Myanmarese neighbour's food

Bluepica

Actually, what are the ingredients that used in Myamarese food that have one weird smell? The Thais chap chye peng also got such smell but not as strong as the Myamarese food. this smell is very strong and distinctive that you can smell when you walk pass Peninsular Plaza (or even nearby)

My neigbour two units away was rented out to a group of Myamarese few months ago but only few days ago, those familiar smell of Peninsular Plaza started to fill the whole corridor overtaking the yummy curry smell from my next door foreign Indian workers. No, no I am not being disrespectful to different cultural habits, but the smell can be very overwhelming. 😖

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 5

1 minute ago, Bluepica said:

Actually, what are the ingredients that used in Myamarese food that have one weird smell? The Thais chap chye peng also got such smell but not as strong as the Myamarese food. this smell is very strong and distinctive that you can smell when you walk pass Peninsular Plaza (or even nearby)

My neigbour two units away was rented out to a group of Myamarese few months ago but only few days ago, those familiar smell of Peninsular Plaza started to fill the whole corridor overtaking the yummy curry smell from my next door foreign Indian workers. No, no I am not being disrespectful to different cultural habits, but the smell can be very overwhelming. 😖

i believe the weird smell come from bamboo shoot, some taiwanese dishes also have that.

• Praise 1

24 minutes ago, Soya said:

Ahemm....if PRC post on public forum say our curry smell is overwhelming,  WW3 will start liao....lol

Then that's their pasal lo... cos they should integrate into our society.

Those pungent fermented shrimp paste bah?

To you is weird bah. But to their culture they like it.

Similar to belacan. In our culture ppl like belacan. Just like the recent ignorant ang moh who commented the air plane nasi lemak meal is awful and kenna flamed like dunno what. You also want to be next?

Edited by Watwheels
  • Haha! 2

12 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

Those pungent fermented shrimp paste bah?

To you is weird bah. But to their culture they like it.

Similar to belacan. In our culture ppl like belacan. Just like the recent ignorant ang moh who commented the air plane nasi lemak meal is awful and kenna flamed like dunno what. You also want to be next?

Well, this is not something in our culture and that's why I am asking what kind or ingredients and trying to learn lo.... that nasi lemak incident is a totally different story.

at the end of the day, 镇不刺到肉不会痛 de lo

1 hour ago, Jman888 said:

i believe the weird smell come from bamboo shoot, some taiwanese dishes also have that.

Yes, bamboo shoots. Acquired taste. Some people don't like it. Not commonly found in SG too.

• Praise 1

1 minute ago, UncleAtas said:

It's rebung aka bamboo shoots.

Thais use it a lot for their cooking too.

Smells bad but the taste is nice.

Rebung buluh got funny smell mei?

There's some vegetable and chicken soup that the Myanmar assistants used to cook for Xmas gatherings at the community hospital that i used to worked at. They call it something. But cant't remember.

It's damn tasty. I will drink many bowls.

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 3

4 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

There's some vegetable and chicken soup that the Myanmar assistants used to cook for Xmas gatherings at the community hospital that i used to worked at. They call it something. But cant't remember.

you mean like stinky tofu, damn stinky, but also damn tasty 😁

• Haha! 1

1 minute ago, Bluepica said:

you mean like stinky tofu, damn stinky, but also damn tasty 😁

No it's just a very unique soup. I've never tasted anything like it since. 
It's clear chicken soup with some other vegetable taste. And coriander on top.

It's not thai, nor vietnamese, nor chinese. It's just something different. 

• Praise 1

6 hours ago, Lala81 said:

For heaven's sake find the recipe.. become millionaire hawker.. buy merc to ferry chicken and vegetable

• Haha! 1

8 hours ago, Bluepica said:

It's the smell of fish paste which they like to use. The smell is really strong.

• Shocked 1

apart from bamboo shoot there's another leaf.

Forgot what it's called. When they cook it the smell is very intense inside the kitchen/house, but as it dissipates along the corridor it smells more and more like s**t. I know someone who actually moved house because of this.

• Sad 1
  • Haha! 1

What rural people living in poverty or just above poverty. Taste all very strong one lol. They don't have refrigerator. 

↡ Advertisement