Sports car within 7-8k/year depreciation

Aventa

1 hour ago, Rickster said:

Had tried going this route many years ago. Typical things to look out for, according to what I had learnt during those days (likely not complete):

1) Cars like these are usually modified. Check what has been modified and if the car comes with original parts as well - some owners do keep the original parts for the purpose of inspection. If not, be prepared to spend some $$$$ to swap back when inspection comes.

2) Get a manual!! Less problems and cheaper to repair.

3) Turbocharger - though I'm not sure how to check if it's going to kaput or not.

4) Would be best if the car comes with service history and or receipt on when parts has been modified and changed.

5) Check for signs of leakage due potentially to poor job of all those fanciful spoilers added and removed over the years.

6) Pop the bonnet and try to see the paint job inside (especially the main 2 structural beams inside, check for paintwork consistency). This is can be a tell tale sign of a major accident.

7) Look at the wiring, see if there are any poorly done wiring that needs some simple maintenance done before something really bad happens.

8 ) Engine oil leakage might be a sign for some serious overhaul due to overheating in the past. This may be a little hard to spot as the dealer or owner will probably have cleaned away any tell tale signs.

9) Check the windows tints, headlights and also number plate are within LTA specifications. If not, need to factor in some costs when inspection comes.

10) If tyres shows sign of significant uneven wear, ask to send the car for alignment. If can be aligned back easily without issue, good. Else it may be a sign of structural damage.

The above are just some general things to look out for according to my limited knowledge for most older sports cars. If they pass the above with flying colours, I believe they should not cost more to maintain and repair over a French car 😁😁😁

"...over a French car". 

That's not saying much! 😂

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1

I'm sure everyone here means well, but it's good to give someone the benefit of the doubt (financially speaking) and not patronise them too much. 

That having been said, if they start a post with a red flag phrase like "max loan, minimum downpayment" etc. then that sort of advice wouldn't be out of place.

• Praise 1

12 minutes ago, RogerNg_185295 said:

Ya.....but not everyone has good money sense. I wonder if you have heard of people going bankrupt due to car loans

Had the impression that only 2 common types go for sports car

a, parents buy for their kids

b. Made tons of money to afford one

Surprised they still can go bankrupt when they only need to take a year loan to enjoy the discounts🤣

Supercharged
6 minutes ago, Ginyu said:

Had the impression that only 2 common types go for sports car

a, parents buy for their kids

b. Made tons of money to afford one

Surprised they still can go bankrupt when they only need to take a year loan to enjoy the discounts🤣

depends on what you define as "sports car"

Define your brother's definition of sports car first la. If I do a quick search on sgcarmart with 7-8k annual dep. and under sports car, I get cars like Scirocco 1.4A, KIA Coup, BMW 320i Convertible which I would hardly define them as a sports car. Unless any 2 door car will suffice. 😆

Rickster & Macrosszero covered the basics already. 

If it's going to be his first sports car, which I assume it is else he won't be asking you, I will recommend something which has the less potential to give troublesome headaches during his ownership experience (ie. visiting specialized workshops as a second home).

NA and manual transmission is a probably a decent combination to start off with. Probably a clean Honda FN2R, Accord Euro R might fit the bill within his annual dep. FD2R maybe better but those are 9-10k-ish annual dep. WRXs etc and the likes can also be explored, but being turbocharged, there's more things to go wrong.  

Edited by Lethalstrike
  • Praise 3

We all assuming TS's bro is a young chap. Maybe he is a lao jiao undergoing a mid life crisis that's why suddenly wanna buy sports car?

As long the girl TS is pursuing (if any) thinks is a sporks car..then by George!  it is a sporks car … [laugh]

Definition is up to Sinkie girls to set ok...

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

6 minutes ago, Wt_know said:

tomorrow school start

welcoming all bro and sis 

67A6A543-5A1C-4AC4-9959-4E1BB7CA1D85.jpeg

So close proximity. Car need to wear mask or not? 

1 hour ago, Eyke said:

depends on what you define as "sports car"

Witnessed a huge man stepping out of his Porsche when I was  second in queue for servicing. He easily weigh 200-300 pounds. For sports car: it may look small in the outside but definitely spacious in the inside

my guess any car can fit in a huge dude fall under sports category 🤣  it need all the horsepower to take the big man from 0-100 under 6 secs🤣

Edited by Ginyu

2 hours ago, RogerNg_185295 said:

Ya.....but not everyone has good money sense. I wonder if you have heard of people going bankrupt due to car loans

that is why you see reports of "missing cars" in car chats all the time ... 

2 hours ago, TeamAMG69 said:

to the non-petrol head, many consider this 1.5litre , 3 cylinder to be "sport car" 

https://www.sgcarmart.com/new_cars/newcars_specs.php?CarCode=11677&Subcode=4932

The term 'sports car' is actually quite loose. As long as it doesn't look like something boring, it's a 'sports car'. Yes, even the Kia Koup - looks great but drives like crap. But as long as it gives owners that special feeling, it has done its job

Juz like the term 'SUV' nowadays. A jacked up FWD hatchback limited power n zero offroad ability like Vezel, Qashqai, Cx3, CHR etc is referred to as a SUV

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1