Number of big cars jumped in past decade

awhtc

what about fusing VES with COE? 

Limit car population based on their emission standards rather than performance?

possible drawback is tesla being "taxed" cheaper than some BnB.. but in the view of car population, wouldn't a greener car make more sense than a smoke machine? 

though the cars i favour are less green.. shouldn't that be a more sustainable approach that align with global directions?

Edited by Knoobie
↡ Advertisement

5 hours ago, Knoobie said:

what about fusing VES with COE? 

Limit car population based on their emission standards rather than performance?

possible drawback is tesla being "taxed" cheaper than some BnB.. but in the view of car population, wouldn't a greener car make more sense than a smoke machine? 

though the cars i favour are less green.. shouldn't that be a more sustainable approach that align with global directions?

Electric cars aren't truly "green" in Singapore, simply because we produce electricity using... Natural gas (fossil fuels). Our solar power output is miniscule on the grand scheme of things, and the truth is that driving an electric car merely shifts your tailpipe emissions to the senoko power station. So you could argue for electric cars leading to cleaner air in cities, but you can't for it being "greener" than fossil-fuel driven vehicles in general.

Until our large 200+ MW solar grid in Australia is up and piping electricity back to us, electric vehicles in SG continue to be fraudulently green.

To be honest, I feel (personal opinion, not fact) that there is too much swaying back and forth on the part of G. On the one hand they say COE is to control car numbers so that our traffic situation doesn't become like Jarkarta for example. But on the other hand they also want to de-incentivise polluting cars by coming up with bulls*** like VES, road tax based on engine capacity, etc. When the most polluting vehicles on our roads are the old heavy trucks and buses (Bas Perkaja anyone?) spewing out copious amounts of black smoke from poorly-maintained diesel engines, and LTA/ NEA/ whatever basically chooses to turn a blind eye.

As a Singaporean who is a mere mortal (i.e not earning anything close to "mediocre"), I suppose I can only suck it up and just accept things as they are.

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, DK3410 said:

Electric cars aren't truly "green" in Singapore, simply because we produce electricity using... Natural gas (fossil fuels). Our solar power output is miniscule on the grand scheme of things, and the truth is that driving an electric car merely shifts your tailpipe emissions to the senoko power station. So you could argue for electric cars leading to cleaner air in cities, but you can't for it being "greener" than fossil-fuel driven vehicles in general.

Until our large 200+ MW solar grid in Australia is up and piping electricity back to us, electric vehicles in SG continue to be fraudulently green.

To be honest, I feel (personal opinion, not fact) that there is too much swaying back and forth on the part of G. On the one hand they say COE is to control car numbers so that our traffic situation doesn't become like Jarkarta for example. But on the other hand they also want to de-incentivise polluting cars by coming up with bulls*** like VES, road tax based on engine capacity, etc. When the most polluting vehicles on our roads are the old heavy trucks and buses (Bas Perkaja anyone?) spewing out copious amounts of black smoke from poorly-maintained diesel engines, and LTA/ NEA/ whatever basically chooses to turn a blind eye.

As a Singaporean who is a mere mortal (i.e not earning anything close to "mediocre"), I suppose I can only suck it up and just accept things as they are.

Greener cars not necessarily be electric vehicles only. Hybrid for instance I believe will be greener than pure petrol or diesel. 

Heavy vehicles have their challenge as they will have impact to economy.

Like I said, given the choice, myself will go for a petrol car and not that I care much bout environment too. 

Just thought it's one possibility to explore and for argument sake.

Currently, power plant and ICE vehicles are polluting the environment.

With the introduction of EV, pollution from ICE vehicles will reduce. It does not pollution from power plant will increase. Power plant always got excess capacity.

IL6 ftw 

Edited by inlinesix

On 1/31/2020 at 8:00 PM, inlinesix said:

Currently, power plant and ICE vehicles are polluting the environment.

With the introduction of EV, pollution from ICE vehicles will reduce. It does not pollution from power plant will increase. Power plant always got excess capacity.

IL6 ftw 

It just means that the proportion will change. Agree that power plants usually have excess capacity. But to think that EVs will drastically help emissions is to ignore the elephant in the room...

https://www.nccs.gov.sg/climate-change-and-singapore/national-circumstances/singapore's-emissions-profile

It shows clearly, that transportation (combining buses, cars, etc) only accounts for 14.5% of the total carbon footprint of SG. The bulk is still contributed by industry (of which the bulk is electricity generation).

So to spend millions of dollars to reduce 14.5% of carbon footprint from ICE vehicles while shifting said emissions to power plants (you can expect that 14.5% to shift to "industry"), is to basically spend money in the wrong place.

• Praise 1

We know long enough whether BEV is green or not doesn't matter.

If it doesn't check the financial benefit aspect for the government, it will never be aggressively pushed forward. 

We have a whole JurongIsland to care for. 

• Praise 1

On 1/31/2020 at 7:48 PM, Knoobie said:

Greener cars not necessarily be electric vehicles only. Hybrid for instance I believe will be greener than pure petrol or diesel. 

Heavy vehicles have their challenge as they will have impact to economy.

Like I said, given the choice, myself will go for a petrol car and not that I care much bout environment too. 

Just thought it's one possibility to explore and for argument sake.

Actually I feel that way about Hybrid vehicles too. My previous ride was a 2nd-gen Prius which I drove for full 10 years.

The main downside of Hybrid vehicle, on the "green" scheme of things, is the recycle-ability of the batteries. NiMH batteries are reliable, but are not easy to recycle given the toxic metals used in its construction.

Came across this funny, but insightful youtube video a few years back...

↡ Advertisement