Sports car within 7-8k/year depreciation

Aventa

15 hours ago, TeamAMG69 said:

true to that

to add , some SUV are performance focus, eg AUDI RSQ8 / BMW X6 M Com, which u can bring down to the track, but 99% of the general public may not know their full potential 

The SRT8 is quite a sleeper thou its loud. Kept seeing it at Envy motors. Left hand quite itchy.

↡ Advertisement

14 hours ago, Aventa said:

Wow didn't expect to garner so many helpful replies.
My brother is a working adult, not ASK (Hence, not a troll post during school holidays 😎)

Appreciate all the useful insights from fellow bros and sis. Hope it helps everyone as well.

He was initially interested in the WRX STI due to 3-5k lower depre than a Type R/EVO, however after factoring insurance and higher repair costs, it might as well be the same cost.

Would you rather spend 68k on a 10 year old WRX STI or 68k on a brand new Honda Jazz? (Running cost is definitely different, so is the driving experience) Hmmm...

Actually, just to share another thought: 

Would your brother perhaps consider a car that is perhaps more performance-oriented but yet a little more 'refined'? Instead of a WRX perhaps he could also consider a renewed Legacy GT. It's more insurance-friendly, a nice drive with sufficient power on tap when you need it and overall a nice drive feel. It's also more low-profile and can be more 'sleeper' as a semi-luxury sedan or sporty wagon.

Of course, even if your brother decides he's got mod-virus and wants to slowly play with upgrading its performance and handling options, there's tons of those options out there and having the back-up of reputable workshops and parts support is readily available.

Only downside is that there might not be many available on the market - Those who love the car usually end up keeping it and renewing COE and continue their mod journey.

• Praise 2

15 hours ago, Aventa said:

Wow didn't expect to garner so many helpful replies.
My brother is a working adult, not ASK (Hence, not a troll post during school holidays 😎)

Appreciate all the useful insights from fellow bros and sis. Hope it helps everyone as well.

He was initially interested in the WRX STI due to 3-5k lower depre than a Type R/EVO, however after factoring insurance and higher repair costs, it might as well be the same cost.

Would you rather spend 68k on a 10 year old WRX STI or 68k on a brand new Honda Jazz? (Running cost is definitely different, so is the driving experience) Hmmm...

Or... Why not S13 or S15? Can go sideways easily.

3 hours ago, Turboflat4 said:

That club is a piece of crap. 

Run (at the time, at least) by a female with a name that's reminiscent of a sweet smelling flower, the club's membership policy still stinks. 

They refused membership to my BMW M5 on the grounds that it was a 4 door car. 

But they'll accept Miatas, Tuscanis and, yes, Copens.

When I went back to a 2 door I didn't even contemplate signing up.

Surprised you even bothered! 🤣

doesn’t sound like you to care. 

47 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

Surprised you even bothered! 🤣

doesn’t sound like you to care. 

I was looking for another way to waste time. 😂

4 hours ago, Turboflat4 said:

Run (at the time, at least) by a female with a name that's reminiscent of a sweet smelling flower, the club's membership policy still stinks. 

Maybe they thot M5 = Mazda 5 MPV? Lol

Internal Moderator
19 hours ago, TeamAMG69 said:

think qualify to join 

https://www.sportscarclub.sg/

Individuals of either gender who is 18 years old and above are eligible to apply for prestige membership.  To apply, individuals must also fulfil one of the following criteria:-

Owner of a private 2-door and 2/4 seater motor vehicle registered in their name.

so 600CC Copen can join SPORT CAR CLUB ?

i used to drive a mid-engine, rear wheel drive and turbocharged vehicle too. can join the club? 😹😹😹

btw, it is a suzuki every. 😹😹😹😹

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

On 1/27/2020 at 9:24 PM, Aventa said:

Hi everyone, my brother's current car is going to the graveyard soon (Honda Civic 1.6A) and he is looking to buy a sports car (PARF/COE) car with 7-8k dep/year. 

Since I do not drive a sports car myself, I casually suggested the usual models such as Civic Type R, Subaru WRX/WRX STI, Evo 10, Toyota MRS, Mazda MX-5, Mazda RX-8. 
2/4/5-seater are fine as he does not have any children.

Your brother wants a SPORT car - Get the Swift Sport - easy and cheap to maintain and this 2 owner used example in stock condition @ $6K annual dep is rare. Most come with multiple owners.

https://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=879031&DL=1000

Never mind the 221,000km mileage - at least you know it's genuine.

Forget about those Civic, WRX, EVO - fuel guzzlers and heavily mod - maintenance can be a nightmare.

Edited by Vinceng
  • Praise 1

6 hours ago, Turboflat4 said:

Rosa**** is still in charge 🤣

• Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Vinceng said:

Your brother wants a SPORT car - Get the Swift Sport - easy and cheap to maintain and this 2 owner used example in stock condition @ $6K annual dep is rare. Most come with multiple owners.

https://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=879031&DL=1000

Never mind the 221,000km mileage - at least you know it's genuine.

Forget about those Civic, WRX, EVO - fuel guzzlers and heavily mod - maintenance can be a nightmare.

Ahemmm.....maybe the 221,000 km mileage oredi tampered

17 minutes ago, Soya said:

Ahemmm.....maybe the 221,000 km mileage oredi tampered

There is no car on the 2nd hand market which do not have their mileage tampered . Lets be realistic.  No dealers can survive selling cars with genuine mileage. 

• Dislike 1

31 minutes ago, RogerNg_185295 said:

There is no car on the 2nd hand market which do not have their mileage tampered . Lets be realistic.  No dealers can survive selling cars with genuine mileage. 

You are generalizing too much. 

• Praise 3

1 hour ago, Lethalstrike said:

Rosa**** is still in charge 🤣

Lol. 😁

It's the sheer stupid arbitrary nature of the policy I objected to. My M140i couldn't join. But if I'd bought the 3 door version of the same car, suddenly can join? 

Anyway, took a look at their website. They've changed things! Emphasis added in bold. 

Prestige Members

Individuals of either gender who is 18 years old and above are eligible to apply for prestige membership.  To apply, individuals must also fulfil one of the following criteria:-

Owner of a private 2-door and 2/4 seater motor vehicle registered in their name.

Owner of a 4-door and 2/4 seater Continental motor vehicle which is the Top Tier range in the Make. i.e Golf R, Megane RS, AMG, M//, Audi RS

Simi sai ish "Prestige Member", ah? 😂

They've obviously added this in as a response to feedback. Basically, a lot of us in the performance car community were laughing at their joke of a membership policy. 😅

• Haha! 1

21 hours ago, Aventa said:

😎

If worry about upkeep cost, buy any brand new NA car at around $70K and mod.

Perodua Bezza is best value at $61K