COE bidding - 1st round of February 2020

Philipkee

4 hours ago, Lotr said:

In the similar position as you. I have shortlisted some new and 2nd hand cars.

Based on current pricing, their depreciation is quite close.

But of course, down-payment and loan amt for new car will still be higher.

Might be a good time to replace my current car

Coe bread and butter and new bread and butter cars are not too far apart in depreciation. 
compare a new Jazz vs a coe Jazz. 

↡ Advertisement

2 hours ago, Vtec170 said:

Hi bro, u mean this model from AD?

2.0 TFSI S tronic (A)

A4? Should be the advertised price is usually for the base model

On 2/8/2020 at 12:02 PM, Lotr said:

In the similar position as you. I have shortlisted some new and 2nd hand cars.

Based on current pricing, their depreciation is quite close.

But of course, down-payment and loan amt for new car will still be higher.

Might be a good time to replace my current car

If coe trends lower again, there is a window of opportunity to get new

• Praise 2

On 2/7/2020 at 7:00 PM, Philipkee said:

Do we know for sure it's the PHV that cause the surge?  I mean anyone knows or we just guess as it seems the most likely...

There is this someone who seems to have bitter feud with phv 

On 2/8/2020 at 9:46 AM, Lotr said:

Price drops...

A4 effective price $139999

9k reduction for passat mid and high trim

Please read the T n C below. The price doesn't include any 'free svcs' nor car cam nor solar film. The $$ they are asking for the latter 2 items are just laughable... Must be Gold plated car cams and solar film wor... 

Terms & Conditions:
(1) Minimum finance 50%, 5 years
(2) In-house AIG insurance
(3) Trade-In vehicle
(4) Applicable for existing stock only
(5) Vehicle registration by Feb 2020.

The below package price is for purchase of the car which includes 5 years (unlimited mileage) warranty and the 1st year road tax. Other packages are chargeable. 

Car Care Package refers to
- 3 years / 45,000 km service
- Audi Front / Rear Recording Camera
- Solar film

Audi A4 Sedan 2.0 TFSI
Retail Price: 188,016
Discount: 8,017
Purchase Price: 179,999
Trade-In Booster: 40,000
Effective Price: 139,999 [without Car Care Package]

Annual Depreciation: 12,100

Effective Price with Car Car Package: 143,988

• Praise 2
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Cheefarn said:

Please read the T n C below. The price doesn't include any 'free svcs' nor car cam nor solar film. The $$ they are asking for the latter 2 items are just laughable... Must be Gold plated car cams and solar film wor... 

Terms & Conditions:
(1) Minimum finance 50%, 5 years
(2) In-house AIG insurance
(3) Trade-In vehicle
(4) Applicable for existing stock only
(5) Vehicle registration by Feb 2020.

The below package price is for purchase of the car which includes 5 years (unlimited mileage) warranty and the 1st year road tax. Other packages are chargeable. 

Car Care Package refers to
- 3 years / 45,000 km service
- Audi Front / Rear Recording Camera
- Solar film

Audi A4 Sedan 2.0 TFSI
Retail Price: 188,016
Discount: 8,017
Purchase Price: 179,999
Trade-In Booster: 40,000
Effective Price: 139,999 [without Car Care Package]

Annual Depreciation: 12,100

Effective Price with Car Car Package: 143,988

Well instead of looking at the individual items, maybe should consider if 144k is a good price for this car, which I think most people will say is worth for the engine and quality

2 hours ago, Midorima said:

Well instead of looking at the individual items, maybe should consider if 144k is a good price for this car, which I think most people will say is worth for the engine and quality

At $144k, they only reduce the selling price by $2k as compared to the $146k selling price at the motorshow.

That's really stingy considering Cat B COE drops by over $6k and is projected to drop even further for the next 3-4 bids easily. 

Anyway, if you take a look at the A4 OMV, you wouldn't consider the price a 'good deal' 

• Praise 4

1 hour ago, Cheefarn said:

At $144k, they only reduce the selling price by $2k as compared to the $146k selling price at the motorshow.

That's really stingy considering Cat B COE drops by over $6k and is projected to drop even further for the next 3-4 bids easily. 

Anyway, if you take a look at the A4 OMV, you wouldn't consider the price a 'good deal' 

That 145k (not 146k as there was insurance subsidy of 1k) motorshow price was a bare car as well. The price with the servicing everything in is 150k. So it is a reduction of 6k. Should get the facts right first.

For OMV it’s around 33k. All in car cost about 112k. Margin about 27% at 144k. 
For a b&b car, say civic, omv about 20k, car cost is 76k. Selling at 96k, that’s a 26% margin. Not too far. So where is your basis of it being overly priced?

Not sure if you are financially trained but when you look at margins, % is a more reliable indicator than absolute amount. If u read across financial statements, % is always used.

• Praise 1

50 minutes ago, Midorima said:

That 145k (not 146k as there was insurance subsidy of 1k) motorshow price was a bare car as well. The price with the servicing everything in is 150k. So it is a reduction of 6k. Should get the facts right first.

For OMV it’s around 33k. All in car cost about 112k. Margin about 27% at 144k. 
For a b&b car, say civic, omv about 20k, car cost is 76k. Selling at 96k, that’s a 26% margin. Not too far. So where is your basis of it being overly priced?

Not sure if you are financially trained but when you look at margins, % is a more reliable indicator than absolute amount. If u read across financial statements, % is always used.

Well ok so 27% profit margin is not high to you. 

• Haha! 1

31 minutes ago, Cheefarn said:

I don't work in the automobile industry so I don't know whether it is high or not. I am saying it is comparable to other makes, so it is not brand specific.

By your logic, I believe you don't own a car since the margin is too high for you even for b&b car. Then I am not sure what are you doing here commenting.

41 minutes ago, Cheefarn said:

Anything that dont involve car cost means showroom/SE wage costs. Ironically these are fixed costs so the extra is a matter of extras divide by volume. For niche players it remains high. For the big germans who actually have high volume it should actually be relatively lower ie. It shouldnt need to be a higher percent margin than other cars (yet it is). However their buyer demographic dun care costs like this so they get away with it.

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, RogerNg_185295 said:

Buy what u can afford,  not buy based on agent profit margin. 

not exactly... the reason why dealer margins are forcibly transparent and admittedly simplified is to allow buyers to make decisions with as much information as possible on hand.. for instance, what 250k can buy at audi, mercs and bmw etc are different. 

to use the example on hand, a 218i coupe has an omv of 31k vs a 34k omv A4, but transacts at a higher price... buyers essentially get "less" car for more money, of course this is discounting the value of the "badge", where the BMW is often considered more attractive than Audi.

it's really just information, and while one should always decide based on one's circumstance, it is definately better to know profit margins than to not know it..

• Praise 5

Hello guys, i wanted to post a thread on this forum but seems like no option for me to post a thread to ask some questions, a few questions :

1) If i pass my driving test lets say on Feb 20 afternoon, am i able to buy a new car on that afternoon straight after i pass my test ? Or i have to wait few days ?

2) I am thinking to buy honda civic 1.6, it cost about 95k, how much should i bring down to the car dealer ? like estimated amount ? 

3) If we don't wish to take up car loan, are we able to just downpayment a portion and remaining maybd installment ?

Thanks guys !

1 hour ago, supermrtan said:

Hello guys, i wanted to post a thread on this forum but seems like no option for me to post a thread to ask some questions, a few questions :

1) If i pass my driving test lets say on Feb 20 afternoon, am i able to buy a new car on that afternoon straight after i pass my test ? Or i have to wait few days ?

2) I am thinking to buy honda civic 1.6, it cost about 95k, how much should i bring down to the car dealer ? like estimated amount ? 

3) If we don't wish to take up car loan, are we able to just downpayment a portion and remaining maybd installment ?

Thanks guys !

din know school out so early nowadays..

1) buy car no need license.. drive car need license.

2) Down payment usually 10k to 15k

3) dunno what u talk.. installment = loan, 

• Haha! 6

2 hours ago, supermrtan said:

Thanks guys !

Can buy today. No need licence to buy a car. 

:D

Tell them jamec send you and I will be collecting my commission later. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 3