said:

I have three, two men and one lady!

When we had our third, the garmen was not happy. They imposed surcharges on us. There was no maternity leave for my poor wife, who had helped to increase the population...

We belong to the low SES, no maids. We paid our neighbours look after.  During one period, my wife had to bring the kids to my mil before going to work. She did not have off time practically...

Time flies. All are working adults now, including the one who had been penalised...

Now they regret being so hard on those that have 3.

I say no need to regret lah, just give us all free COE for doing national service.

:grin:

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1

They say so hard to get people to have more kids.

I say its so easy.

Anyone with 3 kids get 50% off COE

Anyone with 4 get 75% off COE

Anyone with 5 get 100% off COE

19 minutes ago, Icedbs said:

I think parents need to remember that they only spend 20 or so years bringing the kid up with the right values. After that, he develop his own friends, his own environment which may influence the values which he is brought up with . This  is especially true in today's world where the kid is expose to social media and globalism which is much more than before. Infact, the external influence may be even greater than the internal influence.

So imo, while it remains  very important for parent to make use of that first 20 years properly, there is very little guarantee that the values that the kid is brought up with will still be with him 20 years later.

True. Cos' u may try your absolute best and bring up an Adolf Hitler. 
We shouldn't have the ego/hubris to pretend otherwise.

The converse can also be true. You can be parents with bad or at least debatable values and still bring up a kid with good values. Though in this case, the values are likely to come from a surrogate figure in the person's life. Teacher, other relative etc. And likely from just pure dumb luck or someone else's intervention.

IMO, you can only lead your own life as a role model. Essentially a paragon of certain virtues apparent to those around you. Whether it's humility, kindness to others, work ethic, optimistic attitude, filial piety etc. This doesn't extend to the prevalent humble/social bragging seen on social media and some "news" articles.

Be a better person. Actions speak louder than words to your kids.

• Praise 2

On 1/24/2020 at 8:22 AM, No_worries said:

I have 1 daughter who is 6 years now . She is going to register for P1 this year.

And both myself and my wife are feeling the heat as the preschool parents in her school are comparing which enrichment classes are the Best. 

It is more competitive now and it cost a LOT to bring up a child, both time and money .

Have another one, no thanks!

And yes , all those maternity and parental care leave are bulls**t, if a person can take 5 months maternity or paternity leave at one shot, do you think the company would say they still need you when you come back?

Can definitely understanD your points

Dont depend on the Govt for such things.

its always a NO if you use an equation to decide

hv a good cny

• Praise 2

Just curious, extending to the original intent of this poll.

Which of your personal friends have the record number of kids?

One of my seniors has a basketball team. Haha govt loves this type of citizens deep deep [laugh]

2 hours ago, Lala81 said:

True. Cos' u may try your absolute best and bring up an Adolf Hitler. 
We shouldn't have the ego/hubris to pretend otherwise.

The converse can also be true. You can be parents with bad or at least debatable values and still bring up a kid with good values. Though in this case, the values are likely to come from a surrogate figure in the person's life. Teacher, other relative etc. And likely from just pure dumb luck or someone else's intervention.

IMO, you can only lead your own life as a role model. Essentially a paragon of certain virtues apparent to those around you. Whether it's humility, kindness to others, work ethic, optimistic attitude, filial piety etc. This doesn't extend to the prevalent humble/social bragging seen on social media and some "news" articles.

Be a better person. Actions speak louder than words to your kids.

Do as I do and don't do as I say? It is really quite true.  

30 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

Do as I do and don't do as I say? It is really quite true.  

While u want your children to express their feelings and you have expectations of their social behaviour which you can dictate to them (cos it's really difficult to explain civic mindedness/social norms to a young child). 
eg.  being civic minded, not littering, not being loud in public spaces or where they are supposed to keep their volume down etc, greeting elders or teachers etc.

For virtues, it's more important to exhibit them to observe. Anyway almost all children imitate their parents, both in good or bad ways.

3 hours ago, Jamesc said:

Now they regret being so hard on those that have 3.

I say no need to regret lah, just give us all free COE for doing national service.

Now they give incentive but people don't bite! 🤨

• Haha! 1

On 1/24/2020 at 8:22 AM, No_worries said:

I have 1 daughter who is 6 years now . She is going to register for P1 this year.

And both myself and my wife are feeling the heat as the preschool parents in her school are comparing which enrichment classes are the Best. 

It is more competitive now and it cost a LOT to bring up a child, both time and money .

Have another one, no thanks!

And yes , all those maternity and parental care leave are bulls**t, if a person can take 5 months maternity or paternity leave at one shot, do you think the company would say they still need you when you come back?

Works in the Nordic countries. My colleague took 6mths paternity leave to spend time with his 4year old. 
Will never work here and laws will never protect citizens. 

4 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

Works in the Nordic countries. My colleague took 6mths paternity leave to spend time with his 4year old. 

Our part of the world, no one owes us a living. And they are a homogenous society of one tribe.  Scandinavian policies don't translate well to the rest of the world. Even to other homogenous East asian societies like JP, Korea.

Increasingly europe will follow the rest of the world, not we follow them.

15 hours ago, Fitvip said:

Now they give incentive but people don't bite! 🤨

The incentives are mostly targeted at persuading childless couples to have kids. But it does not seem to be very effective.

Might as well spend more effort persuading people who already HAVE kids, e.g. one or two, to have more. This is an easier group of people to sway, as they have already taken the first step.

• Haha! 2

15 hours ago, Mkl22 said:

Someone is paying for it but if they do that in SG for both parents, our birth rate may just double. We might be willing to pay 40-50% tax coz this is home but those with options, they will leave, I doubt it is sustainable.

Truths be told, I don't need 6 months paternity leave but some helps to lower cost for those parents in their 20s and early 30s would be good (from my experience). 

16 hours ago, Lala81 said:

While u want your children to express their feelings and you have expectations of their social behaviour which you can dictate to them (cos it's really difficult to explain civic mindedness/social norms to a young child). 
eg.  being civic minded, not littering, not being loud in public spaces or where they are supposed to keep their volume down etc, greeting elders or teachers etc.

For virtues, it's more important to exhibit them to observe. Anyway almost all children imitate their parents, both in good or bad ways.

Yes.  I see it in my relationship with my parents and in my own kids.

2 hours ago, Voodooman said:

Someone is paying for it but if they do that in SG for both parents, our birth rate may just double. We might be willing to pay 40-50% tax coz this is home but those with options, they will leave, I doubt it is sustainable.

Truths be told, I don't need 6 months paternity leave but some helps to lower cost for those parents in their 20s and early 30s would be good (from my experience). 

Medical costs are very expensive and sometimes even the childbirth costs, if there is anything extraordinary, will almost deplete the baby bonus. Before the kid's first month!

I know some people will say go KKH for lower costs vs private, but sometimes women prefer certain hospital or gynae also just have to go along with their personal choice

• Praise 1

7 hours ago, Sosaria said:

The incentives are mostly targeted at persuading childless couples to have kids. But it does not seem to be very effective.

Might as well spend more effort persuading people who already HAVE kids, e.g. one or two, to have more. This is an easier group of people to sway, as they have already taken the first step.

according to I think Vivian Balakrisnan, our birth rate issue is not much caused by family having not enough kids, but by too many people choosing to stay single.  Which gels with my own observations.  

most who get married actually want kids, and most with one kid will want another one to keep the first kid company.  This married needs help but doesn’t need a lot of incentivizing. Also can’t really persuade people to go from 2 to 3, no incentives can outweigh the diminishing marginal utility.

• Praise 1

That's true, a lot of singles these days.

Almost half of my college's friends in my contact list are single, majority are female :psychotic:

↡ Advertisement