Doesn't LTA check its contractors' work?

Kklim

3 hours ago, Throttle2 said:

I dont mean to grouse but as quite a perfectionist myself, i am appalled by how many things are done today.

getting it fixed is not the same as getting it done right to begin with.

This is what differentiates top class from second rated or third rated.

They have top class pay and job security. I'm sure they're very happy. No impetus to improve. 

↡ Advertisement

LTA is the authority,  all works are sub contracted. Any wrong, it is always the contractors. Till they start taking back their responsibilities, they are perfect. Haha

I snapped this some time back too. Not sure if it's deliberate.

Along upper serangoon road, but road sign is back-facing the traffic. Weird if it's meant for the opposite traffic.

20191201_175808.jpg

14 hours ago, Victor68 said:

LTA is the authority,  all works are sub contracted. Any wrong, it is always the contractors. Till they start taking back their responsibilities, they are perfect. Haha

When you assign some work to your team member, do you check that it was properly?

35 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

When you assign some work to your team member, do you check that it was properly?

No, usually people check that it was done properly. Did you check that your sentence was properly? 😛

• Haha! 4

It's most likely intentional to prevent stray lights, maybe confusing motorists from other direction.

Now, they also put more louvers on traffic lights like polarizing the light.

17 minutes ago, Philipkee said:

I am not sure if the answer makes sense to me but what do I know?

Screenshot_20200210-151448_OneService.jpg

My 2 cents interpretation is that this crossing divides the crossing into nearside and farside independently operated lights.

The middle "island"/median lets pedestrians wait while the lights switch to their favour.

I think bugis junction pedestrian crossing operates this way to IIRC.

As to how the tilted louvers aid in covering the green man from being seen from the other side of the road, which is not intended for them, I have no way to tell without being there to observe it.

Maybe you are able to judge the effectiveness. 

25 minutes ago, Nolicense said:

My 2 cents interpretation is that this crossing divides the crossing into nearside and farside independently operated lights.

The middle "island"/median lets pedestrians wait while the lights switch to their favour.

I think bugis junction pedestrian crossing operates this way to IIRC.

As to how the tilted louvers aid in covering the green man from being seen from the other side of the road, which is not intended for them, I have no way to tell without being there to observe it.

Maybe you are able to judge the effectiveness. 

Sorry I think I wasnt clear.  I know what the answer meant. I just dont think it makes sense like in terms of effectiveness.  

Because that junction is a straight junction.  You walk straight across the road iirc.   So if I look up and straight across I will see both the traffic lights in the median and the traffic light at the far sight.  Having the lid to one side does not help in that aspect.

Let's assume that I remember wrongly and at the median I need to do a zig zag so I dont walk straight ahead.  I don't need the lid to be on the side cos if I look up straight ahead I will only see the median traffic light and then turn left and right to cross the far sight and then I will see the traffic light for the far sight.

In short, in both cases, there is no need for the lid to be on the side.  In fact, going by the photo, having the lid on one side will make it even more difficult to see of the sun is shining at it from an angle (from the side).

If they want to ensure we only see it when facing it we should then have the lid in one full circle instead of half a circle..

Edited by Philipkee

8 minutes ago, Philipkee said:

Sorry I think I wasnt clear.  I know what the answer meant. I just dont think it makes sense like in terms of effectiveness.  

Because that junction is a straight junction.  You walk straight across the road iirc.   So if I look up and straight across I will see both the traffic lights in the median and the traffic light at the far sight.  Having the lid to one side does not help in that aspect.

Let's assume that I remember wrongly and at the median I need to do a zig zag so I dont walk straight ahead.  I don't need the lid to be on the side cos if I look up straight ahead I will only see the median traffic light and then turn left and right to cross the far sight and then I will see the traffic light for the far sight.

In short, in both cases, there is need for the lid to be on the side.  In fact, going by the photo, having the lid on one side will make it even more difficult to see of the sun is shining at it from an angle (from the side).

That is what I suspected too. If I'm not mistaken that crossing is along Thomson Rd. I think I know where it is.

And your analysis is right.

Actually while on this topic, allow me to narrate a series of observations.

On this main road, there is a side road very close to the traffic junction.

To prevent vehicles from coming out of the side road to cross to the extreme right in order to make a right turn or U turn, a double white line was painted between the left most and centre lane in front of the side road.

Later, an island was built on the area where the double white lines were. This made it dangerous for cars on the main road to see the island.

To solve that danger, a sign board was erected on the island.

It still proved dangerous as this was a long and straight 3 lane road.

later they demolished the island and made a left turn only island on the side road.

Took them long enough to figure it out over 1 year long.

Edited by Nolicense

21 hours ago, Philipkee said:

In short, in both cases, there is no need for the lid to be on the side.  In fact, going by the photo, having the lid on one side will make it even more difficult to see of the sun is shining at it from an angle (from the side).

If they want to ensure we only see it when facing it we should then have the lid in one full circle instead of half a circle..

put the google map link and share...

i presume there is less or no impact for people with better eyesight... 

21 hours ago, Nolicense said:

That is what I suspected too. If I'm not mistaken that crossing is along Thomson Rd. I think I know where it is.

And your analysis is right.

Actually while on this topic, allow me to narrate a series of observations.

On this main road, there is a side road very close to the traffic junction.

To prevent vehicles from coming out of the side road to cross to the extreme right in order to make a right turn or U turn, a double white line was painted between the left most and centre lane in front of the side road.

Later, an island was built on the area where the double white lines were. This made it dangerous for cars on the main road to see the island.

To solve that danger, a sign board was erected on the island.

It still proved dangerous as this was a long and straight 3 lane road.

later they demolished the island and made a left turn only island on the side road.

Took them long enough to figure it out over 1 year long.

At least they figure it out eventually and amend to the right solution. I guess there are many situation they might never able to figure it out and still think they are right? Lol.

↡ Advertisement