To deter red-light running, 12 more red-light cameras will be installed by March 2020.

kobayashiGT

Internal Moderator
21 minutes ago, iceraider said:

MHA n LTA shld seriously consider installing countdown timer at all traffic light.

Then anyone who run red light should be given harsher penalties. 

Maybe the future IU unit will have such features.

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611520f7c90713031925d

22 minutes ago, iceraider said:

MHA n LTA shld seriously consider installing countdown timer at all traffic light.

Then anyone who run red light should be given harsher penalties. 

They will tell u countdown timer encourages drivers to speed up more and chiong when it's nearing zero....

• Praise 2

45 minutes ago, Soya said:

They will tell u countdown timer encourages drivers to speed up more and chiong when it's nearing zero....

From a 2012 LTA press release (emphasis mine)

We refer to the letter from Mr Charles Ong Hai Beng on the traffic light system (“Countdown Timers for Motorists too?”, TODAY, 4 Jun 2012).

Singapore's traffic light system operates on the Green Link Determining System, or "GLIDE", where the duration of green time at a traffic light junction can be varied according to traffic demands, thus allowing for smoother traffic flow. This therefore makes it operationally challenging to implement countdown timers at traffic junctions.

We had studied the installation of countdown timers at traffic junctions. In 2003, we conducted a trial at the junction of North Bridge Road and Rochor Road to assess the behaviour of motorists towards the countdown timer. The trial showed that motorists displayed varying behaviour when they approached the junction as the countdown timer approaches zero and the lights turn red. Some motorists applied the brakes to stop while others accelerated to beat the light. These observations suggest that the countdown timer may result in a greater likelihood of rear-end collisions at traffic junctions. Studies conducted overseas have also confirmed this observation.

To enhance safety at traffic light junctions, LTA has set a few seconds of an all red period as a buffer in between each change of the traffic light. This is consistent with international practice.

https://www.reddit.com/r/singapore/comments/9jl1nr/why_are_countdown_timers_not_implemented_in/

• Praise 1

18 hours ago, iceraider said:

This will cost them money to install and reduce their income stream from fines so there is no ROI. 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Singapore's traffic light system operates on the Green Link Determining System, or "GLIDE", where the duration of green time at a traffic light junction can be varied according to traffic demands, thus allowing for smoother traffic flow. This therefore makes it operationally challenging to implement countdown timers at traffic junctions.

It's more like a RLIDE

In between 2 traffic junctions, a pedestrian crossing pops up and intentionally timed to prevent you from a GREEN at the next junction, unless you speed at 100km/h.

• Haha! 1

17 minutes ago, Kb27 said:

It's more like a RLIDE

In between 2 traffic junctions, a pedestrian crossing pops up and intentionally timed to prevent you from a GREEN at the next junction, unless you speed at 100km/h.

Am i right to say the traffic lights setting here in between the 2 junction is default see RED at the next junction when you moved off from GREEN at the earlier traffic light de? Thus it prevent smooth traffic flow along a road.

9 minutes ago, 13177 said:

Am i right to say the traffic lights setting here in between the 2 junction is default see RED at the next junction when you moved off from GREEN at the earlier traffic light de? Thus it prevent smooth traffic flow along a road.

Imo, yes. It's timed to always see Red.

6 hours ago, andrewyewkc said:

This will cost them money to install and reduce their income stream from fines so there is no ROI. 

Haha.. thats why have harsher penalties for those who beat e red light.. 

4 hours ago, 13177 said:

Not true, I do drive past consecutive traffic junctions that are still green light in my favour. It is more noticeable in the late evening where traffic are generally lighter.

I think by default each junction have a fixed timing for light changes, the variation comes when some pedestrian presses the traffic light button, and vehicles stopping just before the traffic light (with the sensors on the road).

On 2/12/2020 at 8:37 PM, sinistral said:

Not true, I do drive past consecutive traffic junctions that are still green light in my favour. It is more noticeable in the late evening where traffic are generally lighter.

I think by default each junction have a fixed timing for light changes, the variation comes when some pedestrian presses the traffic light button, and vehicles stopping just before the traffic light (with the sensors on the road).

Must be during night time when traffic is light? During peak hours, you always see red at the next junction, and traffic always become very heavy along the road due to red light.

↡ Advertisement